new Jeep Compass to include a Trail-Rated model

winkosmosis

Explorer
The design is so disjointed. They grafted the organic 90s style Grand Cherokee nose onto the chunky futuristic Patriot....

Skylinerider

Adventurer
The comments here are insane. I don't see anyone railing against Toyota for making the RAV-4 or the highlander. Truth is how many in the real world need a JK rubicon for driving in the snow or driving down a dirt road or even most of the "expeditions" we see on this site? This fits a niche, much like the RAV-4 or CRV.

tommudd

Explorer
The comments here are insane. I don't see anyone railing against Toyota for making the RAV-4 or the highlander. Truth is how many in the real world need a JK rubicon for driving in the snow or driving down a dirt road or even most of the "expeditions" we see on this site? This fits a niche, much like the RAV-4 or CRV.

If you ever notice there is a ton of difference in a Toyota owner and " a few" Jeep owners.
The "few" think that every Jeep produced should be like a CJ with no frills and never move forward into the 21st century.
Where as the Toyota owners ( along with a lot or most all of the Jeep owners) accept that you must make different models in today's market.
My Grandfather once had a Bull that no matter what if he did not want to move or go somewhere to breed the cows he would not, could hook a tractor to him and he wouldn't budge. So he bought another bull and we ate the stubburn one. :victory:

winkosmosis

Explorer

The problem I see with the Compass is it hurts the brand identity.

The Patriot at least looks like a Jeep and serves a segment of buyers, but the Compass is just pure car, with a Grand Cherokee fascia.

How does it make any sense for your offroad vehicles brand to be selling cars? It's like if VAG started selling Lamborghini SUVs, when they already have VW, Audi, and even Porsche SUVs. Speaking of which, the Cayenne is actually justified because they sell so many of them, to people who wouldn't have bought the Touareg twin. How many Compasses is Jeep selling? How many Compasses is Jeep selling to people who wouldn't have bought a Nitro or even a real Jeep like the Liberty?

BTW, did you guys notice that the Liberty is also switching to a car platform? We've come a "long way" since the XJ...

x32792

Adventurer
New Compass Trail Rated

The New Compass will have more chrome looking plastic, more cup holders and is Soccer Mom and Poser approved.

If by Trail Rated, they mean down to the 7-11 in fair weather for a 32oz Slurpee and back home, you're good to go.

winkosmosis

Explorer
I don't think soccer moms will buy it, it's too small.

Yet it has that "luxury" front end from the Grand. Who is it appealing to?

jeeepguy

Adventurer

Look at the production numbers for Toyota and then Jeep. If your production is BIG enough, you can absorb the costs of making niche products to augment your sales figures. Jeep doesn't have that luxury. Also, Jeep has come to be known as THE brand to buy a rugged, capable vehicle, WORLDWIDE. Brand identity is crucial to Jeeps long -term existence. Jeep is the Post Foods of the auto world. You don't see Ralcorp trying to make spaghetti sauce under the Post brand. Why? Because Post is VERY successful making cereal under its name. Thats what they are known for and they stick to that, making it very well and profitably. Ralcorp has other brands to sell spaghetti sauce under and create success there. Current Jeep management needs to take a lesson from these kinds of companies. BRAND IDENTITY is everything. Caterpillar doesn't build cars for a reason, neither should Jeep.

People can rail all they want about advancement and expansion. They are the ones buying these cute-utes just to have the name badge. Unfortunately, their purchases help spur the notion amongst the unknowing. Jeep WILL fail as a brand if they continue on this path. Their only hope is to retrench and resume production of what they are known for. And even with this, I even find the SRT8 an awesome vehicle.

BTW, the RAV4 proves my point. Ever seen one of those "trail rated"? :coffeedrink: And as for the Highlander... :shakin: its Durango for more money... nothing more.

The day Jeep killed off the XJ and started down its current path is the day Jeep started its slow "crawl" (no pun intended) to its death. Produce a J8, J8 pickup, Wrangler, Cherokee and Grand and the brand lives. Nuff said...

Who the h**l would ever want one of those lame crossover vehicles anyhow? They are USELESS...

tommudd

Explorer
World wide ??? Don't think so but what would you know right
Hard to find any kind of Jeep in say Tanzania, seen three in the last 60 days I have been there.
Toyotas everywhere though and super easy to get parts for.
Jeep not so much i checked.
Thats why I have a Toyota there
Oh well this is going no where since you think you have all the answers, no use wasting my time arguing with anyone stuck back 20 years ago.
Move on or get lost in the dust
Oh by the way I know you've never driven a Rav 4 since you are anti anything, but I have and it went great for what it is, and that was even on roads that most would be locked in thinking they need to have 40 inch tires and locked both ends.
Hope to meet you on a trail someday though and pull you out after your antiquated ride breaks down
Have a good life jeeepguy
I have been and will continue to do so :victory:

haven

Expedition Leader
OK, place your bets.

On one side, it's jeeepguy, who says Jeep can survive _only_ if the company holds true to its off-road roots. No pandering to people who don't want or need a vehicle that's designed for serious trail work.

On the other side, there's Fiat, Chrysler and Jeep management, plus Jeep dealers. They believe Jeep needs to build vehicles for a wider audience. The off-road machines will still be built, but they will share the showroom with vehicles that don't have a two speed transfer case.

In 10 years, we'll see which approach is right.

Maybe this question has already been answered. Jeep fans predicted the end of days when Jeep introduced the unibody Grand Cherokee in 1993. Wasn't Jeep supposed to fail when Willys replaced the original Station Wagon with the larger and more luxurious Wagoneer in 1963?

winkosmosis

Explorer
OK, place your bets.

On one side, it's jeeepguy, who says Jeep can survive _only_ if the company holds true to its off-road roots. No pandering to people who don't want or need a vehicle that's designed for serious trail work.

On the other side, there's Fiat, Chrysler and Jeep management, plus Jeep dealers. They believe Jeep needs to build vehicles for a wider audience. The off-road machines will still be built, but they will share the showroom with vehicles that don't have a two speed transfer case.

In 10 years, we'll see which approach is right.

Maybe this question has already been answered. Jeep fans predicted the end of days when Jeep introduced the unibody Grand Cherokee in 1993. Wasn't Jeep supposed to fail when Willys replaced the original Station Wagon with the larger and more luxurious Wagoneer in 1963?

The XJ was already unibody.

Until now though, Jeep has kept true to offroad roots. The Liberty is still a capable vehicle and so was the WK. But the brand new Grand Cherokee is based on a Mercedes crossover and the Liberty will soon be built on a Fiat CAR platform.

Switching all your models to cars but the Wrangler is a far cry from making a luxurious wagoneer.

jeeepguy

Adventurer
Hope to meet you on a trail someday though and pull you out after your antiquated ride breaks down

:jump: antiquated... now thats funny. :jump:

I can bet both my 20yo heeps are in FAR better shape than your shiny new rig and I can limp them out IF they ever broke unlike your computerized c**p which if it fails, you're dead. BTW, do you know how to put your rig into "limp" mode if the ECU or TCU fail? lol... and I doubt we'll meet on the trail... you couldn't get to where I usually go without scratching some paint or tearing off an IFS arm. But I'll keep an eye out just in case you need a tug or a ride back into town. Thats how us offroaders are. :D

Ciao! :safari-rig:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles