Anyone tried these Red Wing boots ??

constructeur

Adventurer
I had a pair of 1907's for 2 years of very hard use when I worked for a TI company, no complaints. Well they take a minute to break in, but after that you'll be golden.

That exact model is what every iron worker, and quite a few carpenters I've worked with over the years wears.

If you won't be using them that hard, and are interested in somethign a good bit cheaper check out the Wingshooter 838's by Irish Setter ( a company owner by Red Wing). It's nearly the same boot made, just made overseas. I've had a pair of those as well and was happy with them. A bit easier to break in than the 1907's, but they only lasted me 18 months.

Whichever you get don't forget to clean them and grease them.

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
I'd also be interested in how well those soles hold up. I got a pair from Duluth Trading this past June and have worn them almost everyday, they are ultra comfy, but the Vibram soles are totally worn smooth now. I was just about to get them resoled. The duluth's are $150 and made in Wisconsin.

image.aspx

It depends on what you're using the boots for.

If you're out hiking on trails, they're going to wear out fast, I think. I've heard that the crepe soles wear out fast, period. If you like the particular style of the boot, you might ask as to whether you can get the brand-new boots resoled with a more durable sole at one of the Red Wing shops your local store send them to. I have these 2326 models right now:

2326.jpg

I am taking them back (unused) as I got them recently and found that the 1626 model is the same thing, without the steel toe cap (might be a problem in cold or hot weather on the trail or road). These are women's boots, mind you. Also, I will take the replacements to the other Red Wing store where they do the resoling and have the industrial soles taken off for the more aggressive trail sole style. I love these! They fit my A width like a GLOVE! The best fit I have ever found, and they are a traditional-stitch boot, to boot (pardon the pun). They have a fiberglass shank for ladder work.

I will buy more of these, but I have another boot from Lowa that I ordered yesterday through my company, the Lowa Banff Pro in the narrow width. I have to try them on first before committing to buying more of either one.

Currently, I'm wearing the women's hikers, a tan suede that Red Wing doesn't make anymore, and the black ones (model 2380) here:

2380.jpg

They have been good boots, as I've had them for nearly 4 years without ANY problems EXCEPT that they were the best fit I could find at the time (had forgotten about their work boots I had bought in the 90s), meaning they still run wide on me even though they are a women's B width. The new work boots have a MUCH better fit, as they wrap around the foot just behind the ball of the foot, all the way back to the heel and over the instep, and up around the ankle. Unbelievable fit, as I don't have to pucker the lace sides to get the boot to grip the foot at all. They seem comfortable with a minimum of break-in.

BeachinFJ

Observer
I haven't used that model, but typically I've gotten 16-18 months out of the redwings that I've used (2245 or 4410):coffee:

CoronaKJ

Adventurer
Used red wings for two seasons as a wildland firefighter because I was cheap...paid the price for it in foot pain and the boots were toast half way through the season..switched to Whites and Nicks and still wear both sets for the last six years for work and pleasure hiking and just switch out to whichever pair is dry and clean. Will probably never go to any other brand of boot.

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
Red wings are crap IMO. I used them for years and a pair would last me about ~6-10 months of daily use.

Then my wife got me a pair of Vibergs for my birthday back in winter 2007 and they're still barely broken in, and look like new.

Red wings are crap IMO. I used them for years and a pair would last me about ~6-10 months of daily use.

Then my wife got me a pair of Vibergs for my birthday back in winter 2007 and they're still barely broken in, and look like new.

That's too bad... They used to make a decent boot. So far, my hikers have held up well, though after four years of wearing them 130 days a year (give or take a few days - I wear one pair half the time and the other the other half of the time), the outsoles are either cracking or starting to come unglued at the very tops of the rands.

I've got the model 1626 coming to me any day now. I'm going to buy another two pairs for a total of three pairs to tide me over until I can afford to have custom boots or the average consumer changes their dietary, slim down, and start asking for proper-width shoes. Anyhow, these are the ONLY non-custom boots that fit me correctly so far.

Rigged

Observer
I wear Red Wings everyday for work. They have been the best boots that I have ever worn. I have a pair that I've had since '07 and they feel like slippers. I am going to resole them after this year. I prefer them to sneakers most days. Good Luck.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Im fairly certain that there is only ONE line of Redwings that is still made in the USA.

The the ones that are made in the USA do NOT have the good yellow tag Vibram soles. They have some silly "street" tread soles.

The ones with the good yellow tag Vibram soles are all made in China. It is no wonder they fall apart.

Ive been on the hunt for a great set of boots for years now. I had high hopes for the Vasque boots Ive got now. Heavy grade leather, toe guards, fiberglass shank, goretex, and a yellow tag Vibram sole.

But even they are falling apart. the transition between the tow guard and the leather is failing.

The soles are better than 80% though. Even after 3 years of wear, 100+ miles of it being backpacking.

Im fairly certain that there is only ONE line of Redwings that is still made in the USA.

The ones I have new, the models 2326 and the 1626, are made in the USA of IMPORTED materials. I have yet to wear them, though I'm going to have to move to them soon as I discovered one of my older hiking boots has its outsole delaminated from near the toe back through the arch into the front of the heel. Whoops! Good thing I caught it before it would rip out at the beginning of a work shift. Clup-slap, clup-slap, clup-slap all day! I'm going to wear my old black pair until something similar happens.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Of course it does. :rolleyes:

The fact remains though, a real boot should have a real sole.

One that doesnt get torn up and wear out fast.

The yellow tag Vibram is the ONLY one in the RedWing line that offers such durability and life.

The problem with that, is that the only ones with such a sole are made in China.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles