Anyone tried these Red Wing boots ??

verdesardog

Explorer
Try some "superfeet" insoles. I have them in all my boots! They are NOT soft and do not wear out, they support your feet so much better than any soft type of inserts.

mchambers

Observer
I have been selling Red Wing boots as well as other brands for years. I hear people every day saying that the boots are not as good as they used to be. In all honesty this is actually true and not true at the same time. 30 years ago, most shoes had a solid sole made out of 1 material and stitched to the shoe with a physical connection (called a Goodyear Welt) As the generation that wore these shoes has retired and hopefully enjoying some well deserved expedition travel and the younger generation that is taking over is used to wearing tennis shoes and such and demands a softer more flexible work shoe. A shoe is kind of like a tire, a tough hard tire will take al kinds of abuse but doesn't especially do great on a 1000 mile highway trip. Likewise a soft sole will have less weight and give a much softer feel and comfort but will wear down quicker. A harder sole will wear longer but will be harder on the feet and harder to break in.
As for Red Wing. They are a Family owned American company and one of the few that will actually repair and rework shoes in house. They can resole the Supersole and supersole 2.0 shoes on the same equipment they were originally built on. One note here, they can't resole new safety toe shoes but canresole them after wearing for a short while. AlsoSupersoles can't be resoled if you have worn a hole all the way through the midsole.
I also like Justin boots. They are now one of the largest domestic manufacturers of work boots. Enjoy.

Mchambers, what is considered "new?" I have the women's work boots with the stitched soles. I've had one pair's soles switched over to the vibram soles when I bought them brand new as a conversion.

sourdough

Adventurer
Used red wings for two seasons as a wildland firefighter because I was cheap...paid the price for it in foot pain and the boots were toast half way through the season..switched to Whites and Nicks and still wear both sets for the last six years for work and pleasure hiking and just switch out to whichever pair is dry and clean. Will probably never go to any other brand of boot.

Both have shops in Spokane,Wa. where I've lived for 22 years. Locally and PNW known, either are worth every penny.

mchambers

Observer
Mainly talking about the soles that use layers of different materials. Some soles can have up to 12 different parts per sole and are typically attached using cement bond construction. The only time you have issues with resoling new boots is safety toes. They are tested to meet the ASTM standards ASTM 2413 in this case and have to be delivered configured as tested. After they are worn they are no longer considered as tested and can be altered without lawyers jumping up and down and developing all sorts of nervous tics. Meant to pull my catalog today and check the specs on your shoe but my day got away from me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles