Anyone using a 2nd gen 1500 ram

bftank

Explorer
what cw said.

you might try finding a dakota instead. i know some of them came with a 5.9l.

on pirate turbosniper has a good build on a 1500 2nd gen. and ffdustyw.

i like the idea of a dakota with fullsize axles and a moose bed

for dakota ideas you might look at some of pirates s10 builds. there are quite a few of them.

frumpy

Explorer
CJW - I understand what you are saying and I have personally wheeled a TJ YJ and ZJ and dont think a full size ram will be much worse then the ZJ. I have mainly ruled out the Jeeps/zuks/toyota's due to axles weakness. Jeeps have the dana 44 in the TJ but they are usually a bit more pricey and harder to come by. Most have the dana 35 (including my old TJ and YJ) and are more of a head ache then anythink. A 8.8 will swap in but then you need an sye and some modding/building of the axle. The zuks/toys are either solid axle and carbed or ifs and injected (with the exception of a very few of which I have yet to find north of the border and not basket cases). Also, with my skill levels of fabbing, a SAS is out.

The stock axles on a 1500 should be able to handle 35s with no issues and the upgrade to one ton axles are bolt in which is why its ideal to me. I already have a good winch sitting in my shed and I'm not afraid to use a sawzall or get body damage.

Bftank - I actually currently have a dakota (2 wheel drive though). The 5.9 only came in the R/T as far as I know and those are 2wd. The biggest issue for me with the dakota's from a wheeling stand point is the weak IFS and doesn't seem to be a lot of aftermarket support for them.

I've already looked at ffdustyw build a lot and Ramv has a really nice build as well. Haven't seen turbosniper's build yet but I'll check it out.

I know I'm leaning strong towards a ram but its mainly due to the axles (decent axles in them and super easy to upgrade) and a good sized V8 to power it as well as the availability of the truck.

bftank

Explorer
mountainram is another good one. his build is called "building a dodge exo"

i would look for a reg cab 2500 with the 360 or v10 in it. then there is no axle swapping. put in a leveling kit from kore, and add tires and wheels. then youcould do 37"s with some trimming.

CJW

CJW - I understand what you are saying and I have personally wheeled a TJ YJ and ZJ and dont think a full size ram will be much worse then the ZJ. I have mainly ruled out the Jeeps/zuks/toyota's due to axles weakness. Jeeps have the dana 44 in the TJ but they are usually a bit more pricey and harder to come by. Most have the dana 35 (including my old TJ and YJ) and are more of a head ache then anythink. A 8.8 will swap in but then you need an sye and some modding/building of the axle. The zuks/toys are either solid axle and carbed or ifs and injected (with the exception of a very few of which I have yet to find north of the border and not basket cases). Also, with my skill levels of fabbing, a SAS is out.

The stock axles on a 1500 should be able to handle 35s with no issues and the upgrade to one ton axles are bolt in which is why its ideal to me. I already have a good winch sitting in my shed and I'm not afraid to use a sawzall or get body damage.

Bftank - I actually currently have a dakota (2 wheel drive though). The 5.9 only came in the R/T as far as I know and those are 2wd. The biggest issue for me with the dakota's from a wheeling stand point is the weak IFS and doesn't seem to be a lot of aftermarket support for them.

I've already looked at ffdustyw build a lot and Ramv has a really nice build as well. Haven't seen turbosniper's build yet but I'll check it out.

I know I'm leaning strong towards a ram but its mainly due to the axles (decent axles in them and super easy to upgrade) and a good sized V8 to power it as well as the availability of the truck.

If you're set on it then more power to you. I'll just say this. The d44 is alright under the Ram when open but if you put in a locker all bets are off. Just like the d30 and d35's under the Jeeps. Do a search for mikeg1005 on PS.com and count how many front shafts he broke before putting in his d60. He was running 36" TSL's but it's the same thing. It sounds like you're set on this so I won't try to talk you out of it but if it was me I'd do 1 tons and short wheelbase right away.

frumpy

Explorer
mountainram is another good one. his build is called "building a dodge exo"

i would look for a reg cab 2500 with the 360 or v10 in it. then there is no axle swapping. put in a leveling kit from kore, and add tires and wheels. then youcould do 37"s with some trimming.

I had seen turbosniper's truck before but didn't find a build thread. Mountainrams is nice as well. Lots of good info. I think I may keep my eyes open for a 2500 if the price is right. Would save upgrading the 1500 for sure.

If you're set on it then more power to you. I'll just say this. The d44 is alright under the Ram when open but if you put in a locker all bets are off. Just like the d30 and d35's under the Jeeps. Do a search for mikeg1005 on PS.com and count how many front shafts he broke before putting in his d60. He was running 36" TSL's but it's the same thing. It sounds like you're set on this so I won't try to talk you out of it but if it was me I'd do 1 tons and short wheelbase right away.

I'm not 100% set on it but as of now I think its the best option for me. I'd love to take a TJ and swap in one tons lockers and 40s but I don't have the skills or budget for that.

If I go the 1500 route I will probably leave it open until I swap in one tons (or see if the stock axles hold up fine for 35's) I can always upgrade to chromoly shafts.

CJW

I don't think turbosniper has a build thread. I've found plenty of pics but I think one time he said he didn't do a whole thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior