No fridge...thoughts from the boat people

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
Thank you for posting that link! It gives me some more ideas for our trip to Chile! We are planning on flying down with a single-burner gasoline stove and a collapsible cooler to prepare meals as we drive around the country in a rental car!

Errant

Explorer
Don't forget about the usefullness of evaportive cooling in dry climates. In the desert, it would be easy to set up some sort of a Zeer pot to keep water and veggies cool. Heck, you can even cool a sixer of beer by tying it up in a wet burlap sack and hanging it in the shade :)

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Don't forget about the usefullness of evaportive cooling in dry climates. In the desert, it would be easy to set up some sort of a Zeer pot to keep water and veggies cool. Heck, you can even cool a sixer of beer by tying it up in a wet burlap sack and hanging it in the shade :)

I didn't know that. way cool.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
That is great Lance, good find.

When Amy and I were living full-time on the boat we went for 1.5 years without a refrigerator. So when we finally got one it was the lap of luxury!

:088:

AchillesBogart

Adventurer
You can dehydrate most anything. Its a real good way to go if space and weight are at a premium, I dried about 30 gallons of chanterelles this year down to about 2. Plus, as long as they stay dry, the food will keep for a very long time. Good airtight containers are a must though. Since it takes a few hours to rehydrate the food, you can put the food in water either in the morning or the meal before.

This book is 90 years old but it has great tips on dehydrating and recipes to cook with.

http://books.google.com/books?id=I983AAAAMAAJ&dq=dehydrating&pg=PP9#v=onepage&q&f=false

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
cool old book...
that will make for some good reading at work, thanks for the link

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne