Autohome in sub-zero weather.

jpmccurry

Does anyone know how well an Autohome RTT with their added insulation does in extreem cold. Or would it be better if I insulate the interior of the Delica, loosing the space, sightlines, and the everyday usefullness of the van's interior. I need to stay warm at night sleeping in sub-zero temps. Any ideas people, are there any of you who are hardy/foolish enough to camp under these conditions for extended periods of time? What are some of your solutions? Thank You!

CruiserArtist

Observer
Autohome is sub-zero weather

I have used my AirLand from autohome in -10, no added cover, no problems. I use a sub zero mummy bag, sleep in smartwool underwear with alpaca socks, beanie hat and occasionally use a down or wool blanket over all that, snug as a bug, sometimes too snug/warm. Also the mattress surface makes a difference, I use a flannel cover sheet for the mattress. I hear that a polartec liner is also a great addition for bags rated higher than sub-zeros. The only thing to be concerned about sleeping in sub-zero temps is breathing....I use the blanket or the sleeping bag hood to cover my face so I breathe only warmer air from exhaled breaths. You get used to that.

Last edited:

CSG

Explorer
A tent is a tent, even with a little extra insulation. All a tent can do is keep the wind and weather off you. It's all about the sleeping bag and insulation under you IMO. I avoid weather extremes the best I can because it's really not fun when you're either roasting or freezing.

mrchips

Adventurer
://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63623?pi=1066187&qs=3012739-Google_Base&subrnd=0

spend the money on this mattress, it will insulate you from the cold underneath you, and then a good bag, and you will sleep very well.
They are pricey but well worth the money.

CSG

Explorer
Or get it from Amazon with free shipping for $25 less:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Therm-A-Rest-01731-Thermarest-DreamTime-Large/dp/B002PWCTHI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1292085063&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Thermarest DreamTime: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Xterabl

Adventurer
But it is worth noting that some of the sleeping pads are specifically engineered to not just insulate, but to reflect body heat. People I know swear they can feel heat radiating back to them when they lie on their mats, FWIW.

jpmccurry

Thanks for the replys! I already have most of my gear for winter camping, and I travel long distances on my motorcycles, so staying warm really isn't the problem. I live in Northern Canada, so the winter thing is nothing new, I guess I should have worded my question a little better. How does the AutoHome work setting it up and taking it down in the cold. Does it seal properly over extended use in sub-0 climates? The sort of everyday thing you would do while overlanding in the warmer months. Sorry about that, I will choose my words more carefully next time. Again, "Thanks"!

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Couple observations

Maggiolinas are like like alpine tents, the roof is low on purpose to help with passive heating. The roof and floor are insulated and you can get a winter hood that acts like a light windbreaker. I would highly recommend the ACS (anti-condensation) mat, works like a box spring and helps air out the mattress, give a nice little cush too. From what I hear from folks that go into really cold conditions is that you get about 20 degrees, so if it is 30 degrees outside it is roughly 50 degrees inside but it takes a while to warm up.

One fellow up in BC who does a lot of winter camping told me he carries a little 12 volt heated blanket inside the tent. When you are traveling have it plugged in so when you open the tent it is warm and dry inside.

Camping with a buddy in high elevation Mexico in the winter, he had a small Maggiolina Extreme and I had a small folding rooftent. I froze with two sleeping bags, he was warm with sheets and blankets.

I would probably steer you away from the newer Maggiolinas with the air springs toward one with the old style crank mechanisms. There was a cool old one called the Maggiolina Adventure, I don't know if they are still made. It was about four inches shorter and had a rack up on top so you could throw wet and dirty gear up there, stuff you didn't want in the truck. I used one about ten years ago and was really impressed. I woke up and it was really cold outside and had snowed, had no idea. But, I've never been in weather like you are planning for so take what I say in that context.

Rich

jpmccurry

The Canadian rep up here has a Aventure that he uses to demo, and was going to sell me at a discount. The thing is, on the Delica I have a rear center mounted ladder, the Delica has a 6'' lift, and rides on 35"s. The thing is huge, and I don't think that the ladder that is included would reach, besides, it would be a pain to set up as opposed to the rear ladder thats already attached. The new Air Top has really caught my eye, and I know that the struts would be a pain in the winter, but I would have the carbon heated mat, which I would turn on for awhile before opening, it might help warm the fluid in the struts before the roof is raised. The rear door entrence is the real selling point for me.73922_10150092296923179_513888178_7306964_993320_n.jpg

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
The AutoHome tents are supplied with two different ladders - we always supply a tall alloy ladder that extends to 108" - the only vehicle that I have found that it does not work on is a high top Sprinter van. Not quite tall enough for that.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
The Canadian rep up here has a Aventure that he uses to demo, and was going to sell me at a discount. The thing is, on the Delica I have a rear center mounted ladder, the Delica has a 6'' lift, and rides on 35"s. The thing is huge, and I don't think that the ladder that is included would reach, besides, it would be a pain to set up as opposed to the rear ladder thats already attached. The new Air Top has really caught my eye, and I know that the struts would be a pain in the winter, but I would have the carbon heated mat, which I would turn on for awhile before opening, it might help warm the fluid in the struts before the roof is raised. The rear door entrence is the real selling point for me.View attachment 50604
good God that's a nice unit.....could you show me more of it? I think I want one....like tomorrow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles