Roller Skies

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
It's December, and the Swiss blood inside me tells me it's time to go skiing. Problem is that the only snow we most likely will see here in NW Georgia is a flurry (singular :elkgrin:). In Switzerland, cross country skiers are using roller skies in summer to stay in shape. What works in Swiss summers could work in Georgia winters. Anybody here on this board has some experience with roller skiing?

fisher205

Explorer
I like the V2 Aero's for skate skiing when I was training www.skinnyskis.com/Department/Brands/V2.aspx . But have used the other V2's also. Swenor is another good brand. Find a big empty parking lot or an aphalt track to practice on. They don't slow down very good unless you get the brake attachment. Another inexpensive way is to just get a pair of rollerblades to use. Also I highly recommend getting protective gear. I have more road rash scars from the blades and ski's than I have ever got from road bikes. - Brad

njsjeep

Observer
There are only a few brands of roller skis available in the US and they are all pretty good. One particular piece of advice though, is to avoid any model with wide, soft wheels. These are used primarily for practice with classical technique; althougth, V2 does and Proski did make some skate models with that feature. The big hazard with a soft wheel is that rocks can and will, stick into them causing the wheel to jam against the frame, stopping the ski instantly and leaving the rest of you to fend for yourself.

Some will say that the harder, narrower wheels have less resistance, giving you less of a workout. But I think just upping the pace makes up for the difference in rolling resistance. Although, nothing can compare to near heart-bursting rush of having your roller ski wheel lock up on a big descent.
There are hard-narrow wheeled models available with adjustable drag devices and/or integrated brakes. These are nice features for those wanting more resistance or who might not be comfortable using possibly difficult to maneuver and otherwise potentially impossible to stop skis.

Use sturdy poles with carbide tips and no baskets. Carbide bites into most surfaces well and baskets can cause the pole to deflect off without holding.

The only protective gear I personally use for roller skiing is a pair of gloves since the pole grips cause blisters on my bare hands. I do, however, recommend using a helmet and as many pads as you are comfortable wearing. Practicing in a safe, flat area is also a good idea before heading out to that steep narrow road for a workout.

Accrete

Explorer
i haven't a clue as to the current Rollerskiing, but... If my memory serves me well, and you enjoy being in the great outdoors, you should enjoy adding rollerskiing to the hobby list : )

. . . way back in 1979 i ran a record shop near the prom in Santa Cruz. Nearly every-other day after work i would don on the rollerskis (can't remember the brand) and _ski_ the bike/skate path that ran parallel to the beach and love'd it. I would go back and forth on days between the skis and standard skates (as i used to be on a roller hockey team). Both were great exercise and easy ice breakers for meeting new peeps. So including roller blades as the poster above suggested might be good too.

cheers,
Thom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles