Slow and steady: '91 F-250 diesel build

84scrambler

Observer
nice pop up was that the one for sale up in redding i wanted to go gat it never had the time though. nice truck to :sombrero:

BCHauler

Adventurer
Oh boy, do I like your truck. My last truck (dearly departed, sorely missed) was a 94 150 gasser with the 5.8 and had the copper/metallic tan color combo. Your truck is my favorite color combo and generation of Fords. Looking forward to reading more.

trasko

Adventurer
Yes, this is the one from Redding. She's a little rough around the edges in some spots but she's solid like all FWCs. If it doesn't sell soon I'm gonna fix up her up as good as new.

Current state of affairs with the fuel leak can be seen in the attached picture.

It might be that the barb for the return lines is knicked all to hell (******?) but it seems most people experience problems with the fuel heater. It indeed had fuel in the connector so that must be at least part of the problem. Tomorrow I'll be searching for viton o-rings so I can get the truck back on the road. If anyone happens to have exact part numbers or sizes I'd appreciate it.

This is a great thread about the leaky fuel heater plug: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/859602-fuel-heater-fix-directions-w-pics.html

Attachments

• fuel_filter_sploded.jpg
    fuel_filter_sploded.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 9

trasko

Adventurer
Best of luck sorting out the leak. IDI can be a total pain when it comes to sorting that out and many people resort to an electric pump--although it is more of a band aid imo. I have a FASS system on my wish list :drool:

Did you see this? It was listed for $300 a few days ago.... http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=13998125&cat=&lpid=&search=ford turbo Its the older 088 non waste gated like mine.

Thanks for the tips. Would an electric pump cure this leak? I've never heard of the FASS system. Looks like it's a suped up fuel pump / filtering setup? One of the things that always attracted me to the IDIs is that they were are the last of the all-mechanical Fords. I guess I haven't been in to trucks or diesels long enough to have gotten bitten by the performance bug. I'm still learning my way around the engine compartment.

As for that turbo, it looks like the guy upped the price. I bet he got a lot of interest at $300. $400 still seems pretty fair considering the fact that turbos for these are so hard to come by. Does that price seem good to ya'll? I'm not one to pass up a good deal and I know I'll be getting one sooner or later.

Rot Box

Explorer
I think anything under $500 is a great deal for an good IDI turbo kit. The 088 isn't the best option, but it is a very good one. I called the guy the other day and I'll bet he would take $300 plus shipping if you called and made the offer. If you do you better hurry deals don't last :bike_rider:

With a mechanical pump your motor has to be turning over or running to prime the fuel system. With and electric pump it primes by turning on the key whether the motor is running or not. This is great for purging air like when you accidentally run out of fuel or if your fuel drains back to the tank. This puts far less strain on the batteries and starter. That said once you get your air intrusion under control you won't have to worry about it.

I appreciate the mechanical stuff as well I just wish the mechanical pumps on our motors had a priming lever like the first gen Cummins. Open the bleeder, pump until fuel comes out and thats it :drool: Having to crank the motor over to purge air is a poor design on Fords part. The Fass system is nice because it removes air from the system, has easy to change and service filters and is all self contained but it doesn't come cheap.

PS don't get bit by the performance bug or you'll have to sell the IDI in favor of a PSD, D-max or Cummins lol. A turbo and 4" exhaust will be a night and day difference in power after that it's a Moose pump and BB injectors :elkgrin:

trasko

Adventurer
Been awhile. The fix to the fuel filter heater o-rings did the trick. I didn't find viton ones in time so they'll need replacing again sooner or later. I imagine they'll last till the next filter change.

Funny ever since that work:
1) The truck doesn't fast-idle any more -- just goes straight to standard idle.
2) When cold I always get about 10 seconds of smoke and rough running when I first crank it up.

After it settles after the smoke it's golden and seemingly doesn't care about the lack of fast idle. It used to stay on fast idle a reliable 2-3 minutes. And it's only gotten colder. This is San Francisco area, though, so we're talking 40F when I say "colder."

I've got some updates on the camper as well. It isn't selling at my minimum price so as promised I'm going to fix her up! That's exciting but I wish I had a place I could store it and get my bed back.

psychohawk

Observer
Funny ever since that work:
1) The truck doesn't fast-idle any more -- just goes straight to standard idle.
2) When cold I always get about 10 seconds of smoke and rough running when I first crank it up.

Go to Oilburners.net ... look for the 6.9/7.3 IDI forum ... great group there ... someone can help.

Carl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94