Tepui Tent RTT

surferdude78

Observer
Looks like you got one of their first production models since my Kukenam Ruggedized has the mesh pocket storage & D-rings flanking the doors & anchor tie downs on the base corners. Didn't find any issues with hardware or any dirt inside my tent & the ACM wasn't attached to the base but laying securely under the mattress. I, too, loved seeing the heavy duty packaging with the 3/8" tempered hardboard pads protecting the base - the carton looked as though it was used in one of those old Samsonite guerrilla commercials after FedEx delivered it but the tent inside was fine.

Overall, you can also count me a very pleased Tepui customer. :clapsmile

Lecoq

Explorer
Osidepunker, How much would you say the weight is once unpacked? I'm really thinking of getting one but the Tepui site says over 200 lbs, which is more than I want to load on my roof.

Thank you

stingray1300

Explorer
^So is it as thick as the Tepui pad? I'm not sure that a 2" would fit in my Ayer when closed up, although it probably compresses? Any pictures of it in place that you could share? Thanks :)

I don't have the tent mounted yet (next week). The Tepui pad is 2.5 inches. After listening to a LOT of folks, the collective wisdom is to add a 2" memory foam pad on top of the 2.5 Inch factory pad -IF you want a real :like home" feel to the tent... I do. The memory foam will compress fine (you shoulda seen how small a box this Cal King x 2" pad came in!). That and a 1/2" anti-condensation pad (from DryMesh if they ever answer my e-mail), and I should be walkin in tall cotton!.
Itching to get out camping and try this thing out! I'll post pics when I get it all set up next week. (helping a friend move Tuesday -hey, that's what "trucks" are for, ain't it?:) and then I get a spray-in bed liner Wednesday. THEN I can get the shell on, then the RTT.)

stingray1300

Explorer
Osidepunker, How much would you say the weight is once unpacked? I'm really thinking of getting one but the Tepui site says over 200 lbs, which is more than I want to load on my roof.

Thank you

Lecoq, I have the Gran Sabana, the largest tent they make, and it weighs 150# (+30# for the annex, but I'll leave it in the storage bag until deployed). It's a lot lighter feeling once you get all the packing and parts out of it as it is shipped.

HTH!

osidepunker

Adventurer
Looks like you got one of their first production models since my Kukenam Ruggedized has the mesh pocket storage & D-rings flanking the doors & anchor tie downs on the base corners.

No I got a recent model. But I have the XL, which doesnt come with the storage pockets like the regular Kukenam Ruggedized

Thank you

The website does say that it weighs 200lbs, but they are also including the annex. The box is correct, the whole package weighs 102kg. But I probably removed 20-40lbs of packaging. Sorry, I didn't actually weigh it as I dont own a scale.

If I had to guess, I would say it weighs around 175lbs

Get the 4x8 model if you are worried about weight. The 6x8 is HUGE!

Eric S.

Adventurer
The aluminum extrusion that the cover/tent slides into were not deburred properly on my tent. Sliding the cover on was quite difficult the sharp corners kept catching. I though it was only a one time thing but found the ends of the fabric kept catching and If not careful they could have easily ripped and will definitely tear the fabric over time. I spent some time with the needle files to round the edges of the cut extrusion and the fabric slides much better now.

DSC_2467_zpsd365d59e.jpg

osidepunker

Adventurer
The aluminum extrusion that the cover/tent slides into were not deburred properly on my tent. Sliding the cover on was quite difficult the sharp corners kept catching. I though it was only a one time thing but found the ends of the fabric kept catching and If not careful they could have easily ripped and will definitely tear the fabric over time. I spent some time with the needle files to round the edges of the cut extrusion and the fabric slides much better now.

DSC_2467_zpsd365d59e.jpg

Yes, mine are the same. Gonna have to file them down

grogie

Like to Camp
^That's smart.

I have yet to actually remove the cover as being on my trailer it rolls up okay and sits over my trailer's tire. But thanks for the tip!

Eric S.

Adventurer
You might want to check yours for sharp edges and file the burrs off anyway grogie. When the tent opens/closes and cover slides around, the cords sometimes work their way past the ends of the extrusion...At least mine do.

Last edited:

stingray1300

Explorer
Hey, thanks for the tip!

I also glued a couple of pieces of 4x6x1/16" ABS plastic to the tent bottom where the ladder's rubber snubbers make contact with the tent bottom when everything is folded up. I can imagine the ladder might wiggle a tiny bit while rolling down the road for many miles, and may eventually wear a spot on the tent bottom. Maybe unnecessary, but now I guess I'll never know...:D

Tigglebitties

Adventurer
Just ordered my kekunam ruggedized orange :D
Should be here any day now

The goal here is to build your rig stronger than you are stupid.

Tigglebitties

Adventurer
Also, I told them this thread sent me here & asked if they offered any discounts to the forum people & they gave me 5% off. Not too bad I say. Almost covered shipping

The goal here is to build your rig stronger than you are stupid.

Box Rocket

FWIW, the plastic tabs holding the AC mat on the Tepui tents can be (and I believe) should be removed. I think they are only there to keep the mat in place during shipment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94