Average life of a Tacoma V6

Pointdexter

wow thanks for all the feedback guys its much appreciated ... now i Just hope my R sells soon

Yeah, I only ever heard one one 05+ tacoma being a lemon but the dealership took it back and gave the guy a new one at no cost (warranty)

I've got an 08 v6 and it has been by far the best purchase I have made.

3.4 reliability

My engine had the oil pump go out at 63,000 miles which ruined the bottom end of the motor. The dealership replaced the engine with a new one for only a $100 deductible (extended warranty). The truck now has 160,000 miles on it and I hope to have many trouble free years out of it.

Kevin

Explorer
My engine had the oil pump go out at 63,000 miles which ruined the bottom end of the motor. The dealership replaced the engine with a new one for only a $100 deductible (extended warranty). The truck now has 160,000 miles on it and I hope to have many trouble free years out of it.

Kevin

Did the oil light come on?

robert

Expedition Leader
I had over 180,000 on my 95 Tacoma with the 3.4L. In that time I had an idler pulley bearing go bad (I think that's what it was) and replaced the water pump. Oh and I had to replace a metal AC line after the firewall grommet came loose and allowed the line to rub on the metal firewall. I was planning another month long cross country trip in it when it was totaled- I trusted it (but I carried tools, a repair manual and some spares just in case). Proper PM is the key.

Did the oil light come on?
The gauge quit working and the previous owner drove it to the dealership to have it (the gauge) fixed. The dealership then informed the previous owner that it was an oil pump issue and they had ruined the engine by driving to the dealership. The extended warranty covered it regardless, to the tune of nearly $7000.

Kevin

laxtoy

Adventurer
i often tell people of the reason i bought my tacoma is my little sister has had her 97 3.4 4wd since it had about 40,000 miles on it and now has around 300,000. she is someone i would call poor with maintenance. she commutes very short distances for work, so the truck rarely has a chance to warm up, yet it just goes and goes. she has replaced the starter a couple of times, the clutch, the o2 sensors, has had the rear end go out, and had to replace some freeze plugs in the block, but i look at all of these as wear and tear or simply being neglectful of keeping it up. what amazes me, for an engine with that many miles, it is still very strong, and when it is tuned up (usually by me) it runs perfect. probably the perfect vehicle for her, considering it has been so well used and does everything it has been asked to do. mine has 180,000, and i haven't had a single serious issue with it.

KG6BWS

Explorer
Knock on wood, mine is still running strong with 230,000 on the clock. I do all the regular PM and try not to beat too hard on it but I use it like its intended.

Bought it in 05 with 28000.

t_tentech

I have seen a 2002 5VZ at 486K back in 2007 at Toyota of Dallas without a rebuild still running strong. He was a cross-country courier.

Hoosier 45

Adventurer
I have a '03 DC 4x4 with about 100K on it, only problem has been the front O2 sensor. My brother in law has the same truck in 2wd and threw a rod with only 70K, & it was at the dealership when it happened. It was in to have some exhaust/O2 sensor work done on it and the rod went on the test drive.
I think very odd.

slus

Adventurer
I have a 2000 V6 5 speed stick with 256,000 miles I have owned it since new. At every 100,000 I had the water pump and timing belt replaced, new plugs every 50,000 miles and still running the factory clutch. The truck has been well taken care of. I have changed some worn out front end parts but thats expected on a truck over 200,000 miles. If the price is below 9,000 I would say look it over well for abuse ever, have a dealer check it out and buy it!

sweet, looks like I might get another year or two out of my stock clutch. 191k on this one, although LA traffic might eat it up before I can escape.

Speaking of clutches, I changed the one on my 84 4runner just for good measure, there was still disk surface left, and unless it was changed in the first 3 years of it's life there was 308k on it:Wow1:

deadbeat son

Explorer
Hey guys I am currently trying to sell my 08 VW R32 so I can pick up a Tacoma of my own (2001-2004) I have always been one to try and get the most for my money so I was wondering on average or from your personal experiences how long do the V6 motors/transmissions in these trucks usually last?

Good luck with the sale and purchase! I have an 09 Tacoma and my wife drives an 08 R32 (#4885). Why are you wanting to get rid of the R? Obviously the Tacoma will have a lot more utility, but the R is a great little car. I imagine we'll have both of these vehicles until the wheels fall off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online