Baja Trip - Laguna Salada, San Felipe, Erendira

DjDrewDigital

Observer
brilliant trip report.....and great pics

You really push the limits my friend and set a killer example for others. I am impressed by your willingness to just go and make it happen.
Kudos to your dad for going on the adventure.

Please post more as you travel, I wish I could have gone with you and I hope we can make a schedule work sometime soon. I will be out at the San Diego Auto Show again and it would be cool to meet up again.

Thanks Lance! I wanted to do a trip before I go back to work. I got a job with Northrop Grumman and start in January. I'll try and stop by the auto show. Yeah we should plan a trip. I want to do the White Rim trail in Moab in April or May.

DjDrewDigital

Observer
Awesome looking trip! Thanks for posting the pictures!

Small world too! You and I met before Chris & Jessica's wedding this fall. Chris and I are cousins. The GF and I just got back from a Mexico trip recently as well... though we didn't travel by vehicle.... this time :)

Anyway, good to meet you at the wedding and great photos!

Hey Brett! Wow no kidding! It was great meeting you too! Where in Mexico did you go? If you're ever in So Cal for a run let me know.

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
Great pics, we were just in the area for the Baja 1000 and I saw a totally different perspective of the Baja!

-Alex

rustyjames

Observer
Cool trip report. With all the bad press Baja is getting it's good to see there are still plenty of safe places to visit down south. Looks like you guys had a great time. I grew up driving through Baja with my Grandpa and this brings back good memories. Thanks for sharing.

Roverholic

Observer
Stoked you guys had such a great time! The santo Tomas campground looks totally different than last time I was there. Thanks for posting the report, all the biz owners down there need more positive reports like this.
Cheers.:victory:

nat

Adventurer
Great trip! Nice pics too.

How did you set up your chair? I designed and built an offroad/beach chair for my buddy with MS.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Great report. Refreshing new perspective. Go get 'em spirit is just what we need around here.

Thanks for sharing.

XploreBaja

Observer
Drew,

Nice read and your photos are stunning. I love the shot of the van tires breaking fresh sand.

You rocked this trip, hit all the cool spots and sounds like it was a blast.

Next time you go, hit me up I'm down for a relaxing trip down the Cortez Coast. :victory:

theREDwonder

Observer
I asked the camp host about the road south through the lake bed and he said 4wd was need. I was in a 2wd van. The Salada is about 70 miles long and I wanted to drive all the way south. He said we might be able to make it if we followed the little green arrows.

It was a real treat driving on the lake bed. I just set the cruise control at 40 mph. But the mud was soft and there were a couple places were I would have gotten stuck if I stopped. It was a little nerve-wracking because we were 30 miles from the nearest road so it's pretty remote.

IMG_1137.jpg

We finally made it to Mex 5 highway on the south end of the Salada where we aired up and headed for a beachfront campsite in San Felipe.

Hey man, do you have a rough route for where you went across the dry lake? I've got a group planning to do the same route from Mexicali - Canyons de Guadalupe - across the dry lake south around new years. This is a super rough sketch I drew just randomly.
baja.jpg

Flyinbronco

Observer
Awesome trip report.

A word to the wise not to take the dry lake beds lightly down there. I've seen trucks venture off the well traveled sections and quickly sink up to the frame rails in caustic goo. The tow bills are insane not to mention the damage the salty, acidic mud does to the running gear. It may look solid but the crust is only a few inches thick in places. if there are no tracks on it its for a reason. Use caution. Glad you made it through Drew. Last time I was across it was at about 110 mph following the little green arrows that mark the race course.

bsnbsn9

Thank you friends
I get a lot of information in this group
keep good posting & excellent pict :) :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles