Fullsize Ford F250 Overlanding Camper project

Hey Everyone,

Another newbie here, I've been poking around for the past couple months and finally thought it was time to jump on board.

I have a 06 full size Ford but even though I've had the truck since late 05 I just recently started to built her for Overlanding and short to mid term camping. as for now not much has been done other then a couple external items but within the next couple months I plan to equip her with Air, Water, and Propane tanks including fittings, Camper shell roof rack as well as a second cab rack, lighting, carpet kit and basic shelving in the camper along with fridge and heater.

As can been seen the shell needs a new coat of paint which will be first on the agenda then its on to fabbing the racks then on the the interior. I'm also contemplating if I should OX the larger side windows on the shell and just keep the smaller side pop outs.

Last edited:

Ala5ka

VX'er
great looking FX4, kudos to the blue oval. I really like your plans, and I can't wait to see them come to fruition. I say keep the windows. maybe build some shades from curtain material and bungees.

blackmonte

Observer
Nice truck,
Hey can anyone explain why most Expedition trucks paint the wheels black?I did a search with no luck:beer:

jhdavis444

Nice truck by the way. We have similar ideas. I just wish my shell had the couple extra inches up top that yours does.

Thanks Everyone!

Ala5ka:
Yes I really like the color and have always been glad I went the Dark Blue route from the beginning as for the side windows I was thinking maybe blacking them out with Matt Black vinyl from the inside or like you mentioned putting together some kind of curtain system.

blackmonte:
Not sure why most Expedition trucks paint the wheels black... I actually Powder Coated my oem 17s Textured Black back in 05 just after I bought the truck.

jhdavis444:
Thanks and I'll update with the mods as they come along. As for the top, I found it on Ebay a couple weeks back and won it for 300.00, its a older ARE MX with the full one piece rear door.

Older photo from back in 2008 (w/ the Canback top)

trasko

Adventurer
I'll be watching as well. I love this gen. of Ford trucks. I like the sound of your plan.

edit: What was the verdict on the Canback? You prefer a standard shell over it's ability to fold out of the way? I've always been curious about those. Seem like a great idea that might not work so well in practice...

Humvette

Adventurer
Awesome
I just got a 2007 F350 FX4 for towing, but I cannot wait to see what you do with it!

Have you done any of the engine solution kits?

ExtremeAir Install

I have not done any of the engine solution kits, but did install a Banks Six Gun and Banks Exhaust years back. But as that the PDA finally went out on me I've been thinking of either picking up the Banks iQ to replace it or just XO the complete Banks unit and upgrade to something that actually helps with fuel economy.

The first project has started, Installing the ExtremeAir compressor and tank. System will consist of the ExtremeAir Magnum compressor, 4lb Air tank, 125lb pressure switch, two bulk head fittings and a in cab toggle for shut down when not in use. Also will include a 80amp Circuit breaker, 6 gauge main power line, 100amp relay and a 155lb safety pop off valve.

I will update with photos in the next couple days once the install has begun.

Humvette

Adventurer
I strongly recommend SCT tuners! MKM Customs hooked me up with custom tunes. The truck runs amazing! :Wow1:

Air System update.

Here's a couple photos I snapped this evening once I completed the mounting of all hardware and airlines.

Next on the agenda: mount breaker, toggle and run wiring.

Compressor mounted on Driver's side outside frame
5443984212_6822889b30.jpg

Tank mounted on Driver's side inside frame just behind transfer case
5443985564_03b2abcff2.jpg

Front air Coupling mounted on bumper, Driver's side just above "ARB" logo
5443982720_9eb863e105.jpg

5443383327_998e3a1908.jpg

Rear air Coupling mounted on bumper, Driver's side just left of license plate.
5444021580_38a4c1e042.jpg

5443988024_28d88eee3b.jpg

A Big Thanks to Mario at Adventure Trailers & Overland Equipment for the great deal on this system.

Last edited:

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
are you worried at all about excessive debris or water getting to your compressor? in the jeep world we always mounted the compressor under the hood. i know with the PSD your engine bay is pretty cramped - just thinking.

clean install though! looks great. ive been debating between the AT kit and ViAir

Yes I am worried about debris and excessive water causing problems for the compressor but there's absolutely no room in the engine bay to mount. I did though design a deflector/shield out of cardboard that I am going to copy in light sheet steel or aluminum this week that will mount off the lower two compressor mounting bolts. Hopefully that will take care of the debris problem but will still have to be careful not to submerge the truck to deep...Thnx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles