Which Garmin for Overland Use?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
OK, Mike is laughing now as he knows I really like my old Magellan Crossover due to it's easy interface... but I find the maps getting outdated and they no longer support it. That and the fact that the new Magellan's are using Tele Atlas vice NAVTEQ has me reevaluating my brand loyalty. Nothing wrong with Tele Atlas if you are in Europe (Tom Tom uses Tele Atlas and they are #1 in Europe), but for North America NAVTEQ has better map data from what I read on the net.

http://gpstracklog.com/2010/11/magellan-drops-navteq-maps-for-tele-atlas.html

So, out of the bazillion models Garmin has as of 14DEC2010 which one do you recommend for all around on road and overland use and why? Which model are you using? I use mine for vehicle only and not dismounted, and many new units seem to have MP3, Blue Tooth (already have these features in my stereo) and other features I could care less about paying for in a GPS.

This looks good: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=87150

Please educate me since they have so many models on their website that all appear pretty much seem similar!

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I'm happy with my 276c. It is a good size (screen) that works on the bike as well as the truck. The button layout is compatible with heavy winter riding gloves, and the buttons themselves are big enough that you can feel them through gloves.

The screen is bright (adjustable), color, and has a different color scheme for use at night (most GPSs probably do).

The downside is that it is Garmin. So, you are stuck with their proprietary memory cards (unless something has changed since I last looked).

alosix

Expedition Leader
My only issue so far with the Nuvis for overland use are

1.) Most (if not all) don't have removable batteries. Might not sound like a big deal if its always plugged into the truck, but I've had mine lockup on me while 5-10 miles off the beaten path. There's no hard reset on it and you can't pull the batteries. Needed to wait until it fully discharged them overnight before it would reboot.

2.) They don't seem to work as easy with tracks as some of the handheld GPSs like the GPSMap60..

I keep eyeing the Lawrence high end stuff the desert race guys use. Just need to find a way to justify the cost :)

orangeTJ

Explorer
I'm happy with my 276c. It is a good size (screen) that works on the bike as well as the truck. The button layout is compatible with heavy winter riding gloves, and the buttons themselves are big enough that you can feel them through gloves.

x2

I use mine in truck, car, jeep and on my DRZ400S. works well in all uses, but it's been discontinued.

I was going to say the 478, but it's been discontinued too.

You want something that you can use the Garmin Mapsource software with - to load more details maps in to the GPS, as well as waypoints, tracks, routes, etc.

With the Mapsource software you can build routes on your computer, then upload them in to the GPS. You can also download tracks, waypoints,m etc out of the GPS in to your computer.

Last edited:

Marcie's Disco

Adventurer
Maybe Bajataco will chime in. I'd have to say Chris can really speak with authority on GPS solutions and has tried many flavors for suitability. His opinions are known to be without bias.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Yeah, but it looks like the 276C is discontinued...

Huh. I did not know that.

I guess that's what I get for opening my mouth after not paying attention to the current models. Of course, it just goes to show that I'm so happy with it I'm not even paying attention to the new models that are coming out. :sombrero:

orangeTJ

Explorer
...it just goes to show that I'm so happy with it I'm not even paying attention to the new models that are coming out. :sombrero:

Me too.... I love my 276c. There's about 5 people in my circle of riding buddies that use it as well, one of whom uses it in his Jeep as well.

Explorer
I use the NUVI550, its waterproof and also works great for hiking. Some of the other Nuvi have some neat apps that run off the OBDII, but I really needed a waterproof unit, and didn't want to spend too much on other brands

I'll wait for technology to plane out and get a dedicated rig GPS someday when prices come down.

Last edited:

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
I just went through this same debate within and went with the Garmin 478 although it is discontinued. It seems to be one of the best (276c, 376c plus a few others) GPS that Garmin ever made. I'm also adopting the iPad, but it's still not all the way there from what I'm hearing. For on the road and in cell coverage the iPad is almost unbeatable, but for all other the 478 does a great job and is pretty good for on road stuff too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz