Which Garmin for Overland Use?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I have a Lowrance GlobalMap 3000 and a Garmin GPS V, both have long been out of production. I'd buy the V again in a heart beat. Excellent display for it's size, surprisingly so. When the V fades I'll be looking at the 276's successors.

I will not ever buy another Lowrance product.

chet

island Explorer
why would they allow saved tracks in marine and not in auto mode? that seems wierd. Nice unit other wise!

alosix

Expedition Leader
According to the specs on Garmins web page the GPSMAP 640 does not save tracks, I would think that most of us Expo types would want a gps that DOES save tracks to review later.

No smash head against wall smiley?

I do miss my GPS V.

geo.greg

Observer
My only issue so far with the Nuvis for overland use are

1.) Most (if not all) don't have removable batteries. Might not sound like a big deal if its always plugged into the truck, but I've had mine lockup on me while 5-10 miles off the beaten path. There's no hard reset on it and you can't pull the batteries. Needed to wait until it fully discharged them overnight before it would reboot.

QUOTE]

Havent had to reboot my Nuvi before, but your correct on my 60csx and Oregon 550. Depending on where it is frozen, you can reboot most NUVI by plugging it into a non garmin USB charger. It will assume it has gone into computer mode, shut down the GPS and once unplugged it will recover. OR NOT.

geo.greg

Observer
I have a ram nuvi 1790 on a ram mount using a ball mount hard fastend to the A pillar. I like the XX90 series as it has a bluetooth screen/speakerphone for my cell. not the best speaker/mic, but when my phone rings, i dont need to look around for it being by the window, i can just walk up to the open window and press one button to answer. Also I carry a oregon 550 handheld, that is much harder to see, makes a terible driving gps, but has a point and shoot camera (that geotags) loaded with birdseye satilite images and topo maps and the basic maps. Between the two it seems to cover my needs and each somewhat back up each other.

alosix

Expedition Leader
My only issue so far with the Nuvis for overland use are

1.) Most (if not all) don't have removable batteries. Might not sound like a big deal if its always plugged into the truck, but I've had mine lockup on me while 5-10 miles off the beaten path. There's no hard reset on it and you can't pull the batteries. Needed to wait until it fully discharged them overnight before it would reboot.

QUOTE]

Havent had to reboot my Nuvi before, but your correct on my 60csx and Oregon 550. Depending on where it is frozen, you can reboot most NUVI by plugging it into a non garmin USB charger. It will assume it has gone into computer mode, shut down the GPS and once unplugged it will recover. OR NOT.

Good to know.. I'll try that trick next time as I normally have some other stuff, including a computer, with me on most trips..

I've only had mine lock up once, seemed to be caused when pulling it in and out of its cradle. the main issue was it couldn't have been at a worse time. On a longer trail I'd never been on, just glad the compass and topo map still worked :)

skzahidul007

You can use Garmin nuvi 52lm

I'm pleased with my Garmin nuvi 52lm. It is a great size (screen) which works about the bike along with the truck. The switch layout works with large winter using gloves, and the actual buttons on their own are large enough that you could feel all of them through mitts. Here is a compleate review: garminnuvi52lm.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94