New here

blackmonte

Observer
I am new here, Love the geat outdoors ,camping ,fishing and off roading building all kinds of vehicles.I am a Pipefitter by trade,& live in Plainfield IL, Anyway I was not sure where to post this but why do most Expedition trucks have black wheels?Other than looking cool is there some reason?I have had several 4x4 trucks, jeeps and did the black wheels , but I figured there might some reason .Thanks and keep up the good work great web forum!

poriggity

Explorer
I had a jeep with the black steels on it.. I did it because they are cheap, and therefore, a lot less painless when you beat them on rocks/dirt...
Scott

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
No polishing, no brake dust stains. And, yes, cheaper and thus less 'painFUL' when you scrape 'em. Touch ups are only a can of rustoleum away...

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Black wheels were always steel until fairly recently. Steel rims tend to bend instead of crack when you do something stupid and if you have a big hammer and some air for the tire you can usually pound them back into a shape where they will get you home.

blackmonte

Observer
Ok yeah that makes sense, So I guess the painted black aluminum wheels are for ease of clean up and for the look then?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles