camper shell curtain mod?

ywen

Explorer
Anyone modded their camper shell to have curtains on the sides and rear window?

my shell has a fiberglass interior so can't Velcro something onto the interior surface.

preferably the side curtains will be sliders..

Ala5ka

VX'er
I have the same problem and what I was thinking was to JB weld some little ferrous metal circles to each corner of the window and add a magnet to each end of a bungee with a curtain strung across it. When you want curtains just put your little magnet curtain up.

paulj

Expedition Leader
I've used reflective bubble pack to provide privacy, and add some insulation. This is sold in hardware stores for insulating water heaters and walls. I cut the pieces a bit larger than the window opening, and then just press them in place. A panel like this can be left in place permanently on the left side, where it does not interfere with the review view.

I've also used this material as a windshield sun shade.

corax

Explorer
my shell has a fiberglass interior so can't Velcro something onto the interior surface.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to use velcro, unless it's for aesthetic reasons - when I bought my 4runner, it had velcro curtains on the fiberglass cap in the back

Terrainist

Explorer
I had a brainstorm and came up with shutters after contemplating every curtain configuration I could come up with, run across, etc. Shutters... block out all the light for sleeping, more secure, better interior window protection, ease of use, very functional, durable, and they are going to look great.

Consider a shutter configuration.

geo.greg

Observer
not sure why you cant velcro to the shell because it's fiberglass. cuz that was my first answer and have done with with a boat. put a entire strip along the top and sides of window so it fastens on three sides. OR for a very temp solution consider what they do for tents and christmas decorations on glass, (will require two people to set up) put a large magnet on one side and a metal washer/hook on the other. just make sure you have some sort of thin material on the outside to keep from scratching paint/gel (if you care). last idea is kinda goofy is suction cup hooks seen this idea for cars that use a netting material to make a sun screen for baby in back seat, except for it's a ring/material with the suction cup in the middle.

bucketosudz

Explorer
I had an older Glasstite on my truck and one of the solutions I used was to add the male portion of metal snaps where the screws holding the frame of the windows on were. Then measure and mark on choice of materials for curtains with placement for the female half of the snaps. This allows the opportunity to snap curtains on, off or just a section rolled back and tied.

Terrainist

Explorer
That's a good idea. Any idea on where to get the snaps? I haven't seen any around in awhile, they used to be a common fastener.

robert

Expedition Leader
You can still get snaps at Northern Tool, most fabric shops, Tandy Leather, etc.

On my old shell I pulled the corner screws out of my windows and then reinstalled them with some of those small picture hangers under the them (like these:http://www.lowes.com/pd_264577-37672-122317_0__?productId=3029191&Ntt=picture+hangers&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dpicture%2Bhangers%26page%3D2). I made some simple two piece curtains to fit; I flapped the top and bottoms over a piece of paracord that I then tied to the picture hangers.

I thought about using that adhesive backed Velcro, but I wanted to be able to slide the curtains and they stayed neater looking that way. I did use the adhesive backed Velcro for the rear window frame as I wanted to be able to remove the entire thing for driving. I used sew on type Velcro for the rear curtain so I could wash it- they get dirty pretty quickly. The industrial strength Velcro beats the cheap stuff hands down.

I had thought about fiberglassing a base of some sort to the shell and then making a removable rod, but I'm lazy and just went with the above. I haven't gotten around to putting curtains in the current truck but it's on my list. One thing you may want to look into is blackout curtains- they allow you to use a light inside without folks knowing you're in there if you're quiet as well as allow for late sleeping.

Westfalia used a coil spring to hold the curtains in VW campers and I've seen people use elastic cord (bungie cord) also (you can buy it bulk at a lot of outdoor places, especially kayak/canoes stores).

Terrainist

Explorer
Thanks for the info on the snaps. I had been looking for some and thought I saw some at Harbor Freight, but they said no. I'll keep looking.

Bogo

Adventurer
Short pieces of aluminum t bar stock. Glue the top of the T near the corner of the window with the base leg portion orientated horizontal. Shape the base leg to round the corners and drill a hole in it for the bungee cord hook.

fifthcircle

Adventurer
So, I was just thinking about this, and what about a very short self tapping screw to hold the base of a metal snap to the topper. Then fabric to cover the window with the other side (button?) of the snap on the corners. You could add more snap bases to other places to allow more configurations...such as a second set just outside the top set so you could roll up the curtain and snap it in place "stowed" and open.

ywen

Explorer
so the soln I ended up using was 3M adhesive hooks.. 3 on each side for my side windows that are 5 ft in length..

Then wrapped fabric around a skinny (but stiff) PVC pipe. Then just rested the pvc into the hooks. Then I used zip ties to make sure the the pipe doesn't fall out.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
so the soln I ended up using was 3M adhesive hooks.. 3 on each side for my side windows that are 5 ft in length..

Then wrapped fabric around a skinny (but stiff) PVC pipe. Then just rested the pvc into the hooks. Then I used zip ties to make sure the the pipe doesn't fall out.

do you happen to have a picture? I am curious as to the setup on this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online