How to Jailbreak iPad running 4.2.1?

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
I have a new bluetooth GPS receiver coming in today and need to jailbreak my wifi iPad. Has anybody done this yet?

Errant

Explorer
Which receiver did you buy, Ben? I picked up a USGlobalSat BT-359 and was considering doing the same, but I have yet to get the thing to even work with my Mac. It pairs, but the data can't be read with any of the recommended programs.

I'll check it out with my PC soon so that I can decide whether or not the until is faultly or what. I'd rather know if the thing works before I attempt to figure it out on the iPad :eek:

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
So here is the dealio! I sent back the GPS Bluetooth Puck after deciding that jail breaking an ipad with 4.2 seemed too involved for me! I'm headed to Baja until mid-Feb and will reavaluate the iPad- GPS market then.
On another note I bought a like new Garmin 478 GPS and updated the map for free to the 2011 NT America. I put it on a ram windshield mount and am in GPS heaven!!! I also mounted Baja Navigator on it and am laying out my route now. This unit is so easy to operate.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Hey Ben what was the cost of the Garmin?
It would be great to see a review when you get back, especially regarding baja mapping as that is always a need.
Looking forward to solid solutions.

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Lance,
As far as the cost for the Garmin 478 goes it is whatever the market will bear. Since they haven't been in production for a while combined with the insane cult like following the price is going up on sites like ebay. Loyal followers on sites like www.advrider.com are buying a backup for when theirs eventually die. I was introduced to the Garmin 276c by Graham on our Central America trip. I really liked the you could customize screens on the fly, screen size and the interface. After getting back and learning that virtually any map you ever wanted is available for the Garmins that use the mapsource software I was sold. What really closed the deal for me was the "Baja Navigator" map being available for download on the Garmins. After downloading the Baja Navigator map I'm blown away at the level of detail. For instance when I leave the hot springs at Canyon de Guadeloupe which is in the middle of a huge dry lake bed/desert all of the dirt track and Baja 1000 routes are on the map for me to choose from as I'm continuing south.
While in AR this week with the family my son and I have started geocaching with the Garmin 478 since it has a 10+ hour battery in it, very versatile. The Garmin 478 can go from your auto to boat to motorcycle and never blink an eye.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94