Living for 6 months in the trailer?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I may have the chance to relocate and one of the choices to living without my family for 6 months is to live in my RTT and trailer. This saves me over $300 a month in 2nd household costs.

This would include some cold (~20 f) nights but I would have 110 electric, so I could bring the mattress heating pad and an electric dish heater (turned off at night, but should not have the condensation issues of propane heat).

I was thinking buying a cheap used dorm fridge for food and the CG has a bath house open for showers, but my concerns:

1. wear and tear on tent and trailer (UV damage too)
2. I would have to go to work everyday, so will showering in a bath house get old?
3. Cooking and cleaning every night in camp? Heating water on a Coleman stove to wash dishes. I do not plan to have campfires....

Jis4Jeep

Observer
I lived in my 37 foot double slide out 5th wheel in Reno during the winter months a few years back...... It absolutely sucked! I wish you the best of luck! :Wow1:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I lived out of our pop-up for 6 weeks while working on that job in southern Ohio last year. That was in late July and through out August and it was darn hot. I think we've talked about that before, but thought I'd reiterate my experiences for you. Other than missing the family horribly, it wasn't to bad. Of course I could eat, cook, and lounge around eaiser in the EV-1 than you probably can in and around the Conquer. The worst was using the home owner's bathroom and shower. You'll really miss having your own shower. I Think you'll be fine otherwise and with a small propane heater in the enclosure you'll be able to relax and take the chill off a little before crashing for the night in the RTT. The main thing is to find something to keep you occupied when your not working.

Where are you headed? Will you be able to visit home on the weekends? If I hadn't been able to get back on the weekends to see the wife and kids I probably would have started tearing up the locals.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
If it happens...

The move will be to central NC

I will not be able to get home except a couple of times in those 6 months, and they will come down once or twice. We did this 10 years ago when I moved north.

Thanks Mark...Lots of decisions in the air right now.....

ddog45

Adventurer
I think the money you will spend trying to keep yourself happy, ie entertainment eating out, beer, toys, and other things you may enjoy that it would be cheaper to just rent a dive apartment. I say this because it happens to me. I lived in a tent while working summers for the forest service, I bought a ton of gear as little pick me ups and in the end spent all my earnings. Now I work nights at a hospital and their is a great night differential, well once again all that money gets spent up making up for lost time with my wife and kids. Hopefully this makes sence.
If you just had to live in a tent durring the week while working long hours and then could stay somewhere else on the weekends I would say go for it. You can always try it and then if things go bad come up with another plan.

Honu

lost on the mainland
if you do it ditto the tarp :)

I spent 6 months living out of a two man tent before ;)
but was warmer where I was but god old but was fun

southpier

Expedition Leader
man .... you must really frackin' need the 10$ a day to consider this. really. get a room somewhere if you have to, but dood - ******, over?

highlandercj-7

Explorer
When I got out of AD miliary I stayed in a 23' motorhome for 6 mths while I finished school. It wasn't bad. You can probally pick a fully self contained trailer to stay in then unload it when your done and not loose any $$.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
That is the plan.

I think I will be trying it if I relocate. And as suggested, if it sucks, I will rent an apartment.

To answer the $10 a day question. Yes, at the end of 6 months, $1800 is worth it.

I had thought of buying a small self contained unit and re-selling, but the opportunity I am chasing is a decent size pay cut, (but hopefully far more stable) that added to paying for two home fronts for 6 months, leaves very little cash for a purchase. Plus, this could all go down in 3 weeks.

Again, any other tips for surviving in a RTT and camp cooking / cleaning is welcomed.

java

Expedition Leader
i lived in a 14' trailer for 6 months, was ok, but i had a sink inside which was nice. a heater for the tent will make a huge difference. having a spot where you would be able to leave camp set up a bit would make it nicer also.

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
I have done extended periods in tents,

The worst thing is not being able to stand-up (RTT). If the wx is bad you might find yourself confined to the tent for hours on end and will want to stand up. It can get HOT and it can get COLD in a tent, no matter how good a tent.

I recommend you rent a room from someone, it can be cheap! A spare Granny Flat or basement room?

The idea of 6 months in a tent doesn't seem too glamorous! Even around the world-travelers get a hotel every once in a while!

MuleShoer

Adventurer
I have done this 3 times for a total of 6+ years while I was working. 2 times living on a sailboat and once in a small trailer. I won't count the month I spent living in a tent in the evergaldes during the month of July.ugh. Anyway while living on my sailboats I did not have hotwater or a bathroom. I used the shore facilities for showers and "other". Doing dishes was not a problem just boil water. Refrigeration was a cheap 110 box and then a norcold unit. I think what is important is two things, first try and setup camp as a base camp and leave it setup if possible, second is to establish an evening routine, ie cook, eat, dishes clean up shower then done, you will find your evenings will flyby, weekends will be tough without you family,
One of the post noted you have a conqueror trailer, I also have a conqueror compact, I suggests you set up the base camp tent / cover, this will protect your trailer and equipment and give you that my space feeling. The conqueror tent is very heavy material so I would think it will retain heat well, suggest you place a space blanket under the mattres to keep your body heat from being sucked out down through the top of the trailer...good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94