Fox Wing Awning????

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Anyone actually have one. I'm liking the idea but want to hear first hand if its worth it.

Thanks
We've had some threads on the topic over the past year, which will show up wth "Foxwing" in the search box. I believe the general consensus is that it's megacool but it's not going to mount up right to everything and there's no way for one person to deploy it in the wind.

ERJK10.jpg
Photo (c) James Lombardo

CruiserArtist

Observer
foxwing

Well....it seems to mount up good to that rig pictured above. If you go to the website ( www.rhinorack.com ) it shows it mounted on yet another rig and there's a video of how they deploy it and put it away in windy conditions...with two people, but that does not mean you can't do it with one, just gotta be organized and quick. And no I don't have one.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Well, it shows it mounted on yet another rig and there's a video of how they deploy it and put it away in windy conditions...with two people, but that does not mean you can't do it with one, just gotta be organized and quick. And no I don't have one.
Apparently, you're not organized and/or quick, JL. :sombrero:

Seriously, the picture is of the ER's second Foxwing. The first one was indeed moderately damaged in a one-person-in-a-not-that-huge-wind deployment. The awning needed repaired and James Lombardo and I consider ourselves lucky that the awning didn't damage the truck when it broke loose.

trleix77

Rhinorack expects all users to use common sense when using the Foxwing in windy conditions as it can act as a sail. Looks like your bag has faded, contact Rhino-Rack and they will give you a new bag that is at no charge to you. Have fun out there!:smiley_drive:

Apparently, you're not organized and/or quick, JL. :sombrero:

Seriously, the picture is of the ER's second Foxwing. The first one was indeed moderately damaged in a one-person-in-a-not-that-huge-wind deployment. The awning needed repaired and James Lombardo and I consider ourselves lucky that the awning didn't damage the truck when it broke loose.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Anyone actually have one. I'm liking the idea but want to hear first hand if its worth it.

Thanks

Having owned a camping lab and dealt with fernando first hand...I would say just get a 70 or 79 in side awning, and then add a the short (48" I think) awning for the back.

Very easy one-person setup, stout-but-light construction, and included guylines, cover, etc all make it a no-brainer for me.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Rhinorack expects all users to use common sense when using the Foxwing in windy conditions as it can act as a sail. Looks like your bag has faded, contact Rhino-Rack and they will give you a new bag that is at no charge to you. Have fun out there!:smiley_drive:
Actually, Rhino-Rack came through for me several months ago with a new cover as soon as I made a brief mention of the fading problem. This picture predates arrival of the replacement. FWIW, my experience working with Rhino-Rack re: the Foxwing has been good in all aspects.

BigDaddy said:
Having owned a camping lab and dealt with fernando first hand...I would say just get a 70 or 79 in side awning, and then add a the short (48" I think) awning for the back. Very easy one-person setup, stout-but-light construction, and included guylines, cover, etc all make it a no-brainer for me.
I'm obviously biased, and a couple of smaller awnings is a good alternative, but if the Foxwing fits the configuration of your rig, it might be worth considering. The ratio of coverage-you-get vs. time-to-deploy is tough to beat, and the cost per square foot of coverage is about as low as it gets. I've worked with several normal awnings and found them fine, but nothing will get you shelter as quick as the Foxwing.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Having owned a camping lab and dealt with fernando first hand...I would say just get a 70 or 79 in side awning, and then add a the short (48" I think) awning for the back.

Very easy one-person setup, stout-but-light construction, and included guylines, cover, etc all make it a no-brainer for me.

Looking at the Foxwing picture I think that two seperate roll out awnings might give more shade area. Some actual measurements would prove or disprove the idea.

jjstahl3

Explorer
i have a question

I found a foxwing used but its for the right side mount but can I reverse it and mount it as a left side mount? or are they definitely non reversible?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I found a foxwing used but its for the right side mount but can I reverse it and mount it as a left side mount? or are they definitely non reversible?
I'm going to say it's pretty much non-reversible. A right hand mount awning, if put onto the left side, will have awning's pivot point at the front and when you deploy it, it'll cover the front of your truck.

I said "pretty much", instead of definitely, because I suppose that you could figure out how to mount the Foxwing on streetside upside-down, keeping the pivot at the rear. Now this would look goofy (like the radial poles would be on top of the fabric instead of underneath) and maybe have some loss of structural integrity, and you'd be on your own for a mount, but it would, at least theoretically, give you an awning that would wrap around the back and get fastened on the passengers side, just like the correct unit.

The problem is that you and everyone else will know that "it ain't right." If it's a gift, or nearly so, you might want to put up with it. But if it's just a couple hundred cheaper than the left side unit, I believe I'd save up the extra to have the correct one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz