Deka Batteries?

mires

Adventurer
I stopped by my local Orscheln's (Farm & Home store) after work this afternoon and saw a battery labeled " Magna power" and said AGM technology on it. My interest was piqued so I took a closer look and saw that it was manufactured by East Penn Manufacturing (Deka). I came home and did a little research and sure enough it is listed on Deka's website as the 9A78DT. It is rated at 785 CCA and 120 reserve capacity. It also has an 85 month warranty. In short, does anybody think this battery would be worth trying out for about $120? Anyone have any experience with Deka batteries?

Here are the links to the battery at Orscheln's and also on Deka's website.

http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/Tires-and-Batteries/Batteries-and-
Accessories/Batteries/AGM-Automotive-84-Month-Battery-101260162

http://www.dekacatalog.com/#
It's the 9A78DT at the bottom of the page.

blvdking

Observer
I have used Deka group 31 batteries for years and have been very impressed with them. My opinion is Odyssey is the best "extreme" battery with Deka being the best "regular" battery.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Deka has been pretty good. Their price is attractive for sure. They keep their costs down by using large amounts of recycled materials and own their own recycling plants.
The problem with recycled lead is that it is just never as good as virgin. I don't know the details on why , but that has held true in my experience too. They just don't seem to hold a charge as long when compared to a Diehard. They do out preform the Optima yellowtop in my comparisons. The battery that I tested was the Deka Intimidator. The Optima is still not living up to their reputation , even the new stuff out of the Mexico plant. I think they have priced themselves out of the competition.

I do think Deka is a good value.

Right now IMO, the Sears Diehard Platinum is still the "best" battery available for the price, even though they have taken a price hike recently. The Platinum P-3 - Group Size 75/86DT is $229 delivered to my door. That is still $40 cheaper than Odyssey and with the best warranty in the business.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
We use the DEKA AGM batteries in our trailers and vehicle conversions. Good batteries, very reliable. Go for it.

mires

Adventurer
Right now IMO, the Sears Diehard Platinum is still the "best" battery available for the price, even though they have taken a price hike recently. The Platinum P-3 - Group Size 75/86DT is $229 delivered to my door. That is still $40 cheaper than Odyssey and with the best warranty in the business.

The Die Hard Patinum is the way that I was going to go but I honestly can't justify the price difference in MY case. If I had the extra money, you bet I'd go Die Hard. Thanks very much for your input.

mires

Adventurer
We use the DEKA AGM batteries in our trailers and vehicle conversions. Good batteries, very reliable. Go for it.

I was hoping you would chime in Martyn. Thanks a lot for the input and keep up the good work on those beautiful trailers.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I was hoping you would chime in Martyn. Thanks a lot for the input and keep up the good work on those beautiful trailers.

No problem.

You get what you get with DEKA day in, day out, a fine battery. The Sears Diehard right now is also a good battery, but it depends on who Sears has chosen as their supplier. Good today, who knows about tomorrow.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I have used many different brands of AGM batteries over the years, and my first choice now is the Deka. Mine happen to be the CarQuest house-branded versions, but it's the exact same thing. I've had nothing but good luck with them, which is a lot more than I can say for all the Optima and Exide spiral-cell AGM batteries I've killed prematurely over the years.

There's a real good thread on Pirate4x4 talking about various AGM batteries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles