Making a griddle. What material to use?

450.jpg

I could cut the handles off, weld some 'feet' to the bottom that will clip into the KK's base. I'm liking this option if nothing more as a proof of concept before making my own. Its $20, cast iron and close to the right size. Edit: I'm wondering if the 9x20 is the actual cooking surface size. Add the grease trap and sides and it could be more like 11x21 which is just outside my bounds.

i cook for up to 20 people on the three burner versions of these, they are HEAVY, but distribute heat well.

cruisertoy

Explorer
Kurt,
We should talk. I'm getting ready to place an order just after the 1st or so for 8 griddle tops. They will be 1/4" thick steel tops measuring 19" x 28". Metalfab here in Salt Lake will lazer cut, bend the 3 sides up and bend the grease drop on the front just like your pictures. I think the ones in your pictures are 3/16" thick? I'm actually making the griddles with pipe burners and sides. I already own one and they are great for cooking for large groups. I'd actually like a second one and my scout troop wanted a couple. Metalfab might be able to make you a custom one attatched to my order. Either that or it's time to put a heavy bender in that new shop of yours.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Kurt,
We should talk. I'm getting ready to place an order just after the 1st or so for 8 griddle tops. They will be 1/4" thick steel tops measuring 19" x 28". Metalfab here in Salt Lake will lazer cut, bend the 3 sides up and bend the grease drop on the front just like your pictures. I think the ones in your pictures are 3/16" thick? I'm actually making the griddles with pipe burners and sides. I already own one and they are great for cooking for large groups. I'd actually like a second one and my scout troop wanted a couple. Metalfab might be able to make you a custom one attatched to my order. Either that or it's time to put a heavy bender in that new shop of yours.

Right on, lets chat. :cool:

Are you going to do any coating on them? If you think we could squeeze mine in and get a little better price I would be all for it. I'd actually prefer 3/16" as weight is a concern more so than heat retention for this project. I could get you exact measurements if we can make it work.

A bender/shear would be nice, but the shop is filling up too fast already :D

Plus we've got plenty of lazer cutters here in town. Mine could even be done on a plasma table, I could clean up the edges either before or after the bends.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Kurt,
Since what I built was not for off road camping....I just have one more comment. It seemed to me that 1/4" plate spread the heat more evenly and held it longer. I never checked to see what the weight difference is since I wasn't planning to transport mine around much.:coffee:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Kurt,
Post up some pictures, that sounds like something I'd like to own.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Right on, lets chat. :cool:

Are you going to do any coating on them? If you think we could squeeze mine in and get a little better price I would be all for it. I'd actually prefer 3/16" as weight is a concern more so than heat retention for this project. I could get you exact measurements if we can make it work.

A bender/shear would be nice, but the shop is filling up too fast already :D

Plus we've got plenty of lazer cutters here in town. Mine could even be done on a plasma table, I could clean up the edges either before or after the bends.
You could go with a heavier top and lighter sides and grease trap to cut weight. It would be great if the actual cooking surface could be cast iron, you just can't get the same carbon patina on steel. Four short burners aligned front to back would be better than burners aligned left to right, this would give the option of a "Hot" side for searing.

Not that I've given it any thought.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Soapstone makes a great griddle, better even than cast iron IMO.
They often come with a metal band around them, which would allow attaching a hinge.
image.php

Terrainist

Explorer
Hey Cruiser, thanks for posting those photos of the Stansport griddle and the heat distribution "plate". Those look kind of hokey, not what I was thinking at all.

cruiseroutfit

You could go with a heavier top and lighter sides and grease trap to cut weight. It would be great if the actual cooking surface could be cast iron, you just can't get the same carbon patina on steel. Four short burners aligned front to back would be better than burners aligned left to right, this would give the option of a "Hot" side for searing.

Not that I've given it any thought.

But it sounds like you have ;)

I'm stuck with the dimensions and two burners of my Kamp Kitchn here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=780277&postcount=7

On one hand I realize that I'm going to a lot of effort building a griddle to fit an antique camp stove but given the ultimate success I've had with my first KK I think it will be worth the effort so long as it works. The second KK should be here Monday.

Soapstone makes a great griddle, better even than cast iron IMO.
They often come with a metal band around them, which would allow attaching a hinge.

Very interesting, I have never heard of soapstone in that application. They do have one that might work size wise though the one I found is currently out of stock:

9"x17" - $100
1331soapstone.jpg

http://fantes.com/soapstone.html

Its 1" thick and 15lbs (versus ~11 for a 3/16" steel), I can't imagine I'll get the heat transfer I'll need through that with a small 2 burner camp stove? Wonder what cleaning is like?

Hey Cruiser, thanks for posting those photos of the Stansport griddle and the heat distribution "plate". Those look kind of hokey, not what I was thinking at all.

No problem

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Soapstone takes longer to heat, but retains it's heat longer (which is why it's so great for wood stoves) But now that I think about it that may be the opposite of what you want for camping. LOL
Cleaning is easy since nothing sticks once it's seasoned which is pretty easy to to do, easier than cast iron.

cruiseroutfit

Here's a GSI hard anodized aluminum griddle. Size is just under the dimensions you need. Says it's non-stick coated though, not sure if that's over the anodizing or they're referring to the anodizing as non-stick. if it matters...

I had spotted the GSI griddle but unfortunately its just out of my size range. After measuring my current KK I need 20" wide but only 8-9" deep. I've devised a way to get closer to 10" with the new KK but its still not going to give me enough room for a commercial option. Hoping to get a minute tomorrow to pull out the new one and take a closer look. It arrived earlier this week but its been a mad house around here.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Necro post but I’m in planning stages for a custom griddle for my Coleman 425!

Going with m6 aluminum and a buddies machine shop and expertise. Everything I’ve ever tried has ended up a disappointment. So we are going full retard.

I’ll post up the results!
bfc53301df0bf3ad9abc5849ad725785.jpg

dd27b42b0252377cd519574baaf33425.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles