New To Full Size Fun: Ford Expedition

TKSC01

Adventurer
Quick Question for the expedition guys

Hey yall...does anyone know if sas conversion kits are available for the expedition? Are they coil? Lift kits? etc. I have a Ford Bronco and the family is growing and I fear I am outgrowing it. Being a Ford guy I cant believe I didnt even consider and expedition as an overlander. Please help if you have any info thanks.

bmxdannyo

Adventurer
Hey yall...does anyone know if sas conversion kits are available for the expedition? Are they coil? Lift kits? etc. I have a Ford Bronco and the family is growing and I fear I am outgrowing it. Being a Ford guy I cant believe I didnt even consider and expedition as an overlander. Please help if you have any info thanks.

i have never seen or heard of any, doesn't mean a good fabricator couldn't do it though. They have the standard 4 and 6 inch lifts for them. My expy was not levled or lifted, i put 32's on it with out rubbing and i got over everything until i came to clearance issues. my recommendation is that if you dont lift it, put some sliders on the side, i seem to tip just enough on alot of obstacles to want them.

i just started a 97 expedition build hope to have it ready for summer travel.looking for tires at this time haven't found what i'm looking for yet it has 31's on it now thinking about 33 ????? who knows what i will end up with

i think 33's might rub a little though. I bought the good year authorities from walmart. they were brand new at the time, so i decided to give em a shot. I wound up selling the truck about 15k after getting them. I would not recommend them, although i never got stuck with them, and the tread hardly wore at all, by 15k, a couple tread lugs looked like they were going to rip off with the cracks that were forming. I would recommend them though if it is a purely off road truck and you not putting tons of miles on them. If you have the money, i love my bfg km2 mt's no problems and work flawlessly

TKSC01

Adventurer
Thanks Dannyo

Does anyone know if all expys are coil in all four corners, or are the older ones rear straight axle? THanks!

jackflash

Observer

There is a straight axle conversion. Go to www.broncograveyard.com. It is a four link set-up and is bolt on, I believe. Comes in a 4, 6 and 8 inch system, I believe.

TKSC01

Adventurer
I couldnt find it on broncograveyard I didnt even see their Bronco conversion kit anymore. Do they still offer it?

ccarm

Adventurer
Man...good looking Expedition so far. Can't wait to see how it progresses. I love these things, I learned to drive in one. Cheers.

JAFJO

I've been busy, too bad it's all been for other people.. Only thing I've been able to do is the air box conversion through the fender well. As far as HP or performance increases it's tough to tell with the ol butt-o-meter but it seems better. Low end response is great and about 3K on up it starts to pull pretty hard and even sounds like a V8 now. Not sure that sound equals HP but we'll see. I'm only about 50 miles into my first tank after the conversion and I'm looking forward to seeing what mpg's I net. Once it warms up around here I'll find more time to work on it, only way I go out there now is to get paid by someone needing work done.

hammerg26

SE Expedition Society
Thread resurrection...
I got a new to me 1999 EB a month or so ago and am still trying to do research on it...
picture.php

picture.php

Also have a "build" thread - more of a maintenance thread: http://www.expeditionforum.com/f42/1999-eddie-bauer-4x4-18650/

Hammer

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
here is the wifes '05 Expedition Eddie Bauer on 18" ATX Legion wheels and 285/65/18 BFG All Terrain K/O's, has a K&N intake and flowmaster 2 chamber muffler, and full stereo, otherwise stock. Thinking of getting rid of it after deployment is done.

photo5_zps81b83fe8.jpg

6559c0fa-6a9b-42d2-9758-71b549defb4b_zpsc8934da3.jpg

as a side note the 22's in the garage came off the expedition, and are for sale if anyone is interested... ;)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
This is an interesting thread. I often wondered why I didn't see more built up Expeditions as it seems to me they are an ideal vehicle for a lot of folks. Obviously the IRS ones are less suitable for any kind of modifications so that leaves it pretty much up to the early models. One thing I noticed on CL is that these things are stupid cheap. Like you can find a great condition Soccer Mom mobile with 150,000 miles on it for around $3-4k or in some cases even less.

Given that they use (AFAIK) running gear from the reliable F150, it seems to me it would be a great vehicle for a US/Canada based overland vehicle.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
because they get bought up by homies and destined for street use and 30" wheels, or young families that cant afford new, and they run them into the ground. just stating facts...

ours has just a hair over 104,000 miles on ours. the bluebook value on it is $6k. its a shame, our vehicle is essentially flawless. interior is perfect. 1 minor ding on the outside. beautiful paint. it is just really a gorgeous ride. this thing will make some young family a great vehicle.

the aftermarket for these things is very soft and aimed more towards street look than anything offroad.

hammerg26

SE Expedition Society
This is an interesting thread. I often wondered why I didn't see more built up Expeditions as it seems to me they are an ideal vehicle for a lot of folks. Obviously the IRS ones are less suitable for any kind of modifications so that leaves it pretty much up to the early models. One thing I noticed on CL is that these things are stupid cheap. Like you can find a great condition Soccer Mom mobile with 150,000 miles on it for around $3-4k or in some cases even less.

Given that they use (AFAIK) running gear from the reliable F150, it seems to me it would be a great vehicle for a US/Canada based overland vehicle.
That is my hope. I figure it is just as good as the Tahoes, etc. that I see doing this stuff. It is a heavy joker, no doubt, as well as a bit clumsy compared to my "old" JK, but it is extremely comfortable and roomy. With the back seats up, I can still put a futon mattress in the back and sleep...
My biggest concern is that it is 14 years old. It was babied - previous owner used it for long distance travel only...
We will see... just need to watch this thread, continue to look for ideas, and (oh yeah) - the $$$ to do stuff. :)

RoyJ

Adventurer
IMHO, the latest generation of body on frame SUVs from Ford is the most under-rated. SUVs, like dinosaurs, the best species evolved near the extinction...

I've got a baby Expy - an 06 Explorer. The frame is one of the toughest in its class - fully boxed, 55% stiffer than previous gen, and 444% (!!!) stiffer than the Ranger "Exploder" gen. After many miles on rough roads, not a single rattle to this day.

The larger, late gen Expedition is in the same boat. One hell of a chassis, solid engine, and heavy duty 6 speed transmission. Yeah, the IFS + IRS is no good for technical offroading, but for expedition overland travelling, over gravel and dirt roads, it's more than enough.

The beauty of IRS is massive interior space. If you're serious, gut the seats, and you'll be amazed how much larger an Expy is than a Tahoe. With no seats, my Explorer's load capacity would be 1600+ lbs, that's higher than a LOT of 1/2 ton pickups!.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
its true. unfortunately i have the 5.4 3valve motor which is absolute garbage. those motors have so many issues with cam phasers, spark plugs, coils, and wiring harnesses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne