SUV Tent

mixedgasdiver

So we're currently using the canopy on the back of my truck to sleep in. Yet with a new little one and another on the way we've run out of room. Were looking at a SUV tent, yet have never seen one in person and don't know anyone who has one. Any thoughts on these things?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/186-5675632-7088851?a=B0032ADXNG

We considered a roof top tent but my wife likes the idea of being able to get up easily and check on the kiddies. I'd like something a little more rugged and I'm unimpressed by the lack of rain fly.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Rob

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Accrete

Explorer
the link you shared is very similar to what we used out the back of our TACO for two seasons when we wanted to get further back in the woods than our trailer would allow. It was/is a nice setup and makes for a good camp at night also, with the ability to get out of the canopy and take a RR run, or mom and dad stay up and play some cards when the little ones are sleeping.

here are some shots of the Sportz tent on our TACO and a link to the unit we have ( Sportz 8300 tent ) It is a one room + screen room. We did have a few outings that had some rain come down and we kept comfotable with the rain fly over the main room and upper fly over the screen room.

TACOtent01.jpg

TACOtent04.jpg

have fun with the new setup...whichever you choose : )

mixedgasdiver

We actually looked at that brand online. Two questions:

How is it holding up? I like the idea if the heavier canvas ARB style tent. Then again this one is light weight and easily packs down.

Do you think it would still fit if your Yota was lifted a little? Im running a 4" lift with 33's on my Chevy and am not sure the connection tube from the tent to the truck will be long enough to reach the taller truck.

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Accrete

Explorer
We used the tent for 2 seasons and it still looks factory fresh. We purchased an off-road-capable trailer the beginning of the second and the tent sits in its bag upstairs with the truck bedz air mattress. (Our TACO was sold and we now have a van so i suppose the items might end up in a garage sale or craig's list?)

My wife, a hobbiest seamstress believed it to be of good quality build. The TACO had a mid-height ARB shell on it with a man door on the suv style hatch. There should be plenty of room for the tent if there is a lift in the rig. We were stock with the exception of 2" taller-than-stock tires + the TSB rear-leaf swap from the dealer that added an inch over stock leaf set.

Here is a pic through the man door prior to laying out the truck bedz air mattress.

TACOtent02.jpg

Cheers,
Thom

jeeper92

Adventurer
THinking

Im thinking of adding this to the back of my trailer. What are the dimensions on it? Id need it to cook in and as a room to hang out in and just sleep in out rtt

Accrete

Explorer
there is a vestibule from the back of the rig that expands to about 5 feet that goes directly into the 10' x 10' main room. The screen room is 10' x 7'. We've used it to cook and dine in, and also sitting out in the screen room.

austintaco

Explorer
We have the same tent, but without the additional screen room and have used it a few times without any issues. However, we have not been caught in a down pour though I did seam seal it before the last trip.

2009_1027BigBendRanch0339.jpg

My truck has about 3.5 inches of lift in the back and 2.5 up front with 255/85/16 tires and the tent fits without issue. We sleep in the truck bed and unload the gear around the corners of the tent. It makes for a great area to retire to after you put the fire out, if you want to stay up and play cards or have a cold or hot beverage. We used a heater buddy to warm the inside.

Here's my ugly mug modeling the doodie bags, but it gives you an idea of the amount of room in one.

2009_1027BigBendRanch0288.jpg

The only downside to these tents is that you have to have room to set it up, and it takes a few minutes more than a RTT. When we traveled from one spot to another, we would leave the tension cords in the tent, collapse the tent around the cords, and then just unravel the tent when we got to the next site. The main tent could be up in about 7 minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94