Mount it to roof?

• Yes

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 25 83.3%

• Total voters

mires

Adventurer
I voted no. Assuming you still have the shell, I'd say in the bed would be the best place for it.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
Clarify a little? Are you talking about bolting the mount directly to the roof?

Yes, directly to the roof of my camper shell. Probably on the passenger side.

I was looking at going the roof rack route but after doing some research I have found that my gas mileage will suffer more than I would like. I think that if I only put the hi-lift up there it shouldn't be too bad. At least not as bad as a fully loaded rack.

I voted no. Assuming you still have the shell, I'd say in the bed would be the best place for it.

I will be using the bed for sleeping and need to make the most of the room as I can. If nothing else, I will probably mount it under the bed rail.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
it'll be fine.

- find a sheet of stiff rubber and cut it out to fit the shape of the holders you'll be using. (I assume you'll use a set from 4wheelparts, etc with the welded on bolts w/wingnuts?)

-mark your holes, and drill through both the rubber gaskets and the roof.

-Use fender washers or better yet an oversized metal panel shaped to the inside of the hatch/roof to spread the load.

-Put some blue RTV on the threads of the bolts you'll be using, bolt on and enjoy. :)

Be prepared to pull of the mounts and bolts once a year to refinish them, as they will get sun damage and start to rust. (Even here in San Diego, racks only stay looking fresh for a year or so)

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
put it in the cab, behind/under the seat. surely you don't have/need the 60in hi-lift?

ROFL, I do. It was my Dad's 60" that he used in his F250. He recently installed a winch and I got the hi-lift for Xmas.

**My rifles are mounted on the roof in the extended cab. :sombrero:

Last edited:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Take it apart and keep the foot, lift mechanism and bar where ever you can find a spot for them. This also gives you the advantage of not having to hose the lift mechanism off with WD-40 before you can get it to work.

As an alternative fab some mounts to hold it inside the shell on the roof ( ceiling?).

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Take it apart and keep the foot, lift mechanism and bar where ever you can find a spot for them. This also gives you the advantage of not having to hose the lift mechanism off with WD-40 before you can get it to work.

As an alternative fab some mounts to hold it inside the shell on the roof ( ceiling?).

The alternative to this, is to lube up the mechanism and cover it with a neoprene boot from hi-lift to keep out the gunk.

Another option is to go to REI and buy a gaiter ("mountain harware" brand packages them separately so you don't have to replace a whole set if one gets ripped while hiking, etc...) that will fit over the mechanism. Gaiters are waterproof, tough and have cinch straps on each end which would effectively seal off the moving parts from the weather.

:)

-B

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Hi-Lift jack mounting

Anchor Shot, I have a 2009 Ranger 4x4 X-tra cab and Leer topper, I mounted my jack w/nuts bolts to the top of the right fender well inside the bed, I also have spent many nights next to it sleeping on some long over landing trips, narry a problem, it works out just fine and is not in the way of anything, safe, secure and out of the weather. Give it a test fit it, may work for you. stay safe, mjmcdowell

Code Monkey

Observer
No.

1) My philosophy is to keep weight low. Yeah, compared to the rest of any vehicle the jack isn't that much weight, but it all adds up. Also, more weight up high mounted on things (like a rack) tends to put weight and force on those parts that they don't need - maybe weren't made to deal with. Remember, when you are moving over rough terrain how much the top end of any vehicle moves about, side to side - when you add weight to motion you get force, and it can do bad things.

2) What if it falls off/breaks off/etc.? It is going to do more damage from high up than low down.

3) When you need it, do you need it up high like that? Or do you need it down low? I think 99.9% of the time you will need it below waist height. Why go to the extra work of lifting it up there and then taking it down when there are handier places to put it?

Personally, the only things I am going to put above or on the roof of any of my vehicles is going to be lights, maybe horns, solar panels and a few other lightweight things. Maybe an exo-cage will go over the roof. But only things that are lightweight and benefit from being up high. As it is my expo rig will already be high - I don't need to make it higher.

TeriAnn

Explorer
Do you have space to mount it vertically in the back one side of the end or the other? If you mount it outside you want to get the HiLift cover for it to protect it from the rain & dirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94