03 Explorer

pav56c

Ok, brand new here guys, creeped around a bit but first time posting.

I have an 03 Ford Explorer with the V8. Bought it about a year ago, and I love it its great. over 100K miles and hasnt given me a problem.

Ive made it hrough some heavy snow and a little bit of off roading in fields.

I really do want to go on an "expedition" but I dont know of any place near enough that I could afford going to for the weekend.

Also I need to improve its off road abilities. I CANNOT FIND ANY SORT OF LIFT.

Im only looking for a few inches, 2 or 3. Followed by some 31" tires. What can I do? There has got to be something out there.

Ive been wanting to do it since I got it but I just got some more motivation.

Im down in VA for the weekend and we got hit with snow, about a foot not a big deal for me, so we went out in my dads F150, ended up having road blockages from stranded cars, and there are irrigation ditches on the sides of roads, we ended having to double back and go through a snow filled field. We made it, dont know how, but I dont think my explorer would have, so I need to improve it.

So first off, how can I lift it? And second what else should I do to improve off road ability. Keep in mind it is still a daily driver so nothing crazy. I havent seen any 02+ Explorers on this site.

mires

Adventurer
I'd say before you decide to lift it, just get out there and see what it's capable of. Most people are quite surprised what a stock vehicle can do. Before you decide to "upgrade" things, you really need to know where it's weak points are. Also, I see you're in NJ. You may want to look around here and see what you can find as far as places to go exploring. I guarantee you there is more out there than you can imagine. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100

Happy Trails! :smiley_drive:

mires

Adventurer
Also for what it's worth, 265/75/16's (32's) will fit with no lift and no rubbing from what I have found. So if you planned to lift it just to be able to fit larger tires, it looks like it wouldn't be necessary.

pav56c

Thanks for both posts. I gave it a try today, and welp, its not snow worthy.

Got it stuck, made it pretty far, then we were done, snow drifts were a good foot plus deap in the roadways. I was forced to abandon the truck and hitch a ride back with a friend in an expedition. Almost had to stay in the truck over night, and who knows how long its gonna be there.

Now Im even thinking I may need to get something larger (although I cant afford it) like an F150 because the explorer did poorly. I did well given the circumstances, but Im very displeased.

Gerald S

I have a 96 Explorer that I use for overlanding and general 4-wheeling. I was able to put 31-10.50's on it without a lift. The tires are Cooper's and made a big difference in my ability to get offroad (and avoid getting stuck). I added a custom front bumper and Smittybuilt winch for less than a 700.00. Just a thought if money is tight. I have some pictures in my public photo album here on the site if you are interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz