My new-to-me 6.2L Disco

LtFuzz

Explorer
I Hate the 6.2L N/A diesel just a little more eh ;) used quite a few of them in work trucksa and frankly I've never felt a motor with less power that get's that bad of milage... and I drive a 22RE powered truck on 33's with 4.10 gears so...

Keep in mind there is a pretty significant difference between the civilian and military versions of this motor -- 143hp/247ftlb versus 165hp/330ftlb. I'm not trying to say it's not a giant, heavy NA diesel from the early 1980s, but I think if you drove it you would grudgingly admit that it works pretty well in a Rover.

Like I said, don't have MPG numbers yet -- but I have no reason to expect anything less than what it's rated for, i.e. high teens to low 20s, or roughly double what your average built D1 gets. Yeah, it's no Mercedes CRD or Td5, but my entry cost was also 6x less.

Also happy with rising gas prices... finally getting near diesel prices. I was pretty annoyed to pay $3.19/gal for #2 when premium gas was $2.79. I wasn't coming out very far ahead even in my 30mpg 240D.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Keep in mind there is a pretty significant difference between the civilian and military versions of this motor -- 143hp/247ftlb versus 165hp/330ftlb. I'm not trying to say it's not a giant, heavy NA diesel from the early 1980s, but I think if you drove it you would grudgingly admit that it works pretty well in a Rover.

Like I said, don't have MPG numbers yet -- but I have no reason to expect anything less than what it's rated for, i.e. high teens to low 20s, or roughly double what your average built D1 gets. Yeah, it's no Mercedes CRD or Td5, but my entry cost was also 6x less.

Also happy with rising gas prices... finally getting near diesel prices. I was pretty annoyed to pay $3.19/gal for #2 when premium gas was $2.79. I wasn't coming out very far ahead even in my 30mpg 240D.
Yeah I don't have NAY exp. with a Mill. Spec. version so that may be a big difference eh. DOn't even get me started on gas/diesel prices... Diesel is UNREFINED OIL...it's only expensive because they can goose money out of trucking companies etc... I'm a Diesel nut, and SOMEDAY I'll have my 1KZ-t in and my own Bio-haul making set-up.

Sure looks like the guys did a super clean job of the swap and likemI said I really like how it sits even with that big lump in the front.

Cheers

Dave

LtFuzz

Explorer
Is a snorkel something you really need? If so and you go the P/S route I can see using a flex pipe to fit between the washer and coolant and into the intake or maybe you could cut an access slot into the top of the hood and run the snorkel from the cowl.

Well, I feel like a snorkel is just one of these you-never-need-it-until-it's-too-late type of mods. It's relatively inexpensive and offers some peace of mind. I'd hate to be looking back on a situation where a $450 snorkel would've saved me from buying a new motor. :snorkel:

They look cool too, of course, and since this is a hobby for most of us that counts for something. I doubt many of us bought our Rovers thinking: "Well, I love how XJs look, but I really need the reliability and resale value of the Land Rover." :sombrero:

Wander

Expedition Leader
Maybe routing the snorkel under the hood via the back corner of the hood itself would work and would be easier than cutting the fender.

LtFuzz

Explorer
Maybe routing the snorkel under the hood via the back corner of the hood itself would work and would be easier than cutting the fender.

Hmm, possibly. Not sure if that solves my geometry problems, although I haven't really looked closely at it. IIRC when the conversion was first done a flex hose was routed to the OEM airbox, which was then taken out to make room for the 2nd battery.

A snorkel is pretty far down the list -- probably going to start with the axles and some underbody armor. The rear bumper is pretty crappy, but that's not even as essential to me right now as a roof-rack.

Wander

Expedition Leader
Look into diffs before axles, they are the weak point especially with that additional torque. Rovers North has an HD bumper. The core of the bumper is steel so just the corners are plastic.

bobtail4x4

Adventurer
I know a few locals this side of the pond with a chevy V8 in a range rover or a disco, they all have hot starting trouble, the starter motor seems to get too hot,

oh and they eat transmissions for fun.
given a choice I would go 200tdi
if you want 180bhp+ a TD5,is the way. I have both.

kjp1969

Explorer
[curmudgeon mode] Never in all my years did I think I'd see a diesel 6.2 willingly swapped into *anything*. Just shows my ignorance, I guess. Glad to hear about it!

Rhinob

Observer

It should be noted that the top of that intake manifold turns 180 degrees. 6 little bolts, flip it around. This might help with a snorkel install. FYI.

Viggen

Just here...
This is a great and well sorted truck. The power is much better than what a 200 or 300 can deliver without revving and boosting the piss out of it. This truck just wants to go. There's a clip on diesel tach that reads pump pulses and shows revs and hours (plus its cheap) that could take care of your tach woes. This is honestly one of the cleanest early D1s I have ever seen. You did good.

A snorkel would be cool but A/C would be my first mod. You'd spend the same amount in compressor, lines and fittings as you would on a plastic snorkel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior