My new-to-me 6.2L Disco

LtFuzz

Explorer
Howdy folks. I picked up my new 1995 DI yesterday and thought I would share with you all my impressions. I owned a 96 SE7 back in the early 2000s and wheeled it pretty extensively through Utah, CO and AZ (I was in college at CU-Boulder). The bug never left me and I've been wanting to buy one since. I recently returned from a 12-month deployment in Afghanistan and this was my present to myself.

First the basics --

'95 DI, 157xxx on body, 5-speed (R380), dual batteries, ARB/Warn xD, OME HD (766? How can you tell? I'm sitting just under 3" over stock), u-joint conversion, sunroofs (working), leather manual seats. Exterior is damn clean for a '95 and the interior is decent as well, just needs a little scrubbing. New headliner.

Oh, and this:

1139768229_oaNA2-XL.jpg

A milspec 6.2L Detroit V8 diesel built and installed by Mr. Burhans of Deutsch American in Maryland.

I was simultaneously intrigued and apprehensive about the 6.2. I love diesels (daily driver is an MB 240D) and nearly bought a 200tdi D110. But the cost was considerable and I was nervous about long-term upkeep on a motor whose OEM support is rapidly waning. Fell in love with the idea of a cheap American diesel motor.

The Chevy/GMC community seems pretty split on the 6.2 -- many like how durable the motor is, the good MPG return, and the infinite availability of cheap parts and crate motors. Others complain that it's a gutless gas-crisis motor (these are also the guys with chipped Duramax/Cummins sitting at 600 ft-lbs). The milspec 6.2s allegedly produce a bit more power but I'll wait until I can find a dyno to confirm/deny that.

I can't say enough good things about this setup. This motor is far more powerful than I was expecting, the gear ratios feel perfect and from 2nd into 3rd at full throttle (3" pipe from the header with a single mid-mounted muffler) is a grin-inducing experience. Around town it almost feels quick and the howl is just gorgeous (not redneck obnoxious at all.) It does chatter like a schoolbus at idle.

The gearbox is very mild-mannered, with a light and predictable clutch and effortless shifts. Enough torque that you can crawl (on flat ground) with the clutch out in 1st with just a touch of gas pedal here and there. It'll chirp the tires (all 4? can't tell :smiley_drive:) coming out of first if you stomp on it.

It sounds and pulls very much like the old '72 C20 454 pickup I had for a bit. It'll sit quietly at 65mph on the highway and that "feels" very fast -- an important distinction, I've realized, with slower vehicles lest you push them past their limits in an effort to feel like you're moving.

Haven't done any fuel economy numbers yet -- I've done nearly 200 miles on the last 1/3 of a tank, and I've been wringing the motor good. I was told 18-23mpg, although some other 6.2 Chevy guys are getting as high as 25mpg highway.

The 6.2 is a heavy boy, and I was concerned with how the suspension and brakes would respond. Fears are totally allayed. I can honestly say -- at least on the road -- I can't notice the weight of the motor. Truck is perfectly level and handles wonderfully at any speed. Someone mentioned throwing Will's D90 brake kit in, but for the present the stockers stop this truck very well. I'm curious to see if I'll notice the motor weight off-road. Surely a price must be paid somewhere...

I've only had about 300 miles total on this truck but so far I'm very excited. Apart from the noise (which I like -- I even crack the window to hear the exhaust :victory: ) this conversion is superb.

The only negatives are minor or expected things -- horn doesn't work (Air horn? :chef: ), cruise control doesn't work (is there a used Disco out there with a working CC?), tachometer doesn't work (easy gauge fix), and laborious cold-start -- but even my Benz's OM616 4-cylinder hates the cold, as do all diesel.

From what Dens told me, this was a pretty labor-intensive conversion, so I can only speak to the results when I say I would highly recommend this to anyone. The 6.2 may not be the pickup community's favorite motor but boy does it pull this Rover along nicely. :smiley_drive:

And pictures, of course:

1139767053_n8yUM-XL.jpg

1139824046_7gthz-XL.jpg

1139767374_6DUDn-XL.jpg

I'm moving out to SE Arizona pretty soon, so my first round of mods will be building it so that it can survive in mild rocks/border patrol roads. Diff covers, gas-tank skid (I busted my '96s gas tank open, so it does happen), rock sliders, and on-board air. I'm considering getting creative with the broken tach -- maybe wiring in a little scan gauge/tiny tac setup in its place. I'll need a roof rack at some point too, as I'm constantly packing up my entire life in my car and moving around for the Army...

Glad to be back in the Rover game. :smiley_drive:

Wander

Expedition Leader
Clean looking conversion, was there any mods made to the diffs and/or axles to handle the additional torque from the engine?

David Harris

Expedition Leader
The 6.2 is a heavy boy, and I was concerned with how the suspension and brakes would respond. Fears are totally allayed. I can honestly say -- at least on the road -- I can't notice the weight of the motor. Truck is perfectly level and handles wonderfully at any speed. Someone mentioned throwing Will's D90 brake kit in, but for the present the stockers stop this truck very well. I'm curious to see if I'll notice the motor weight off-road. Surely a price must be paid somewhere...

Awesome set up. It's nice to see another alternative diesel swap. The numbers are growing. Just saw someone post on their Mercedes Disco build. I am gathering the parts to put an Isuzu 4BD1T into my 95 Disco as I write this. I hope to start on it later this coming year. On the weight issue, interestingly, the heavier motor actually balances out a Disco, since with the light V8 in there, the vehicle is rear heavy with any kind of load on. A guy in Aussie who has put the Isuzu into his Disco weighed the truck and found almost a perfect 50/50 weight balance after swapping the 715 pound motor in. This is about the weight of the 6.2 as well. By comparison, a 300 Tdi weighs in at a little less than 500 lbs. The chassis and all is more than sturdy enough to handle the weight and power of the set up, in my opinion.

Cheers,

David

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Awesome set up. It's nice to see another alternative diesel swap. The numbers are growing. Just saw someone post on their Mercedes Disco build. I am gathering the parts to put an Isuzu 4BD1T into my 95 Disco as I write this. I hope to start on it later this coming year. On the weight issue, interestingly, the heavier motor actually balances out a Disco, since with the light V8 in there, the vehicle is rear heavy with any kind of load on. A guy in Aussie who has put the Isuzu into his Disco weighed the truck and found almost a perfect 50/50 weight balance after swapping the 715 pound motor in. This is about the weight of the 6.2 as well. By comparison, a 300 Tdi weighs in at a little less than 500 lbs. The chassis and all is more than sturdy enough to handle the weight and power of the set up, in my opinion.

Cheers,

David

that's pretty cool, David. thanks for posting that info. I might actually consider a Disco if it had a Chevy motor in it.

LtFuzz

Explorer
Clean looking conversion, was there any mods made to the diffs and/or axles to handle the additional torque from the engine?

I don't believe so. It's a good question and one I considered when I first thought about purchasing the vehicle.

The torque numbers for the Chevy 6.2 are pretty close to the 3.9 V8. The Chevy clocks in the neighborhood of 143hp/257ft lb at peak, while the milspec allegedly clocks in at 160hp/330ft lb at peak.

Definitely not an issue to swap in some better half-shafts or something.

LtFuzz

Explorer

Cheers,

David

Wow, that's great news -- and explains the excellent road manners.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I don't believe so. It's a good question and one I considered when I first thought about purchasing the vehicle.

The torque numbers for the Chevy 6.2 are pretty close to the 3.9 V8. The Chevy clocks in the neighborhood of 143hp/257ft lb at peak, while the milspec allegedly clocks in at 160hp/330ft lb at peak.

Definitely not an issue to swap in some better half-shafts or something.

I would be more concerned about the stock 2 pinion diffs than anything. They are marginal in stock trim, let alone with 300 ft lbs on tap. May as well just replace them with some nice aftermarket diffs like Detroit Locker for rear and TruTrac up front, or TruTracs on both ends. ARB's are an option too, and what I am going to use on my Disco build. The height and stance of your truck is ideal in my opinion, just how I hope mine will turn out . . .

LtFuzz

Explorer
I would be more concerned about the stock 2 pinion diffs than anything. They are marginal in stock trim, let alone with 300 ft lbs on tap. May as well just replace them with some nice aftermarket diffs like Detroit Locker for rear and TruTrac up front, or TruTracs on both ends. ARB's are an option too, and what I am going to use on my Disco build. The height and stance of your truck is ideal in my opinion, just how I hope mine will turn out . . .

Sound advice, I'll look into it.

Yeah, in pictures it looked a little tall -- I was thinking I'd take her down to 1.5-2" lift -- but when I saw it in person the stance was perfect and there is much less body-roll than I anticipated. I actually really love these springs -- I need to find out what exactly they are.

LtFuzz

Explorer
Thought I'd share another photo of the motor.

There is quite a bit of space under the hood... it's definitely not as stuffed in there as I was expecting. Any attempt at a snorkel might require some mild creativity though. Land Cruisers mount their snorkels on the passenger side, IIRC.

1139824417_xFv3J-XL.jpg

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Sound advice, I'll look into it.

Yeah, in pictures it looked a little tall -- I was thinking I'd take her down to 1.5-2" lift -- but when I saw it in person the stance was perfect and there is much less body-roll than I anticipated. I actually really love these springs -- I need to find out what exactly they are.

I think you may need the height to clear the motor, which may be taller than the Rover V8. Also, it may be difficult to find shorter springs with the same capacity as the 766's, which you need with the 6.2, winch, bumper, etc. up front. I like to keep my vehicles on the low side for stability too, but I don't think you look too tall as it stands.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Thought I'd share another photo of the motor.

There is quite a bit of space under the hood... it's definitely not as stuffed in there as I was expecting. Any attempt at a snorkel might require some mild creativity though. Land Cruisers mount their snorkels on the passenger side, IIRC.

Looks like it's made to go in there. Nice and clean. I've been giving thought to the snorkel issue as well, since I may need the intake on the passenger for that motor as well. It would be easy to bend a custom tube that fits into the fender like a Mantec snorkel, or perhaps adapt the flexible snorkel for an older Defender which has the intake on the passenger side.

LtFuzz

Explorer
Looks like it's made to go in there. Nice and clean. I've been giving thought to the snorkel issue as well, since I may need the intake on the passenger for that motor as well. It would be easy to bend a custom tube that fits into the fender like a Mantec snorkel, or perhaps adapt the flexible snorkel for an older Defender which has the intake on the passenger side.

Yeah, there are options out there -- the issue I can foresee is getting the intake past the coolant and washer fluid boxes. There really isn't much room or depth unless I really snake the intake.

I think I'd consider taking out the washer fluid box and replacing with a much smaller reservoir. It's definitely not essential to have 2 gallons of washer fluid sloshing around in there.

Picture of what I mean:

1139768229_oaNA2-XL.jpg

Last edited:

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
that is pretty cool.

are those motors pretty close to the same size as the 4.0 V8 and 4.6 V8?

It would be pretty cool to have a oil burner in my Range Rover:elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier