pickup truck bed trailers - any good?

joethefordguy

I've seen several pickup truck beds converted into trailers... are these worthwhile platforms to build into an expedition trailer? It seems to me off road suspension pieces would be available, they come with brakes, wiring, etc. I'm a little concerned about weight, and the drag from the differential.
what do you guys think? opinions?

jg

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Having had a couple (Both full size, 8' boxes) I don't think they would be a good start.

The brakes are hydraulic, usually drum, and not much good except with a 'surge' type brake. And they (the surge brake)can make backing up a real pain.

As you stated, the pumpkin hangs down.

And unless you're putting a pick up camper in it, the box isn't really designed for using the most space effectively.

It will also depend on your needs and wants.

If you just need the extra room to haul gear to basecamp, it may be just the ticket.

I used mine for hauling firewood and scrap, since I didn't have to really worry about cosmetic damage, and considered them a 'throw away' trailer.

Which is what I did with my last one:snorkel: Loaded it with scrap, drove to the scrap yard, pulled the tires, and left it there!:coffeedrink:

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Pickup truck bed trailers are great. They are sturdy and have a plethora of aftermarket accessories already made for them. You can get just about anything you want to accessorize your truck bed, including load bars, tents, cargo management systems, you name it... and you don't have to fab a thing.

Just get an aftermarket axle with electric brakes and you are set.

amelia

The trailer won't be real heavy, maybe in the territory of 500-750# or so. The way I generally make box trailers is to keep the tongue as long as possible, that way they trail better, and you can also have a tool box on the front of the box.

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Depends on what truck bed you use.

I picked this one up over the winter.

DSC02337.jpg

It's a 1951 GMC step side bed. No rust through on the body. Only surface rust. They built them tough in 1951.

DSC02351.jpg

The floor was wood but now covered by a steel plate which I'll be removing to remaking the wood floor. Followed by adding on regular trailer fenders with places on either side of them for propane tanks and fuel cans.
The axle under it is a straight axle from who knows where. But it's a light weight axle so it's gotta go.

The axle, hubs, wheels and springs will be replace with 3500 lb units.
And I'll be adding electric brakes! I'll rebuild the tongue while I'm at it with a better coupler. Maybe a Lunette or Lock and Roll.

The best part is I can add a rack real easy because the bed has stake holes.

Now all I need is some time to get started on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94