KING OEM Performance Series Shocks

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
i havnt seen anyone run them, King makes the best stuff though. ive got the bilsteins . they're aweosme

RB1

Observer
I've been wondering the same thing but my use is for a 2007 Chev 2500HD. I found one person on RDC that had them and liked them. Personally I think they would work out great and plan on ordering soon.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I've got them on my FJ Cruiser. I don't have a lot of experience with other aftermarket setups to use as a basis for comparison, but they certainly provide much better ride and suspension control vs. the stock suspension. I am very happy with the performance on and off road.

At the time my decision came down to Donahoe (now Icon) vs. King. I went with the Kings because a high percentage of the people I knew who were running Donahoes had leaking seals within the first year. Could have been a transient quality control problem - as you may know the company ended going through some turmoil around that time.

I did have a problem with a rear shock - I broke the mounting stud off the shock. This is an issue that I've seen happen with a small percentage of FJ rear shocks, and from what I've seen isn't limited to the Kings.

About the only negative I'd have is the price - they aren't cheap.

RB1

Observer
cnynrat- How do you like the valving? You think it is pretty close from the factory? And no, they aren't cheap:Wow1:

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I am happy with the valving on mine. When I ordered I let them know I would be running an aftermarket bumper and a winch up front, which I estimated was going to add a net of 150#. I believe they made some adjustments from their stock valving to compensate the extra weight up front.

Robert B

Adventurer
I installed Kings on my F150 about 3 weeks ago. They are not battled tested yet (other than blasting over speed bumps). As mentioned above, on the road, the ride is noticeably improved. It is firm and much better controlled, but by no means harsh.

I went for the Kings after meeting with the people at my local 4 Wheel Parts store a couple of times and contemplating how to lift my truck for the last 4 years. My number one criteria was that the lift needed to provide a functional improvement and I did not want to lift my truck more than necessary to accommodate 35" tires. For me, this eliminated spacers and most lift kits. I considered Bilstein 5100's, but the 4WP guy told me they were great on the road, but had a tendency to overheat over washboards. I also considered ICON's. The 4WP guy told me that he has ICON's on his truck and is happy with them, but likes the Kings more (which were not yet available when he bought the ICONs) because they provide a more controlled ride over washboard terrain -- which is typical of the So-Cal deserts. So, those considerations plus 4 years worth of research caused me to settle on the Kings. (I hope they don't suck when I really put them to the test.)

The Kings are expensive. Significantly, more expensive than Bilsteins; somewhat more expensive than ICON's. But, less expensive than a Rancho 4" lift, which is the one lift kit that I seriously considered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior