Airstream Eddie Bauer edition

haven

Expedition Leader
Airstream and Eddie Bauer are companies that cater to the "glamper," but they have roots in true exploration. Put the two companies together, and you get a trailer that caters to the well-heeled outdoors enthusiast.

The trailer designers took some inspiration from competitors' toy carrier models. This is the first Airstream I've seen with a rear-opening door.

airstream-eddie-bauer-1.jpg

The dinette benches and table fold up against the walls of the trailer to make room for oversize gear. To simplify cleaning, the floor is covered in a kitchen-grade vinyl

airstream-eddie-bauer-2.jpg

The Eddie Bauer Airstream also gets taller tires to improve ground clearance, and reinforced wheel wells to reduce damage from stones kicked off the tires. These will help the trailer travel on unimproved roads.

Nobody should think about taking this 25 foot trailer on tight or technical trails. That's what the toys carried inside the trailer (bikes, motorcycles) will be used for.

Airstream and Eddie Bauer have the reputation of providing quality products at high prices. This trailer sells for about $75K.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I've seen a couple with barn doors in the back, but never an overhead like that.

Nice.

cwsqbm

Explorer
I've seen a couple with barn doors in the back, but never an overhead like that.

Nice.

+1. Until recently, Airstream had a big toy hauler model (34' Panamerica) plus a tiny model (Base Camp) that wasn't the normal Airstream shape and lacked a bathroom.

Panamerica:
07_panamerica_rear_door.jpg

Base camp:
images

gearguywb

Explorer
Love the Airstreams, just can't swallow due to the price. I keep looking at Craigslist for a screaming deal though :)

Riptide

Explorer
They ought to make a drop-down screenhouse for that overhead door. Would be great for the buggy months...

Tie down points in the floor would be nice, too.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I recently was at a campground with two airstreams parked nearby. They are so nice but the pricetag is not. Wish they had a truly off road version to really lust after.

4x4v8

Observer
My family was considering one. We went to the dealerships and spent a day looking at them and learning about them. We almost puled the trigger but figured we would buy a 28ft Starcraft and buy another one down the road if we need something different for the same price as an airstream.

But they do look amazing and timeless.

cwsqbm

Explorer
Airstreams have always been expensive, but you don't see many 30+ year old campers from the stick-built makers. Its like the difference between being really high quality furniture that will last forever, or buying stuff at Ikea. The best way to get an Airstream trailer is used - use it for years, and then sell it for not much less than you paid.

I've always lusted after a 19' Bambi and I really like the deco on the "Swiss Army" edition. However, in 'researching' Airstreams (Airstream forum) I found a disturbing common thread among owners - namely it isn't the company that Wally Bynum created at all anymore. After too many takeovers/buyouts by companies only interested in widening their corp. portfolios for the stockholders, Airstream quality has suffered drastically.

So besides the very high entry price, you have numerous drives to the dealer tyo fix leaks everywhere and all sorts of 'assembly' problems due to lack of quality components, bad craftmanship, etc.

I don't blame the riveter that has had quite a few new management teams and business owners who don't care writing him a paycheck - he's probably burned out and just hoping to retire with a bit of money.

After reading all the horror stories (NOT model specific - it's across the entire product line) I decided that they were more than overpriced today. It's another example of a great former company name being used to produce an inferior product - I'm sure Wally is pissed up there in Airstream heaven!

Older Airstreams were probably built better but, they suffer from floor rot because the floors were (are) just plywood. Leaky roofs mean wet wood... That said, I'd consider an older model and fix to suit - I wouldn't buy new though.

Last edited:

BillTex

Adventurer
We are very pleased with our 89'. Very well built, tows like a dream, nice and comfy for long trips when we don't take the TC.

Having said that...I would agree...we don't care for the newer units; not the style or the quality.

IMO; the model years from early 1980's-1994 are the best bang for the buck. The are the heaviest years so require a stout TV...but they are well built, and can be had for much less $ than new ones ready to camp.

Vintage units are even lighter, so can be towed with lesser vehicles. Expect to restore an older one though...which is fine; the bones are all aluminum...and you can make a layout that suits your needs..after some work, they can be camped hard and put away wet...

Ours is 22 yrs old...and still in great shape. We expect to pass it on to our Son some day.

AS's can...and do...last for generations...with proper care and feeding.

Bill

4x4v8

Observer
We are very pleased with our 89'. Very well built, tows like a dream, nice and comfy for long trips when we don't take the TC.

Having said that...I would agree...we don't care for the newer units; not the style or the quality.

IMO; the model years from early 1980's-1994 are the best bang for the buck. The are the heaviest years so require a stout TV...but they are well built, and can be had for much less $ than new ones ready to camp.

Vintage units are even lighter, so can be towed with lesser vehicles. Expect to restore an older one though...which is fine; the bones are all aluminum...and you can make a layout that suits your needs..after some work, they can be camped hard and put away wet...

Ours is 22 yrs old...and still in great shape. We expect to pass it on to our Son some day.

AS's can...and do...last for generations...with proper care and feeding.

Bill

I agree that they can be passed down to the next generation if you care for them. It is just the initial purchase that is hard to swallow. I would really like to have one down the road, but my budget and time just doesn't allow me right now.

Hopefully your son will enjoy it as much, if not more, than how much you enjoyed it!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I've always lusted after a 19' Bambi and I really like the deco on the "Swiss Army" edition. However, in 'researching' Airstreams (Airstream forum) I found a disturbing common thread among owners - namely it isn't the company that Wally Bynum created at all anymore. After too many takeovers/buyouts by companies only interested in widening their corp. portfolios for the stockholders, Airstream quality has suffered drastically.

So besides the very high entry price, you have numerous drives to the dealer tyo fix leaks everywhere and all sorts of 'assembly' problems due to lack of quality components, bad craftmanship, etc.

I don't blame the riveter that has had quite a few new management teams and business owners who don't care writing him a paycheck - he's probably burned out and just hoping to retire with a bit of money.

After reading all the horror stories (NOT model specific - it's across the entire product line) I decided that they were more than overpriced today. It's another example of a great former company name being used to produce an inferior product - I'm sure Wally is pissed up there in Airstream heaven!

Older Airstreams were probably built better but, they suffer from floor rot because the floors were (are) just plywood. Leaky roofs mean wet wood... That said, I'd consider an older model and fix to suit - I wouldn't buy new though.

Interesting comment as I just finished reading the Airstream article in Overland Journal.

The conclusion was a bit sad as they mentioned how most people only used their Airstream for trips closer to home nowadays. I suspect that the very high entry price is discouraging people to take them on a long overland trip. I know I really like the Bambi but can't commit to bring a $40K trailer through Africa...

:)

Yeah,
AS are truly beautiful and the orig. design has weathered the years quite well. It was so ahead of it's time in the beginning years. Today, they look 'just right'.

I was really put off by owner complaints, especially the dealer run-arounds some experienced. However, after all the bugs are fixed, most owners seem to be happy.

They aren't made to take off-road at all. People who have tried are complaining about the cabinetry falling apart on rough roads - we're talking dirt/gravel secondary roads - not off-road .

That said, I would really like to take one to the big "bear parks" so I could sleep with BOTH eyes closed at night!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94