Need some ideas from clever fabricator types

DirtyDog

Adventurer
I've got a camper project started for 2011 and I need help conceptualizing a rack system for the back. The goal is to have a flexible mounting system that will allow me to hang bikes, fuel cans, shovels, axes, or anything else i need to haul with me. The camper will not have a rear door so the entire wall can be used. The goal is to have something that either has some kind of mechanical attachment system that can be configured for a variety of gear types, or more simply just aluminum plates that can be drilled through for things like mountain bike fork blocks and AT fuel can holders - without drilling through the camper wall.

Ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

DirtyDog

Adventurer
Well after researching a bunch of options i decided with the KISS method and am going to mount a Yakima rack on the back :)

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I want to hear what you're planning for a new camper project! The Hawk isn't doing it for you any more?

For what it's worth, if I ever pull the trigger and order the camper I'm currently looking at, I'm having them add support on the rear wall to hang a Yakima rack (or similar) to use for bikes, snowboards, fuel cans or whatever the case may be. Seemed to be the easier universal setup I thought about doing.

DirtyDog

Adventurer
I want to hear what you're planning for a new camper project! The Hawk isn't doing it for you any more?

For what it's worth, if I ever pull the trigger and order the camper I'm currently looking at, I'm having them add support on the rear wall to hang a Yakima rack (or similar) to use for bikes, snowboards, fuel cans or whatever the case may be. Seemed to be the easier universal setup I thought about doing.

I'm going to get a custom camper built for a flatbed. I feel the flatbed platform is far superior for a small camper. One advantage will be that the door will be on the side, freeing up the entire back to mount gear, mountain bikes etc. We've been hashing out ideas over here if you are interested:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4194/

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I would weld box steel to the frame or use a hitch, both having a hole drilled in them to pin another smaller box steel as a receiver slides into a hitch. The smaller box is then attached above the tubbing with the box stock extending beyound the specialized frames you want to use, baskets, platforms, racks, etc. Each can be used and pinned in. Now, say you want to take the bike rack and a platform to hold extra gear. Use a larger piece of stock as used attached to the vehicle, attach the bike rack, then attach the larger stock as a sleeve on the rear of the rack, pin it and then slide in the next attachment.

Depending on how far back you want to hook these attachments you may need additional supports, maybe two box steel receivers and extensions, one on each side.

That's how I'd do it....good luck! :coffeedrink:

Engineer Guy

Modular Options

Eons ago, I made a similar set-up to the Post above. It worked well, but I only went 'back' one config; not multiple ones. I used painted square Steel channel and had smaller sizes drop vertically into the next size up. The fit was pretty tight even before I pinned it with Trailer Hitch Ball-type Cotter Pins. You can bungee the assembly upper corners to 2 Vehicle points to prevent excess wobbling.

My present idea for consideration is to use some quick-disconnect Tubing I see 'everywhere', but can't find a Website for right now. Via various Elbows and Tees, you can pretty much work up any config you want. The 'corner' Hardware tightens with Allen Screws. I've seen it used to create Scaffolds; create Walls for Sidewalks to walk around at urban Construction Sites; and even as temporary seating at Edinburgh Castle for Summer Bagpipe/Marching Band reviews. The ability to create and recreate various very strong configs w/o Welding is why it's used in the scenarios above. The Tubing looks like it's either cast Aluminum, or is similar to Galvanized Conduit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior