LSD in the front end?

4x4junkie

Explorer
Has anyone lived with a Detroit Locker in the rear on the street for awhile? I currently use my F250 as a daily driver. Obviously with a F250 I'm not building a rock crawler or something to negoiate techinical trails.

Experiences?

If you have an automatic transmission, a Detroit (or other automatic locker) in the rear actually isn't all that bad, you just have to be careful (or at least know what to expect) if you apply the throttle any more than just lightly during a turn. Having the longer wheelbase lessens some of it's handling quirks as well.

With a manual trans, the Detroit becomes a bit more of a headache in routine driving, due to the lash built into the unit.

I've had a Detroit in my Ranger pickup (stickshift) for a number of years now. I may switch it back to an ARB or something else.

As for traction devices in a front axle, selectable is really the only option in my opinion, especially on a vehicle that does not have locking hubs. This leaves you in full control for when you encounter the rare situation that might require it (no sense fighting with a non-selectable unit the 99% of the time you don't need it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94