2008 F250 Build

lllateralus

Observer
Problem with a cummins is it comes with a dodge. I hate the dodge part of my truck I would much rather have a F250 with a cummins....

I had the same thoughts, but went with a 2001 F350 4X4 (single rear) crew cab with the trusty 7.3 and have no regrets.

I am really enjoying this truck and think it is the best compromise to cummins infatuation..

Cummins = FANTASTIC engine, OK truck
7.3 = GREAT engine, GREAT truck

(in my opinion, of course)

I do think the 1st gen Dodge is a pretty solid piece of American iron, though.

chp-sk8

Adventurer
the build

I have a 2008 F350 and have Sunk alot of $$$$ into it. Larry has stated some facts about the issues. My 6.4 was plagued with all of the problems early on. I have them all sorted out and 50k without a hitch. here is what I have, 8in lift, 38's, Warn heavey bumper w/16.5k winch, Fabfour rear bumper, I too am looking for a FWC. I have to say that the tires that I am running have served me well and have 40k on/offroad and pulling 14k from time to time. they are Pro-comp At. The (E) 4x4 shift has never let me down...but it gets quite a bit, and I tend to avoid deep mud....get under your rig and get familiar with manually shifting your transfer. Looks like you got a good plan and are well underway with your build.

ktn00000

Observer
By the way, I am pretty confident the truck will be able to do those trails and others without a lift. One of the beautiful things about these F250's, the size of tires they will take without a lift. Additionally, on many of these trails ground clearance is required but height works against you. If you are too tall you cannot deal with the off cantor portions, the trees and the rock outcroppings.

Looking NOT to lift, particularly since I plan to add the camper.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
You’re right with that one. New trucks definitely accept larger tires without much if any lift at all. The new Dodge’s are incredible like that too. On a heavy truck like a Super Duty I wouldn’t see a modest 3”-4” lift being a huge damper with respect to CG.

You mentioned Taylor Pass. This one particular spot towards Taylor Lake gets pretty hairy where I saw a couple fellers from Texas rearrange their new stock Super Duty’s door bottoms, RR bed bottom and exhaust defuser as they crashed their way down. If you ever been over this trail you know the spot. If you ever plan on fishing Grizzly Lake in that same area you will definitely need more than a stock ride height vehicle to climb the wall at the trail head.

This little stock YJ even took a good beating coming down the step on Taylor Pass. It doesn't look steep from this camera angle because I am standing on my tailgate.
2802439426_75cd88164c_z.jpg

ktn00000

Observer
I have seen more vehicles damaged on Taylor Pass than any other trail in Colorado. I was with a group up there when a guy with a J20 (that is a 3/4 ton Jeep truck for the younger folks) broke his high lift jack trying to get off the rocks! Seen a lot of people damage there rigs but snapping a jack kind of took the prize.

I have smashed a TJ rear bumper up there on a rock. Ugly but not fatal.

On the other hand, I have also driven a stock 1990 F250 with 235/85-16's over Taylor Pass as well with no damage or drama. It pays to pay attention, some spots are unforgiving if you lose situational awareness for a moment or two.

Great photo by the way. The northern end of Taylor Park is pretty much my favorite spot in all of Colorado. If there is a more beautiful place to wake up to in the morning in the entire world than Dorchester, looking south down the valley walled by peaks while the sun comes up, then I don't know where it is.

Last edited:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I agree with that as well. An experience driver has a great deal to do with the outcome.

I love that area as well. Chaffee County is awesome. Never done any good fishing up there though. Saw a bunch of fresh bear scat (damn near steaming) on our last trip this past summer. We decided to leave in a hurry.

Not to highjack but here are two more pictures of that spot. This was my computers wallpaper for a long time.
1188956090_04a31642e4_z.jpg

Packing up after a cccold night at Taylor Lake
1188089109_95fe31f30a_z.jpg

ktn00000

Observer
Speaking of height and a lift and a camper, one of the things I have been thinking through is the Breckenridge side of Georgia Pass. It can be pretty tight weaving through the trees on that side with a full size truck. The side trails off the north side of Georgia Pass gets even tighter, extremely tight and off cantor for a full size truck if you have ever been down those trails.

Starting to lean toward a FWC considering the minimal overhang over the cab. Also thinking if someone like Phoenix would be interested in building a non-cabover popup.

Getting a camper that hangs out any distance over the cab, with those corners sticking out there, between those trees may not be possible. June or July or when ever the snow gets reduced to a drivable level I will have to head up there and do Georgia Pass one afternoon while paying close attention to what it would be like doing it with a camper.

Like I need an excuse...

I have had two non-cabover eight foot Alaskan campers in the past (one on a '66 K20 4x4 and one one a '76 J20) and my first thought was putting a non-cabover Alaskan on this F250. They are perfect for offroading from a size and weight distribution point of view. However, the 61 inch tailgate opening is a problem for the older Alaskans. It will slide in there fine but I can come up with no good (safe and secure) place and way to secure the propane. I looked pretty hard and could not come up with a propane bottle narrow enough to slide down the rails between truck and camper. I am not real fond of the notion of hanging it off the back of the camper.

I would probably go with an older Alaskan non-cabover if I could find a way to solve that issue that I was comfortable with.

In other words, it is not going to fall off or get bashed up on a trail like Taylor Pass.

Last edited:

ktn00000

Observer
That top picture is exactly the obstacle I am building for (that I mentioned in the first post of this thread).
Take a camper out of the creek and up the hill. If it does that without damage or drama then I have met my success criteria!

Great photo!

Last edited:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Never been over Georgia Pass. I read about it and heard about it. Sounds like a neat trail. We usually hit the trails that have fish on the other end somewhere :sombrero:

Since you live in Denver you owe it to yourself to go over the visit Rob and Cari at Phoenix campers in Commerce City. Custom builds are their specialty. I bet they could easily build you a non-cabover camper. Heck, they build campers Chevy Avalanches and even built one for a Ford Ranchero. They are getting ready to start building a pop up for my ’78 K10 next month. I can’t wait!

If you haven’t had a chance to read Carlyle’s thread on his Super Duty with an Alaskan camper check it out. He has a great set up. He lives about 20 minutes down Hwy 50 from me. We’ve never met but I see his truck around from time to time.

ktn00000

Observer
Sportsmans Show in Denver this weekend; Phoenix, Hallmark and FWC will all be there with campers. I intend to talk to them all.

ktn00000

Observer
I went to the Sportsmans Show today and checked out the campers (Phoenix, FWC, Hallmark, Northstar).

Hallmarks are very nice but very pricey.

Phoenix would build me a non-cabover popup that could be interesting.

FWC may be the leader here, both in price and what you get for the money.

Down to two...

huntsonora

Explorer
I went to the Sportsmans Show today and checked out the campers (Phoenix, FWC, Hallmark, Northstar).

Hallmarks are very nice but very pricey.

Phoenix would build me a non-cabover popup that could be interesting.

FWC may be the leader here, both in price and what you get for the money.

Down to two...

I was at the show in Denver yesterday and looked at the campers as well. Ireally likes the FWC they had on the back of that Dodge!

ktn00000

Observer
Yep, the Grandby on an eight foot bed was pretty nice. They have extended over the cab quite a bit more than they used to.

Phoenix had some interesting set ups, on an old little Cherokee and on a new Wrangler. It seems like Phoenix will definitely build you what ever you wish!

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Does your truck have a manual transfer case?...I can't see in the pictures...I am looking for a similar platform for a FWC and would prefer a lever vs little knob on the dash...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior