2011 Tac Ideas

Newtac11

Observer
First time caller, Long time listener (well OK...a week, But I've read 100 pages of TACDOC's thread...before i found the Cliff notes version, and all of FlyingWil's thread)

Anyway, I recently bought a 2011 Tacoma QuadCab shortbed...very short bed...(it seemed longer when i was looking at it in the dark. Mental note, never finalize your purchase after nightfall). I even waited till after the first payment to take it off road! Of course pinstripe tree branch scratches followed. I was EXTREMELY impressed at the traction it has stock! (as a matter of fact, I really have to work to get it to break free in the snow and ice while in 4wd) Now I am trying to figure out what I can stuff into it. It seems the designers at Toyota have done a very good job at using all the interior space.

Things I have and are unmounted now:

- Hydraulic MileMarker 10.5K winch http://www.milemarker.com/products/hiseries.html (needs rebuild) I pulled something like 30-40 pounds of cable off of last night.
- A Honda 3.5k Generator http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/...tion=P2GG&modelname=EG3500&modelid=EG3500XK1A I use a lot of electricity sometimes (tech geek), and never mind loaning some out...I'll also be trying to dabble with some solar ideas.
- A Max Ax http://www.maxax.com/ I have used em in the Army...and like that it saves space rather than carry separates (anything that I can use for 2 or more jobs wins IMHO)
- A Cobra 29 WX NW ST http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cobra-cb-radios-66/cobra-29-wx-nw-st-classic-cb-radio-186.html (again multitask with the weather button, but it is massive in space requirements)
- For 2 meter work, I have an old Motorola GM360 (136-174 version) http://www.comm-spec.com/radio/100056/Motorola-GM360-VHF-UHF-25Watts (this is not optimal, but if I can get it programmed for a few common freq's...it will make due until I can replace it. Or maybe ill just figure a way to hook an amp to my EFJohnson 5100 http://www.efjohnsontechnologies.com/products/portables/5100es
- A HiLift Jack....really don't think there's a need to link this one :D
- An iPad 3g model. Say what you want, but the large screen (for bad eyes/quick reference) and the integrated GPS along with the small, light footprint and forever battery makes it VERY handy. ( I can download a terrain/trail map using MGRS or Lat long of a 50 mile radius of where I'm going in seconds, along with all my music and movies...again multi-taskers here)

I still need to use the rear seats for the kids right now. They should be done with HS in 3 years....8 at current pace.

Things for future Purchase:
- Bumper/winch mount front
- Bumper rear...pref with swing out fuel/water rack
- Rock rails (there's a lot of room between tires compared to my ex 94 YJ) COMPLETED
- rebuild that winch! with synthetic line...
- Flippac
- Suspension lift 2.5" COMPLETED

This is getting way to long, and I have asked to many questions, so I'll sum up, I need to put all this in an order of accomplishment also. What is needed most for the trail first. (ie...suspension now before loading with weighty equipment? Front and rear bumpers for good protection/snatch-block connections? or get the electronics figured out before tying more in to electrical?)

If you have read all this I thank-you,
Charles

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
My advice is to keep it simple and LIGHT. Bolt too much on and that 4.0 will get thirsty... I get 14mpg on a good day ;)

It will already do most everything and every place you can think of in stock form.
You NEED rock sliders for socal deserts IMO, but the bumpers are debatable, if I did my rear bumper again I would leave the spare down low on the stock location for CG/weight reasons and have the swingout hold 3 cans (I most likely will do this for V2.0).
My winch has only ever been used to pull others, gadgets are no substitute for driving skill and a good line.

Throw an OME suspension on there and some BFG AT's or ******** Cepeck Fun Country II's and go!

By the time you purchase a cap, rack and RTT you would have saved money buying a Flippac. I keep my spare under in the stock location with a modified mount to fit my 315/70/17. Only issue with that is when wheeling in the snow (deep) and backing up, it helps get you high centered. Welcome to the Taco club!

Newtac11

Observer
Pics Attached...Bone Stock. BTW, I was nervous as hell parking on that rock...was about 100' drop on 3 sides. Really happy with the hold on that parking break, but got back in the truck quick anyway.

Pics Taken at Approx 39.014399, -105.141725

Attachments

• IMAG0033up.JPG
    IMAG0033up.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 395
  • IMAG0037up.JPG
    IMAG0037up.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 318
  • IMAG0035up.JPG
    IMAG0035up.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:

thenomad

I'm planning on buy a new tacoma in the coming months and my ocd has made me research on modding to my liking. So far I've contacted ARE and Leer and both will not hold over 150lbs. Snugtop makes one that will hold 400lbs but that still isn't enough for me. One option I've found is the rack system that sits between the bed and cap and up around the sides of the cap. Not ideal.

My plans so far are icon stage 4 suspension, sliders, and continue to figure out the back. I ideally want a maggiolina on top of a cap if I can find one strong enough. Definitely new tires, most likely 285/70/16 and possibly powdercoat the stock rims if they will work with the icon.

What are your goals with this truck? Thanks for sharing your ideas.

btw I as well was with 1st CAV and was in Sadr City in 04-05.

Newtac11

Observer
Plans for the truck...that's tricky...

Its my daily driver (bout 30 HWY miles one way) so TACODOC's rec of keeping it light is a concern.

That being said...I am not easy on my trucks...I plan on hitting dirt trails with large bumps at high speed, and take on very narrow very steep rocky trails....with a lot more caution. Weekend camping trips, and expeditions with the family are being planned.

So...Rock rails will be high on the priority list. I'm leaning twords the ARE top right now ( I like the windoors, and I have a couple reg tents laying about)
A very small bumper for the winch, and a rear bumper with swing out for fuel cans (never put my fuel inside the bed)
It seems the popular vote is keeping the spare where it is, so I will.
I always drooled over the OME suspension when I was a YJ owner, so the idea of putting one on the Toy is great.

DOC, I agree there are a lot of drivers out there that either take the situation to light, take a bad line, or just have a moment of dumb luck. I'm usually behind them :( So the winch will also be more for others...hopefully. It will be the first one i have ever owned, and I am glad to say I have never needed one...(well there was one time, but when your engine is sitting in the bottom of a tank ditch 2 feet below your Jeep, a winch wont help much)

Anyway, let me know if these plans are on/off track.

Thank-you.

Last edited:

Newtac11

Observer
Nomad,
Almost forgot...I was in 4/5 ADA at the time (on Blackjack, Victory...or one of the 3 other names they gave it) Our mission at the time started as route sec on Cardinals and other northern roads, along with BIAP ECP security, but for 9 months we were Route Irish Security between BIAP and Green Zone. Sounds like we were suckin the same sand...

Stay Safe

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Sadr city... It was called Saddam city in ' 03 when 1st Marine Division took it over. I was there with 2nd Bn 5th Marines (V/2/5)

If you're doing a front winch bumper, I highly recommend ARB.

OME 886's and Dakars with the extra leaf and tires of your choice and you're set.

Also, I agree with the statement above about FlipPacs. I had as much into my custom rack and RTT as a FlipPac would have cost me. A shell and RTT with the necessary mods will run you the same. May as well do it right the first time and cry once ;)

Last edited:

barlowrs

Explorer
Welcome

I too run the OME 886 and Dakars in the rear..great setup. I agree with Dave, sliders should be one of your first additions. The tacoma is quite capable stock, just need to protect it. I wheeled mine all over when it was stock, now its slightly modified, but has always been an excellent rig.

If you have questions, feel free to shoot them our way, there are several very nice new tacos here and a wealth of knowlage.

Good luck,
Robert

Newtac11

Observer
Thanks for the info guys. I'm getting prices, and fine tuning my "want list" now to create a budget.

Robert,
You've done some great electronics mods to create space where there is none in the cab. Is there a thread somewhere that has more of these kinds of mods? (I can't find one) Also, this 2011 came with a lot of airbags...will that be a problem if I try to remove headliner/pillar plastic concealing them?

Thanks again,

barlowrs

Explorer
Thanks for the info guys. I'm getting prices, and fine tuning my "want list" now to create a budget.

Robert,
You've done some great electronics mods to create space where there is none in the cab. Is there a thread somewhere that has more of these kinds of mods? (I can't find one) Also, this 2011 came with a lot of airbags...will that be a problem if I try to remove headliner/pillar plastic concealing them?

Thanks again,

Hmm, I am not sure of a place that has electronic mods, most of mine are either one off or got some insperation from others on this forum and tacomaworld. All of the stuff I have done is in my build thread, and if you have any questions about any of it, feel free to ask.

I gues just search for whatever you are thinking about doing here and tacomaworld and hopefully someone has done it, if not ask questions and it can probably be figured out.

Desert Dan

Explorer
I like the double cab with the short bed.

How are people sleeping in the back?
Kitty corner? or has anyone made a small tent to cover your feet and tailgate ?

Has anyone made a skid plate to cover the exhaust crossover pipe on the cross member? That looks like it is the most vulnerable on the under carrige>

barlowrs

Explorer
Bud Built skids that I run work with the stock exhaust crossover. If you alter it (remove the low hanging crossover) you can gain about an inch of clearance though. the skids work for either configuration (just a spacer)

meafordmike

Adventurer
I like the double cab with the short bed.

How are people sleeping in the back?
Kitty corner? or has anyone made a small tent to cover your feet and tailgate ?

Has anyone made a skid plate to cover the exhaust crossover pipe on the cross member? That looks like it is the most vulnerable on the under carrige>
You can check out my platform build. My wife and I have slept in it many nights.
To get the 6 ft, I flip open the storage door and place ammo can under it and then hang a tarp off the rear.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/57002-i-built-new-seeping-platform.html

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles