The Mad Scientist in me has been released

So...

I have been wanting to getting into canning for some time now, both as a means of being prepared and as a means of being prepared. The wifey has been doing the water bath method for her peach marmalade and a few other items but boiling water is far to mundane for me…no it simply wont do. I WANT STEAM AND PRESSURE!!! Ok a little over the top I know but a neighbor has let us barrow a pressure canner to experiment with and I am having fun.

My question is what else I can can? I would love to hear from those out there that have pressure canned in the past and or still do and what sort of things have you canned. I can’t be the only mad scientist here? The weight is an issue but we have taken some canned items with us camping and I make a far better chili then in any store bought can.

INSAYN

Adventurer
Every year near end of the summer camping season, we make a trip to Oregon coast and buy a few fresh caught Albacore tuna from a friend that is just coming back to dock in Newport. He carcs it at the dock so we only have the loins and belly fat to take back to camp. Once back we have a full canning lineup going with a huge 2' x 4' starboard cutting board and electric knife to process the loins and belly fat into usable chunks to stuff into pint jars. This year we had 3 pressure cookers going at a time.

Beauty of doing it this way is that tuna processing can make a place smell pretty gnarly after a day, so we do it right there at camp, where we can wash off all the processing gear, and cooled jars before we head home. :chef:

Nothing better than fresh canned tuna 6 months later.

BACON ROCKS!!!!

The bacon experiment was my first pressure canning after an artical in Backwoods Home Magazine. Really worked well and came out great.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
When chickens were on sale my Mom would make gallons of chicken noodle soup, with home made noodles, and can it up in quart jars. :drool:
She would can just about anything you could think of;
Crab
Beef stew
chicken salad
Ham Hocks and beans
Salmon

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
I am the canner in the family, my wife usually offers a hand when I need it.

We have an organic vegetable garden, so we can the following items:
tomatoes (stewed, sauce, juice)
pickles
beans (pickled and non)
peaches
pepers

everything else we either dehydrate or freeze or both

We though about canning some of the salmon we caught in Alaska this year, but it is too good on the Barbque!

Cilantro and Jalepeno Glazed Salmon
DSCF0512.JPG

Tacovendor

Explorer
I fish out of San Diego on long range trips and can my tuna and yellowtail, it is absolutely the best canned fish you can eat! I'll put a tablespoon of olive oil and teaspoon of sea salt, maybe a clove of garlic or a jalepeno and it lasts for a long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94