Jack's 2007 Chevy Build

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Bummer Man... You went from a reliable piece of machinery to a GM product (the athisis of the previous statement) I just can't fathom what on earth would make you swap an LC for a POJ GM truck??? I'm guessing it has something to do with work and a freee vheicle otherwise... WHOOPS. Could have at LEAST gotten a Dodge (aka a decent domestic truck LEAPS and bounds above anything with a Bow tie on it)

First mod: Checking for all the TSB's (gonna be ALOT of them I'm guessing) on the truck and getting those fixed... Then you can actually DRIVE it.

Is it too late for you to get the Cruiser back??? I'm getting sick for you just looking at the pics/post... God how I hate GM products. I'm SO SORRY for your loss.

Cheers

DAve

You are a funny guy, do you use a strap to keep the Toyota/Rose colored glasses on when offroading???:wings:

Toyotas are far, far from perfect, so please put down the kool-aid.

I have owned a lot of different vehicles in my life, including 5 Toyotas and none of them have been all that reliable. I have had to rebuild/replace everything from starters @ 100k (which is about as long as a Toyota starter will last) to rebuilding transmissions to headgaskets (which Toyota has set the standard in for number of vehicles needing HG's) to rebuilding the entire front suspension (most of the repairs listed above took place around 100k).

In fact my 1990 Jeep Wrangler and my 1995 Mazda MX6 have been the absolute most reliable vehicles I have owned.

We will see how this one does, but the number of these era trucks with 400k+ on them with minimal problems (both gas and diesel) speaks well for their build quality. I drove a 2002 GMC 1500 with 165k miles and it was much "tighter" than my 80 with the same miles. Both vehicles were just drivers, my 80 didn't get "used" until I bought it.

The great thing is, you can drive what you want, and I will drive what I want. Life is too short to only drive one kind of vehicle.

To everyone else, thanks, I look forward to many many happy miles.

Jack

UHAULER

Explorer
Nice truck. I just sold a 2000 Chevy silverado 1/2 ton 2wd with the 5.3, it was the most reliable vehicle i've had. It had 156,000 miles when I sold it.

My wife has had a 1994 Toyota ex cab 4x4 22r, 5 speed since dec. 93 and has only put 126,000 miles on it. I tried to get her to keep the chevy and get rid of the toy but she is too attached to it.

It gets tiring listening to anybody with that much brand loyalty no matter what you drive. Every vehicle has its good and bad points.

One bad thing about my wifes truck is there is nowhere to get it serviced or any parts for it, as we all know( and have been told, over and over) Toyotas never break or wear out so there isn't a need for a parts or service department at the Toyota dealerships.

xpndbl3

Adventurer
I'd put my 1 ton suburban with sbc/th400 trans up against that toyota any day of the week. Guess it helps him feel better at night knowing his toyota is indestructible. Guess you can't have drivetrain issues if you don't make any power. ;) Just says something when I have 195k on the truck and haven't spent more than a grand on it in parts/repairs in over 4 years and the truck is over 20 years old. EVERYTHING breaks, has issues, etc. If you know what repairs or modifications to make ahead of time, you'll have a safe enjoyable vehicle.

Rot Box

Explorer
Thanks 4resue! I think you just made the shallowest statement of the day! :wings:

To the op looks like a really nice pickup and I hope it serves you well. The Dmax/Allison is a great combo and should do everything you'd ever want it to for years to come. Did you get the classic of did you end up with the emissions equipped model?

Andrew

geo.greg

Observer
looking forward to ongoing updates on the fullsize chevy. My 2001 2500 burb has been running strong since new, now with 165k miles Ive only had some minor AC work and a fuel pump.
Check out some of the places it has been Facebook Album
Here was our day trip on Jan 1, 2011
167705_1702215591894_1133088896_1920058_4435294_n.jpg

locrwln

Expedition Leader
To the op looks like a really nice pickup and I hope it serves you well. The Dmax/Allison is a great combo and should do everything you'd ever want it to for years to come. Did you get the classic of did you end up with the emissions equipped model?

Andrew

I agree, it will make a great addition to my 2002 PSD. Classic all the way. :wings:

Jack

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Sorry... Don't like GM's at all. Ever (OK maybe the OLD ones like the Old K5 Blazer we have here with us but new GM...). Hope the build goes well and the truck serves you as needed...

Cheers

DAve

suecyde

Observer
Sorry... Don't like GM's at all. Ever (OK maybe the OLD ones like the Old K5 Blazer we have here with us but new GM...). Hope the build goes well and the truck serves you as needed...

Cheers

DAve

Funny thing is that I am sure that the Majority of ppl on here don't like Pricks... but you don't see them bashing you! If you were a true enthusiast. You could find the positives and negatives in every vehicle.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Come on guys, 4Rescue just like to get a rise out of folks...I've read some of his replys and they give me a chuckle..:ylsmoke:
He does lik ehis yota's and thats ok...I'm sure if we ever met on the trail , my Dodge or XJ wpould be more than happy to pull his yota out .....it wouldn't be the first time I'v recovered a stuck vehicle...:sombrero::wings::victory::bike_rider:

Lets all have a drink and pontificate on this...(always wanted to use that word)(sounds funny when oyu say it):friday::beer::peepwall::jump::xxrotflma

Desert Drifter

Observer
JMHO but the 07 Chev was the last good looking truck Chev made!!! Love those "mad cat eyes"!!!!!

Congrats on a sweet truck!!! :)

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I don't know if you know about this mod but it is about the best one I have done to my 2500hd. You can put a lot of gear under there. http://www.du-ha.com/

Very cool. Too bad my refrigerator will take up that space. I will keep it in mind for the future.

JMHO but the 07 Chev was the last good looking truck Chev made!!! Love those "mad cat eyes"!!!!!

Congrats on a sweet truck!!! :)

My wife and I agree, love the "cat eyes" as well.

Jack

BillTex

Adventurer
Nice rig...congrats...I am always amazed that so few Folks here are yet to discover the comfort and convenience of TC's.

I see some pretty elaborate RTT's/tent farms/etc...it would take me an entire weekend just to set up all that nylon!

With a TC...just drive in...open the door...grab a cold one...

I know you can't always get a TC into some of the most remote spots...but looking at the pics on this forum...75% of Folks here would be well served...and more comfortablw with a TC...FWC or any flavor really.

You will love the D/A...a real sweat, economic powerplant. The alli tranny is just unreal...

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles