Jack's 2007 Chevy Build

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I have to really thank spressomon, my wife, and my buddy Will (skid steer operator) for all of their help today.

Thank you, it looks just as good in person. Here are two more pics. Unfortunately, the installation kit didn't arrive with the bed, so I could only strap it down for now.

IMG_2319-XL.jpg

IMG_2320-XL.jpg

The shoulder is doing well, I hope to start physical therapy in a couple of weeks. Still pretty limited and can only use one hand, so I really needed everyone's help.

I won't be able to get it truly installed and wired for at least another week. I plan on getting the top surface of the flatbed Line-X'd.

Jack

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I really like the way the flatbed looks Jack. It must have taken a while to be fabricated as it looks like the flatbed is extremly well thought out and made. Was it done by a shop or a friend? I know welding aluminum can be tricky. We are all anxoiusly awaiting the next step of your build. Great job! Cheers, Chilli..:cool:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I really like the way the flatbed looks Jack. It must have taken a while to be fabricated as it looks like the flatbed is extremly well thought out and made. Was it done by a shop or a friend? I know welding aluminum can be tricky. We are all anxoiusly awaiting the next step of your build. Great job! Cheers, Chilli..:cool:

It was built by Alum-Line in Iowa. They had built a similar bed in the past and I just had to work with them to adjust it to my design. I was only able to give it a quick once over prior to leaving town, but overall , I’m thrilled with the build quality. Thank you .

Looks good, Jack. Glad to hear the shoulder is improving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too and thank you.

that looks great!

Thank you, so far I’m really happy with it. Can’t wait to get it fully installed, wired, and put my touches on it.

Hoping the camper will be done in July, maybe August at the latest.

Jack

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Jack, that is some fine looking flattie you've got there. As per your paradigm: light, spare, waste-less, nimble, and purpose built. I assume there is no 3 or 4 point equalization: none needed for a non-Ford short bed.
jefe

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Jack, that is some fine looking flattie you've got there. As per your paradigm: light, spare, waste-less, nimble, and purpose built. I assume there is no 3 or 4 point equalization: none needed for a non-Ford short bed.
jefe

Thank you, I am really happy with how it
came out.

And you are correct on the lack of complex mounting system. I have flexed this truck extensively both empty and loaded and have measured less than an inch of deflection between the cab and bed at full twist. Just don’t see a reason to build/add that kind of mounting system.

Jack

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Are you going to mount the flat tray a little higher than usual for extra tire clearance?

There is a lot of clearance above the tire. It’s clear to the underside of the bed surface. I’ll try and get some pictures when I get back to town.

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Well as the saying goes, "one step forward and two steps back." We pulled the bed back off of the truck yesterday so that I can complete some of the little modifications before it's permanently attached. Besides, the anchoring system was missing a few parts upon arrival, so I couldn't attach it if I wanted to.
IMG_2354-XL.jpg

IMG_2355-XL.jpg

IMG_2356-XL.jpg

As you can see from the above pictures, there is a whole lot area under the bed for mud and other icky stuff to get into. I ordered some aluminum wheel tubs, which will hopefully be here next week. Those will be modified and welded into the space between the boxes to enclose the wheel wells. Once installed, I will be using U-Pol Raptor liner on the underside of the wheel well, front and bottom of the tool boxes to prevent them getting completely destroyed.

I also have to route the fuel filler neck to get around the front tool box, so I have to pick up some 2" tubing to make two 90 degree bends to get from the fuel tank to the filler port on the bed side.

Jack

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Jack, looks great! I really love my flatbed, ill be adding two under body box's in the rear in the next few months. with only a few things i would do different next time. I installed my own as well, and honestly the biggest pain was the fuel filler neck. if i were to do it again, i would do that different. Currently mine is routed above the driver side tool box, this causes the filler hose to be flat the depth of the box prior to dropping, causes slow fill. If that station has a nozzle condom it wont fill at all w/o holding the rubber up,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles