Jack's 2007 Chevy Build

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Thank you and me neither. Now that you have gotten the suspension work done on your truck, maybe you can keep up on the washboard...:wings:

Jack

I think I'll need more than the OME to keep up with you guys. For a minute or two I thought I was following Spresso again... You guys made some great time through that washed out boulder section. It only cost me a broken interior cabinet and a metal Wedco H2o can that was never recovered. I back tracked and talked to the next five guys on the trail looking for my H2o can. All of them said they didn't see it, four of them were telling the truth.

freelheeler

Nothing like coming in late to the party...

I've started a variety of posts on websites to discuss what my next truck should be. To be honest I've been overlooking chevy/gmc's... I'd come across a few of your posts but just wouldn't believe! I was convinced a dodge was what I wanted but after yet another disappointing test drive the wife and I took a chevy 2500 z71 2009 6.0 for a test drive... smooth. The dodge cummings (noise/ rough ride) really turned her off on diesel but we may need to take a duramax for a spin.

The short of it is it's great to hear about folks getting after it with chevy's... we walked away from the test drive impressed and wanting to learn more, i'm in the market!

josephbradshaw7

Jack,
New to the community here but recently picked up an 06 gmc duramax quad cab with super low miles. I want to do almost exactly what you have done and have begun the process already. I havent seen a "build list" of everything u have done. I can see the exterior stuff easy enough but not internal components. Im having some concerns about the steering parts in the truck and want it to be reliable when im in the middle of nowhere. I know youve done some things but not sure what.
Thanks in advance,
Joey

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Jack,
New to the community here but recently picked up an 06 gmc duramax quad cab with super low miles. I want to do almost exactly what you have done and have begun the process already. I havent seen a "build list" of everything u have done. I can see the exterior stuff easy enough but not internal components. Im having some concerns about the steering parts in the truck and want it to be reliable when im in the middle of nowhere. I know youve done some things but not sure what.
Thanks in advance,
Joey

Welcome to the site and of course congrats on the truck!!

As far as steering, from earlier in the build:

Before we had a failure in the back country, I decided to get proactive against any breakage. Off came the factory steering and on went the DMax Store's Kryptonite steering upgrade with Cognito Steering Support system. Replaced the pitman arm and idler arm as well. So the complete steering system has been replaced/upgraded.

I didn't get any pictures post install, I was too busy trying to get cleaned up and get it to the shop for an alignment.

Steering is really tight and feels totally different (truck had 84k on original parts).

I have done a few other things that are hard to see,
King 2.5" Reservoir shocks
Aero 52 gallon fuel tank (one of my favorite mods)
E-Locker in the front axle
Complete skid plate
York OBA system
Transgo Jr. shift kit for Allison (firms up the 3-4 shift and helps it hold up to the programmer)
PPE Hot Race 2+ (I think that is all of the names it has) programmer, set on 90hp for mileage (added about 2 mpg)
Merchant Automotive T-Case support/saver
Merchant Automotive T-Case oil pump rub solution

I think that covers most everything I have done that isn't visible from the outside. Currently sitting at 123k miles. I've done some trips lately, just haven't had time to write anything up and I've been busy getting the Jeep done.

Thanks for looking and hopefully my build/experiences help you out. Don't hesitate to ask about anything I've done or why.

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
It's so hard to argue against extra fuel.

Nice work Jack :)

No kidding, if I had a rear bumper tire carrier like Jereme, I would seriously be looking at the Titan spare tire fuel tank system. As it is now, I filled it up, did over 400 miles up to the Black Rock and back and still drove it around for two weeks (wife drive to and from work for a week straight, including some trailer pulling time) before I had to put fuel in it. I would do the extra large fuel tank again any day of the week, money well spent.

The Jeep will be getting a larger fuel tank as well.

Thank you,

Jack

josephbradshaw7

Jack, thanks for the reply. I got the aero tank a few months back and it is a much needed upgrade. Ive been working on the front suspension and appreciate the advice on the steering. I was on the fence on the cognito support but it seems to be the way to go. Where did you get the bumper and rock sliders? What is the pump rub I keep hearing about? Ive only had the dmax since feb so still learning. 06 with 22k miles on it! Scored. I want to turn this into a overland machine but its gonna take a while. Any advice is appreciated. Headed to lake crowley tomorrow to hopefully do some testing.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Jack, thanks for the reply. I got the aero tank a few months back and it is a much needed upgrade. Ive been working on the front suspension and appreciate the advice on the steering. I was on the fence on the cognito support but it seems to be the way to go. Where did you get the bumper and rock sliders? What is the pump rub I keep hearing about? Ive only had the dmax since feb so still learning. 06 with 22k miles on it! Scored. I want to turn this into a overland machine but its gonna take a while. Any advice is appreciated. Headed to lake crowley tomorrow to hopefully do some testing.

The bumper is a Buckstop. The fit is absolutely perfect, I couldn't believe how well everything was designed and manufactured. It's heavy and I really wanted the aluminum version, but Buckstop was having some issues with them holding up to heavy winching. They decided to pull them off of the market and when I ordered mine, they were in no hurry to get the re-design done. They were selling every bumper they were making and the aluminum just wasn't a high priority. Not sure if they are making the aluminum versions again.

If you look back through the build, you will see that my wife and I built the rock sliders and I explained the long version of the pump rub problem. The short version is that the oil pump located in the rear of the t-case rubs a hole in the t-case and all of your fluid leaks out and that causes the t-case to go boom.

22k!! that is amazing, what a score. You will never wear that truck out.

Jack

surlydiesel

Adventurer
"Before we had a failure in the back country, I decided to get proactive against any breakage. Off came the factory steering and on went the DMax Store's Kryptonite steering upgrade with Cognito Steering Support system. Replaced the pitman arm and idler arm as well. So the complete steering system has been replaced/upgraded."

Um. The side by side comparison is really kinda scary. The stock parts look so under built.

Nice Job!

-jorge

josephbradshaw7

Well the steering is coming off then. Looks like a burly setup and with what I have planned with this truck, it will need it.

Just had its first off road outing and I give it mixed reviews. The front suspension with the icon UCAs and bilstiens was good. Probably needs 2.5 like jack has! The back is a nightmare! Im used to a hooked up tundra and I set my expectations low with that in mind but the rear on this truck is bad. I wasnt weighted down much which would of helped im sure. Jack, how is it with the fwc on there? Its gotta help but are you happy with the stock leafs? It got me thinking about calling Deaver for a custom pack? I dont load the bed heavy much, hopefully a fwc in the near future, and if I do load it I could stiffen it up with the airbags. My thought is get the fwc, test it, if its no good still get the deaver pack and 2.5? It will still tow great with a little softer rear end.

Also, I had some funny downshifting at about 31 or 32 mph. I think it was going from 4th gear down to 3rd gear when I had completely let off the gas and was lightly applying the brakes. Every once in awhile at that speed it would downshift hard. Hard enough for my wife to ask me if that was normal. Has anybody experienced this before? I checked the tranny dipstick since my transmission had finally reached 180 degrees, which is the first time it's ever done that it seems like, and the fluid was just below the lower hash marks on the hot side. I added some fluid and brought it into spec which seemed to help but I still thought I vaguely felt it?

Priority list:
Install the kenedy lift pump.
Replace steering setup.
FWC hawk (keep an eye out!)
2.5 shocks all around.
More research on this pump rub thing.

Thanks for all the help!

Joey

NO particular order from here:
Deavers?
Rock sliders.
Front bumper.
Rear bumper with tire swing out.
Titan spare tire fuel!

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
I have an '02 and it will occasionally down shift harder than normal for what seems to be no reason. I don't think mine does it at those speeds though, generally when I'm getting ready to stop. Mine will also really slam hard into 1st when I'm wheeling in 4-lo and I brake going down hill. It's the grade assist braking for sure, I'm not even in tow/haul when this happens. I wish there were a way to turn it off when in 4-lo. I've had mine since it was a year old and had 20,000+ miles on it. It doesn't seem to hurt it after all of these years and I've really put it through it's paces.
Well the steering is coming off then. Looks like a burly setup and with what I have planned with this truck, it will need it.

Just had its first off road outing and I give it mixed reviews. The front suspension with the icon UCAs and bilstiens was good. Probably needs 2.5 like jack has! The back is a nightmare! Im used to a hooked up tundra and I set my expectations low with that in mind but the rear on this truck is bad. I wasnt weighted down much which would of helped im sure. Jack, how is it with the fwc on there? Its gotta help but are you happy with the stock leafs? It got me thinking about calling Deaver for a custom pack? I dont load the bed heavy much, hopefully a fwc in the near future, and if I do load it I could stiffen it up with the airbags. My thought is get the fwc, test it, if its no good still get the deaver pack and 2.5? It will still tow great with a little softer rear end.

Also, I had some funny downshifting at about 31 or 32 mph. I think it was going from 4th gear down to 3rd gear when I had completely let off the gas and was lightly applying the brakes. Every once in awhile at that speed it would downshift hard. Hard enough for my wife to ask me if that was normal. Has anybody experienced this before? I checked the tranny dipstick since my transmission had finally reached 180 degrees, which is the first time it's ever done that it seems like, and the fluid was just below the lower hash marks on the hot side. I added some fluid and brought it into spec which seemed to help but I still thought I vaguely felt it?

Priority list:
Replace steering setup.
2.5 shocks all around.

Thanks for all the help!

Joey

Deavers?
Rock sliders.
Front bumper.
Titan spare tire fuel!

locrwln

Expedition Leader

Priority list:
Replace steering setup.
2.5 shocks all around.

Thanks for all the help!

Joey

Deavers?
Rock sliders.
Front bumper.
Titan spare tire fuel!

The stock rear springs (4 leaf with the overload) weren't bad, at least for a leaf spring truck and compared to my Tacoma, but they were quickly overloaded for my uses. I upgraded to a set of 3500 springs (5 leaf with overload) and I like them much better. The ride is a little harsher, but worth it for me. They work very well for me and have in a wide variety of terrain, use and loads.

Yeah, they do shift a little harder than most other autos in my experience and I have learned to shift into low range only when I need it. It holds whatever gear for a really long time while in 4low and of course shift very solid. The good thing is that the engine has plenty of torque so low range isn't needed that much either. And as you have learned they are sensitive to fluid level. Mine runs hotter than I like since I "upgraded" my leaking stock cooler lines to the Alligator Performance lines. Like you, when it was stock, it ran extremely cool. I installed the Alligator lines and my temperatures run 20 degrees or so higher under the same conditions. I installed the PPE larger cooler and heat wrapped the cooler lines, which helped a little, but I'm still not happy with the temps. The stock lines had plenty of air between the tranny/motor during their travel to the radiator/cooler, the Alligator lines are huge and lie right next to the motor and I think become heat soaked. I just haven't had the time or energy to address them yet. Not sure what I'm going to do.

Sounds like a good list(s). They are really underrated and underestimated for backcountry travel. I love this truck. Just drove it to San Francisco and into the city this past weekend (averaged 19.5 mpg doing ~80 mph) and did several hundred miles of backcountry travel in last few months, not to mention just being daily drivable, makes for a great combination/platform.

Oh ya.
Skid plate! I need your set up jack! What does that e locker go for?

Yeah the skid plate is an incredible piece of work, too bad they were too costly when they were being made and due to low sales, they stopped.

I got a little bit of a deal on buying the locker and the local shop found some suspect bearings in the front diff, so it cost a little more for the install, but it has saved me more than enough times to be worth it.

I have an '02 and it will occasionally down shift harder than normal for what seems to be no reason. I don't think mine does it at those speeds though, generally when I'm getting ready to stop. Mine will also really slam hard into 1st when I'm wheeling in 4-lo and I brake going down hill. It's the grade assist braking for sure, I'm not even in tow/haul when this happens. I wish there were a way to turn it off when in 4-lo. I've had mine since it was a year old and had 20,000+ miles on it. It doesn't seem to hurt it after all of these years and I've really put it through it's paces.

^^What he said. Mine acts the same. Just the nature of the beast I've learned.

Jack

1stDeuce

Explorer
Jack, you've been using this truck without much of an update for 2 or more years now... You must be getting itchy about what your next project will be... :)

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Jack, you've been using this truck without much of an update for 2 or more years now... You must be getting itchy about what your next project will be... :)

You either know Jack personally or his online reputation fits... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier