Jack's 2007 Chevy Build

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Here are the lousy 4Runner pictures. Still not very good shots. Has rear discs. Sorry about the crookedness!
View attachment 359669View attachment 359670
I have not resigned up with Pirate since the new password fiasco.
3 new passwords and none work! Piss on them!

Sorry, I missed your post. I'm still working on the 4Runner and have the front axle installed. It took about 8 tries to get the front springs right...

I made it through the great password debacle on Pirate, but I know of several people who didn't.

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
For those that are still paying attention, I have ran Nitto Terra Grapplers on the truck since the first tire change. I ran through the first set and made it about 30k using it like I do. I never had a cut/chunk/rip or flat with them. When those wore out, I replaced them with the "new and improved" G2 versions. Let's just say, they have not been an improvement at all. I have gone through three of them (two on the same trip/Coyote Flats), had a flat on another and pretty much chunked them every time I went out. My last sidewall cut was on the north shore of Mono Lake when I was coming back from picking up my new to me camper. I went back to Discount Tire and ordered some Cooper STT Maxx's in my favorite size of 285/75/R17's. Got them mounted to other day:

IMG_1515-XL.jpg

I have only driven them from the tire store to home, but so far I like them. We will see how they treat me long term.
Here is the new to me camper:
2006 Sun-Lite
IMG_1473-XL.jpg

IMG_1475-XL.jpg

And of course, where the last sidewall cut happened.
IMG_1481-XL.jpg

Haven't had a chance to take it out for a real test and no I haven't gotten rid of the FWC, this is one is for the less adventurous travels.
Jack

rayra

Expedition Leader
Funny thing is that I am sure that the Majority of ppl on here don't like Pricks... but you don't see them bashing you! If you were a true enthusiast. You could find the positives and negatives in every vehicle.

I could bash him a little. Stupid fanboy / brand warz BS. AND the threadcrapping.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Like that you added another camper to your stable Jack.

Love that you are trying the S/T MAXX in 285/75R17! ;)

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Like that you added another camper to your stable Jack.

Love that you are trying the S/T MAXX in 285/75R17! ;)

Me too, now I just need to find time to use it. Thinking it might be December.
I am amazed at how quiet they are, although you can hear the lugs on corners. I drove it down to the Summit to meet some friends for dinner. I think I am going to have to go back to Discount as the left rear tire is hopping. When they installed them, they aired them up to 80psi. I lowered them to my usual 45 psi (empty). I didn't notice any unbalance on the drive home, but even Darcie sitting in the passenger seat, noted the rear hop before I said anything on the drive to and from dinner, so it is that noticeable.

Sun Lite looks great on the D-Max Jack!
Thank you. We had to clean it to our specifications, but we are looking forward to getting to use it.
Jack

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I am amazed at how quiet they are, although you can hear the lugs on corners. I drove it down to the Summit to meet some friends for dinner. I think I am going to have to go back to Discount as the left rear tire is hopping. When they installed them, they aired them up to 80psi. I lowered them to my usual 45 psi (empty). I didn't notice any unbalance on the drive home, but even Darcie sitting in the passenger seat, noted the rear hop before I said anything on the drive to and from dinner, so it is that noticeable.

Jack

I had my set "static" balanced, and the worst one took a mere 3.75 ounces (on OE forged Power Wagon wheels). Feel smooth up to 80+ thus far (Centramatics are not mounted at the moment).

justcuz

Explorer
^justcuz, great to see your avatar pic (I just ran into it here in Jack's thread). Not sure where you found it but that's my truck made up as a bday cake (my 40th) courtesy of my gf. The kid in the pic is my buddy's son. I have some of those pics in my build thread :)

I have spent some time following your Pathfinder build up, I may have uploaded from your thread. I saw it and thought "how cool is that!" And showed it to my wife. She is quite the baker and was very impressed as well. Tell your girlfriend she has fans!

justcuz

Explorer
Me too, now I just need to find time to use it. Thinking it might be December.
I am amazed at how quiet they are, although you can hear the lugs on corners. I drove it down to the Summit to meet some friends for dinner. I think I am going to have to go back to Discount as the left rear tire is hopping. When they installed them, they aired them up to 80psi. I lowered them to my usual 45 psi (empty). I didn't notice any unbalance on the drive home, but even Darcie sitting in the passenger seat, noted the rear hop before I said anything on the drive to and from dinner, so it is that

Jack

Jack,

We had a flat on a buddy's F350, the spare was only inflated to about 40 lbs. When we installed the spare it hopped and acted funny too, once we inflated it to around 65ibs it smoothed out. Don't remember what tires he had, but I think they were Coopers.
Actually going to his place for dinner tonight so I will report back on the tire brand.

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Jack,

We had a flat on a buddy's F350, the spare was only inflated to about 40 lbs. When we installed the spare it hopped and acted funny too, once we inflated it to around 65ibs it smoothed out. Don't remember what tires he had, but I think they were Coopers.
Actually going to his place for dinner tonight so I will report back on the tire brand.

That's interesting that they would be that sensitive to pressure on whether or not they feel unbalanced.

Jack

justcuz

Explorer
I felt the same way, pressure should have little to do with it. I can't imagine you would get any kind of belt squirm or deflection on a new tire. Maybe do a search and see if folks are reporting any issues.

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Well the good news is that it wasn't serious. I took it back down to Discount and asked them to roadforce balance the rear tires, especially the left rear as that is the one that felt the most out of whack. Turns out it had thrown the balance weight off at some point. It was 3.50oz out of balance. They re-balanced them and all is good.

Jack

justcuz

Explorer
Good to know, my wife had the same thing happen on the Suburban. She knew the minute she left the tire store something was wrong, went back and the shop manager came out and apologized. Said they had misbalanced one of the tires and were fixing it now
The F350 has Cooper Discoverer HT3's on it.

TCICapn

Great looking truck and build Jack! I appreciate the focus on improving the truck's reliability and capability without the extra "flashy" stuff that some get caught up in. I am wrestling with form over function on my own build ('11 Sierra 1500) and was hoping you could give me some feedback.

I am trying to decide between going with your favorite tire size 285/75R17 and going to a 35/12.50R17. Specifically there are three contenders for my next set of tires: Toyo ATII in 285/75, Cooper S/T Maxx in 285/75, or BFG KO2 in 35/12.50.

Now that you've had the Coopers for a while how do you like them on and off road in varied conditions? Also if you don't mind, can you tell me how tall they are mounted on the truck? Thanks for any feedback you're willing to share.

Also, any new adventures since your last post?

-Kyle

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Jack,
While I'm not a GM man, and am only interested in components, not 'the look', I do appreciate a good build. We live off Hwy. 20 east of Nevada City, about 60 miles due west of you. I sense a parallel pattern here with the choice of rigs over time, only I'm about 30 years older than you appear to be. Of the 14, 4WD's we've owned a few were:
1970 FJ-55/GM307/Hone O.D./Warn 8274/Power Loc/53 gallon gas tank/ConFer Toyota Jeep Trailer: Baja proven over and over again.

1982 Jeep Scrambler. Only the rear tub and part of the frame were original:NP435, 4.4L, I-6, ARB;s/4.88's, 37's, 4:1's, Dana 44/chromoly, Dana 60/Mosiers, welder, etc.

We finally settled on a hard side truck camper for 'touring', off-road, and long term travel, now that we can: incidentally coming down the other way at Mengel Pass. It looks a lot different than your trip over this same piece of real estate.

I like the way you have your choice of domiciles. Either for rough country or traveling. I was impressed by the almost complete lack of frame flex in the short vid you posted. My bro's '99 Ford F250 has a LOT if frame flex. Have you concerned yourself with a pivoting sub frame for between the truck frame and the camper? If you are going to go to a flatbed, it sounds like a good time to make that work.
Again, thanks for the ride: all 48 pages of it.
jefe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier