Jack's 2007 Chevy Build

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Jack, you've been using this truck without much of an update for 2 or more years now... You must be getting itchy about what your next project will be... :)

That's pretty much been the deal. Just using it. Doing my oil changes and driving it. I've put almost 70k miles on it since buying it and it's been in most of the states west of the Mississippi. I got a little tied up with my LJ for building and that took all of my building energy. :sombrero:

Someone made me an offer for the jeep that I couldn't refuse, so I sold it. I did pick up an '88 4Runner that I was going to build into a rockcrawler, then I found an '85 4Runner (with a swapped in 22RTE), so I now have two 1st gen 4Runners...

Going to sell the '88 and go forward on the '85. Much too extreme for any kind of expedition type use. It's getting tons on 40's. Just wrapping up some other little projects (house and the '88 4Runner) and then the '85 will go under the knife.

You either know Jack personally or his online reputation fits... ;)

Pot, meet Mr. Kettle... How many ongoing projects do you have going??? :victory:

I have to stop by one of these days and check out the truck for your latest and continuing mods.

Or... Maybe he is totally content...

For the most part, that's been it. I did replace the seat leather and cushion on the driver's side and did another injector cleaning service, but other than that, just using it for really pretty much everything. It's so comfortable to drive and works so well, I haven't felt the need to do anything else.

Jack

1stDeuce

Explorer
Hahah. I should have know that you and Redline would know each other... Glad to hear your truck is working out!

My "build" thread hasn't seen much activity either. I think about the only mod I've done to my truck in the last two years is changing out the t-case shifter knob. I just realized that I haven't changed the oil lately so I checked. 10k miles on it. Oops. The miles just keep rolling by, sometimes faster than I think!! I switched to running a gallon of T6 and the rest as standard Rotella because I keep running over the intended miles between changes. Figure a little synthetic is good for it. Still changing it before the factory oil life reminder tells me to, so i don't feel too bad. It uses so little oil I don't even bother to check the level between changes, just look for leaks or smoke out the tailpipe. :)

Have fun with your 4-runner!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Pot, meet Mr. Kettle... How many ongoing projects do you have going??? :victory:

I have to stop by one of these days and check out the truck for your latest and continuing mods.

Jack

Of course you're right Jack, because we both know who we are... ;)

Yep, the Ram is coming along, not 'quite' as built as the Tundra but I love operating it and it should be 'enough' when finished. I've had a break from the installation frenzy of April/May, but will get after it again in August with a few more parts.

I need to check out the 4Runner crawler project, sounds cool!

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Hahah. I should have know that you and Redline would know each other... Glad to hear your truck is working out!

My "build" thread hasn't seen much activity either. I think about the only mod I've done to my truck in the last two years is changing out the t-case shifter knob. I just realized that I haven't changed the oil lately so I checked. 10k miles on it. Oops. The miles just keep rolling by, sometimes faster than I think!! I switched to running a gallon of T6 and the rest as standard Rotella because I keep running over the intended miles between changes. Figure a little synthetic is good for it. Still changing it before the factory oil life reminder tells me to, so i don't feel too bad. It uses so little oil I don't even bother to check the level between changes, just look for leaks or smoke out the tailpipe. :)

Have fun with your 4-runner!

Nothing wrong with just using your truck. I think that says a lot about them when you don't feel the need to keep doing things to them and can just enjoy/use them. Mine isn't using any oil between changes, so like you, I barely even bother checking it anymore, which I know is a bad habit, but so far so good.

I hope to have some fun with it.

Of course you're right Jack, because we both know who we are... ;)

Yep, the Ram is coming along, not 'quite' as built as the Tundra but I love operating it and it should be 'enough' when finished. I've had a break from the installation frenzy of April/May, but will get after it again in August with a few more parts.

I need to check out the 4Runner crawler project, sounds cool!

Nothing wrong with that. If it works, why continue to work on it when you can be out using it.

I'll let you know when I get started. It should be pretty cool. I already have a name for it. CBuTT = Crapbox Toyota on Tons. :wings:

I probably won't get into it too much for another month or so. I am building new cabinets/boxes for the camper and with my carpentry skills, I need all of the time and concentration I can get.

Jack

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'll let you know when I get started. It should be pretty cool. I already have a name for it. CBuTT = Crapbox Toyota on Tons. :wings:

I probably won't get into it too much for another month or so. I am building new cabinets/boxes for the camper and with my carpentry skills, I need all of the time and concentration I can get.

Jack

Very cool, looking forward to both.

4 adults, two dogs, chevy truck and a fwc summit Mt. Patterson in the Sweetwater Mountain Range.

My wife, me and my in-laws headed down to Bridgeport, CA for some camping and whatever else we could find over Labor Day Weekend. We camped at Buckeye Campground, the in-laws brought their travel trailer. We arrived on Saturday and took our time and after lunch we hopped in my truck and headed over to Bodie. It had been almost 40 years since my in-laws had been to Bodie. We took some photos and walked around and marveled at the tenacity and ingenuity of the residents.

We headed back to camp and that wrapped up Saturday. We had planned on heading into the Sweetwater range and shooting for the summit on Sunday.

We got up on Sunday and made our way north. Turning northeast off of US395 at Burcham Flat road we started the climb. I aired down and away we went. I had never came in from the south side, so it took a little map reading and discussion to find the right road. My in-laws had never been to the summit and it had been over three years for my wife and I.

Hey, I have those same pics!!!

I have to ask, how do you like wheeling in the full size vs the FJ80? I have been a full size truck fan since I was a kid (I have 3 Chevys a Ford and a Dodge right now).

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Jack,

Have you had the driveline slip yoke clunk issue yet? Mine started clunking out of the blue today. Thought my t-case was shot at first, but I am pretty sure it's the slip yoke.

Thx,

Brad

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Hey, I have those same pics!!!

I have to ask, how do you like wheeling in the full size vs the FJ80? I have been a full size truck fan since I was a kid (I have 3 Chevys a Ford and a Dodge right now).

The 80 had a more comfortable ride off road, with the Slee suspension/OME shocks, I didn't have to worry as much about the harder impacts, it just took it. The Chevy has limited front travel and on the small stuff, it is better, but the bigger hits, hit harder. As far as fitting on the trails I take it on...not really that much difference on the width, the height (with the camper) causes me to have to choose some different lines and sometimes break out the loppers/bow saw. I probably wouldn't take the truck on some of the southern Utah trails (hole in the wall) that I took the 80, but overall, I much prefer the truck. I have waaay more power, better mileage and overall just a better driving vehicle.

Pin stripes are growing for sure, I just added a nasty one on the passenger side this last weekend in my travels through Central Nevada. We were in the pinion pines and one of the limbs got me. :sombrero:

Jack,

Have you had the driveline slip yoke clunk issue yet? Mine started clunking out of the blue today. Thought my t-case was shot at first, but I am pretty sure it's the slip yoke.

Thx,

Brad

I have not. Mine is still "clunk" free. I wonder if my having an extra leaf (3500 springs) has any impact on that? Speaking of which, it's time for new spring rub pads, some of mine have worn out and are gone, so I am getting some spring "slap." And of course removing and working on heavy leaf springs is a whole lot of fun...:wings: By the way, just went over 142k miles and it is the original driveshaft. How many miles are on yours again? Also, mine is a one piece steel shaft, not sure how yours is set up being a crewcab.
Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Under 50k miles. Aluminum driveshaft.

Do you think the 45k ish miles with the lift had an effect and caused the premature wear/problem? Just spitballing for why you are experiencing it and I have almost triple your mileage with no symptoms...

Jack

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Do you think the 45k ish miles with the lift had an effect and caused the premature wear/problem? Just spitballing for why you are experiencing it and I have almost triple your mileage with no symptoms...

Jack

Could be. Doesn't appear that the driveshaft was lengthened when it was lifted, so that would cause the slip yoke to be pulled out further. That in turn would decrease spline contact. Gonna pull it later and grease the splines and see if that helps.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I am looking forward to seeing what else you do to your fine:drool: rig Iocrwin...:Wow1:

Thank you for the compliment. Probably, my next mod will be a flatbed (going to be a while before that happens). I want to put a flatbed camper on it. The FWC has been a great camper and we have gotten a ton of use out of it, but we are getting ready for the next version.
Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94