my brothers Land Rover Ford Excursion thing

evilram

So.. I'm posting this for my brother. Hopefully I can get him on here so he can start taking credit for this madness. It looks pretty cool in person, but he needs some pointers from you all... The rest is his wording:
-----------------------------
thought you'd enjoy seeing my latest project. I needed some therapy so I took it out on two of my vehicles. I've “harvested” pieces from my Land Rover Discovery including it's brush bar and roof.

I took the brush bar and welded sleeved plugs to widen it for the excursion…

untitled.jpg

We've had two “high –top” conversion vans over the years and we really like them.

I've seen a few attempts to create similar conversions with Ford Excursions over the years but they just didn't look right. They didn't capture the spirit of a rugged truck combined with the spacious and luxurious benefits of a high-top conversion.

I cut off the roof of the Land Rover and fixed it up to fit on the top of the Excursion. Then, I cut a 7'X4' hole on the Excursion between the luggage supports for added support. What's amazing about the marriage of these two pieces is that the Land Rover roof is an independent structure which is fully framed for strength and tough as a tank. It also has lots of Aluminum to save weight. As for the Excursion, all of it's structure (much like a van) is around the perimeter of the roof.

If you think about it, the roof is the most distinctive and attractive part of the Land Rover. I've got the best of both vehicles!

I couldn't be happier with how this turned out!

mikesexcursion2.jpg

mikesexcursion.jpg

Another great addition to this project is a luggage rack that was given to me by the owner of my company. He had it for his Rover but didn't like it because of the vibrations and noise that it causes on that vehicle. I've tried it on our Rover and he's right! But with the larger size and weight of the Excursion there's no vibration and little additional noise. I can't wait to put some lights on it!

mikesexcursion3.jpg

mikesexcursion4.jpg

So far, the only significant expense has been about $325 for painting the Rover roof which, ironically is what they paid me at the salvage yard for the old Rover.

I'd say the old Rover has given something nice to remember her!

I hope you get a kick out of this. Future efforts will be to create a pop-up tent for it. I designed the roof to be able to easily jack up with ratcheting poles and then quickly (and securely) retract and look like a luxury conversion SUV again.

This will give you some idea even though it's not elevated very far….

mikesexcursion5.jpg

mikesexcursion6.jpg

Here is an example of pop-up tents to help you visualize what this will look like. Mine will have a cab-over element as well as a lifted hard top similar to this.

3.jpg

It just goes to show you, a little madness can go a long way!

4.jpg

The interior has much more headroom now and the effect is awesome. I still have interior work and wiring to do so I don't have any pictures that do it justice.

My biggest challenge is just finding time to do those things. At the rate I'm going it may be awhile before its all done. But that's ok. It gives me a little something to look forward to.

This is an old picture. Its cleaned up much more now…

6.jpg

OTR

Adventurer
Sweet and interesting at the same time. Was the Disco totaled or something??? Is he planning at sleeping platform of some sort like the one in a Sportsmobile??

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
So.. I'm posting this for my brother. Hopefully I can get him on here so he can start taking credit for this madness. It looks pretty cool in person, but he needs some pointers from you all... The rest is his wording:
-----------------------------
thought you’d enjoy seeing my latest project. I needed some therapy so I took it out on two of my vehicles. I’ve “harvested” pieces from my Land Rover Discovery including it’s brush bar and roof.

I took the brush bar and welded sleeved plugs to widen it for the excursion…

untitled.jpg

We’ve had two “high –top” conversion vans over the years and we really like them.

I’ve seen a few attempts to create similar conversions with Ford Excursions over the years but they just didn’t look right. They didn’t capture the spirit of a rugged truck combined with the spacious and luxurious benefits of a high-top conversion.

I cut off the roof of the Land Rover and fixed it up to fit on the top of the Excursion. Then, I cut a 7’X4’ hole on the Excursion between the luggage supports for added support. What’s amazing about the marriage of these two pieces is that the Land Rover roof is an independent structure which is fully framed for strength and tough as a tank. It also has lots of Aluminum to save weight. As for the Excursion, all of it’s structure (much like a van) is around the perimeter of the roof.

If you think about it, the roof is the most distinctive and attractive part of the Land Rover. I’ve got the best of both vehicles!

I couldn’t be happier with how this turned out!

mikesexcursion2.jpg

mikesexcursion.jpg

Another great addition to this project is a luggage rack that was given to me by the owner of my company. He had it for his Rover but didn’t like it because of the vibrations and noise that it causes on that vehicle. I’ve tried it on our Rover and he’s right! But with the larger size and weight of the Excursion there’s no vibration and little additional noise. I can’t wait to put some lights on it!

mikesexcursion3.jpg

mikesexcursion4.jpg

So far, the only significant expense has been about $325 for painting the Rover roof which, ironically is what they paid me at the salvage yard for the old Rover.

I’d say the old Rover has given something nice to remember her!

I hope you get a kick out of this. Future efforts will be to create a pop-up tent for it. I designed the roof to be able to easily jack up with ratcheting poles and then quickly (and securely) retract and look like a luxury conversion SUV again.

This will give you some idea even though it’s not elevated very far….

mikesexcursion5.jpg

mikesexcursion6.jpg

Here is an example of pop-up tents to help you visualize what this will look like. Mine will have a cab-over element as well as a lifted hard top similar to this.

3.jpg

It just goes to show you, a little madness can go a long way!

4.jpg

The interior has much more headroom now and the effect is awesome. I still have interior work and wiring to do so I don’t have any pictures that do it justice.

My biggest challenge is just finding time to do those things. At the rate I’m going it may be awhile before its all done. But that’s ok. It gives me a little something to look forward to.

This is an old picture. Its cleaned up much more now…

6.jpg

Wow, that is a radical conversion. It looks like you are quite good at fabricating. Nice job, but I hate to see what the Land Rover looks like now....:Wow1:

Harald Hansen

Explorer
I have to say, that doesn't look bad at all!

(PS: Chilliwak, did you really have to quote all the pictures and text from the original post? Here, have a coffee: :coffee: )

Viggen

Just here...
Thats actually pretty cool. One problem is you just introduced one of the most common Disco problems, leaking sunroofs. Keep them sealed shut and youll be cool. I like it and it does look pretty cool.

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
I always wanted to see a SMB penthouse on the Ex, but I think I like your version better. I like the skylights. Looks great. Good job on piecing it together.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Wow, I'm shocked at how good that turned out. It almost looks like a factory option... it does look like it could be a professional conversion job. Is he planning to make the sunroofs functional? That would be icing on the cake... :D

evilram

Wow, I'm shocked at how good that turned out. It almost looks like a factory option... it does look like it could be a professional conversion job. Is he planning to make the sunroofs functional? That would be icing on the cake... :D

I'll let him know guys. And yes, the sunroofs are going to be functional. Part of that is my responsibility.

Also, the reason he has this is the other LR was destroyed thanks to my wonderful niece destroying the motor via massive overheating. We had just installed an ARB bumper amongst other goodies. So, he essentially had a shell that was just going to waste.

I'll get him on here as soon as I can so that he can start taking credit for this. I must admit I wanted nothing to do with this when he first conjured up the insanity and am truly sad I wasn't there for the start of it all.

Naked_emperor

Thanks Bro

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your warm response to my conversion Excursion. My Brother has introduced me to your wonderful community and I'm excited to participate. Dave (evilram) has the heart of an expedition adventurer if anyone does.
I'll be posting more regarding this project soon and I warmly invite you to contribute your knowledge and experience.
Blessings,
Mike
PS If 4Rescue Dave is any indication of skillsets in your community I've found a new home. I'm heading to Wilderness EMT training next month and I'm Psyched!

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Coolness!!!

Doubtlessly some of the Land Rover Faithful will gnash their teeth at this conversion and perhaps even put a contract out on your rig :bike_rider:

But, for me, I think that is extremely creative engineering. Very, very impressive job. Keep us posted with more pics....

evilram

Doubtlessly some of the Land Rover Faithful will gnash their teeth at this conversion and perhaps even put a contract out on your rig :bike_rider:..

yah, that is true. Those Rover people are maniacs:ylsmoke:

I think the main thing that Naked Emporer (what the???? If only mom knew what kind of shinanigans you were up to... :sombrero:)

Mike, remind me to find the upholstery shop off of 64th and I'll grab their number.

So what we need advice on is really how to create a functional raising, lowering mechanicsm. I am thinking something off of a pop up camper.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Why not check out the ones over in the van section. CCV out of colorado just did a po top on a van and the lift mechanism he used may work...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94