S&S M1078 LMTV on Government Liquidation

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Somebody buy this thing and do a build thread so I can live vicariously through you:

30409373.jpg

1995 Stewart & Stevenson M1078 LMTV Cargo Truck, 2 1/2 ton capacity, powered by a Caterpiller diesel engine, automatic transmission, serial number AT2214DAGD, 1584 miles. Was driven in but batteries are dead now.

I saw one of these going down the road and was wondering what it was. At first glance it would appear to be a very competent platform, except I'm completely ignorant of them...

Any further information on these trucks and civlian use?

Good find!

irish_11

Explorer
Any information would be great. My roommate is looking for a tow rig and these come up on GL down at Ft. Lewis from time to time. I was thinking we could convert the bed to a flat bed hauler and he'd be good to go.

What are they like at freeway speeds? Can they handle driving a distance at them, or would that be a serious pain?

kerry

Expedition Leader
My guess is there is something profoundly wrong with it. Otherwise it would have not made it onto "Gov. slimeballs". I believe there is a current re-manufacture program for LMTV's going on, so if its not going back for re-work...there must be wopper of a problem with it (Besides the Allison MD7030).

But with the current bid of just under $25K and 2 days left on the auction...there are people that obviously think otherwise.

My thoughts exactly. Can the vehicles on Govt. Liquidation be inspected before bidding?

Hawkz

Adventurer
Yes, but not on short notice. They usually only do inspections the weds before auctions. At least that's how they do it in Illinois...

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
My guess is there is something profoundly wrong with it. Otherwise it would have not made it onto "Gov. slimeballs". I believe there is a current re-manufacture program for LMTV's going on, so if its not going back for re-work...there must be wopper of a problem with it (Besides the Allison MD7030).

But with the current bid of just under $25K and 2 days left on the auction...there are people that obviously think otherwise.
That's what I figure, too. The truck has to be bad enough that virtually every government agency doesn't want it for any reason.

Interestingly, though, the passage of time has resulted in a 6-figure price drop in the one S&S LMTV I know of that got into private hands non-surplus, the "Bad Boy":

HBBExtDS.jpg

It's now down to $150K at Creative Mobile Interiors, which is a fair chunk of money and twice what the truck many would think of as a competitor, a used U500, costs. But this has had a lot of high-quality custom work done, has low miles (it's been for sale for years), is one-of-a-kind and is ready to drive. And figure that it cost the taxpayers a whole lot more. It might not be out of the question as the basis for a camper with a really big cabin, very similar dimensionally to those Darrin Fink made out of his modified Fuso FMs.

And it's what you want to be driving in case of nuclear/biological/chemical attack, due to some special air system that Homeland Defense Vehicles, the company that CMI modified it for, installed. However, HDV's anticipated customer base much have been insufficiently paranoid, as I think the company went out of business about five years ago.

Interesting links here:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-02-14-truck_x.htm

http://creativemobileinteriors.com/sections/sale/BadBoy/BadBoyindex.asp.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Funny you shoud bring up the "Bad Boy" truck...

The "bad boyz" that bought that truck and a 6x6 from S&S were actually BAD BOYS and pulled one over on S&S (as to what they were planning to do with the trucks)...And left such a paste in S&S's mouth, they refused to sell any more to the public. A friend of mine keeps offering them "cubic" money for and they turning him down.

Another issue about the FMTV's is that they are designed to top out at 56MPH and to get them to go any faster...will take big bucks. I know this from driving cross country in my FMTV prototype. It was a loooooooooong trip!

That's the same speed that European commercial trucks are governed at. (90kph according to EGN I think) Does anyone know if the European military trucks are all governed at the same speed as their commercial versions?

4xdog

Explorer
Wow! Congratulations. A lot of us will be watching eagerly how this one works out for ya. Good luck!

badboy in ia

I plan to leave in original military config,have much more value as a collectors item if not altered,,I already have the turret assembly and a .50 cal mount adapt for my Barret 82a2..a must for driving in bad areas of town..to install the turret u just remove center seat and put in a gunners platform and take out the plug in the roof and intall your ring and gun mount assy..in this case off a humvee..also would be nice to put on up armor kit and ballistic glass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles