Best Bronco shocks. . . and where to buy them?

kjp1969

Explorer
I'm planning a suspension redo, starting with the front. I'm leaning towards a set of Superlift 1.5 "leveling springs" and will eventually run 33x10.5 or 32x11.5 tires. Question is, what shocks to use on the factory quad mounts? Bilstein 5100's are alternately described as "too stiff" or "the best." OME doesn't make a direct fit, but they tell me via email that "they can find something to fit."

Also, assuming I go with the 5100's, can anyone recommend a vendor? I would prefer to support Portal sponsors, if possible.

Any suggestions out there? I really want to do this once and do it right.

xracer144

Adventurer
I installed the Bilsteins shocks on my current e450 motorhome as well as my last e350 motorhome. The shocks performed very well in this application. Being impressed I installed a set on the front of my Nissan Armada, which I am equally impressed with. Unfortunately, Bilstein does not make a replacement set for the rear of the Armada and I chose to buy a set of Rancho's. The part number Rancho lists is not a direct replacement fit. The width of the top bushing was about 3/4" too narrow which would have allowed the shock to walk around on the top bolt without a considerable number of shims. The lower mounting bushing was about half the size it needed to be for the mounting bolt to fit through. Not a good fit, but one thing that really disappointed me was the fact that the damping in my 50,000 mile stock Nissan shocks was still more stout than the new Ranchos. Even if they did fit, I wouldn't have installed them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94