Where can I get these plastic barrels?

dinoevo

Adventurer
Hi,

I know many overlanders in Germany use this kind of large opening barrels as a travelling "washing machine". They put water and soap as well as the dirty cloth in it and store it for the day on the roof rack. After a long drive the cloth are clean :)

Any idea where I can find those or similar in NA?

Attachments

• 22210.jpg
    22210.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 38

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I know this is not what you asked for, but someone on here (sorry, can't remember who, so can't give credit) mentioned they use a dry bag. The type that river rafters and kayakers use to keep stuff dry. It has the advantage of taking up next-to no room when not in use.

Just a thought. I've never used either.

XJBANKER

Explorer
Just use a water cooler from home depot like the defender 110 in the first overland journal issue.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
I think that BucketBoss makes a cap that snaps onto a typical 5 gallon bucket that then has a screw top to seal the bucket.

gjackson

FRGS
Just use a water cooler from home depot like the defender 110 in the first overland journal issue.

Yes, the home depot water cooler worked perfectly. I was initially unsure if the lid would stay on as it is just a press fit, but we never had any issues with it. Just never use hot water as when it cools it will create a vacuum in the cooler making lid removal *very* difficult.

cheers

XJBANKER

Explorer
Yes, the home depot water cooler worked perfectly. I was initially unsure if the lid would stay on as it is just a press fit, but we never had any issues with it. Just never use hot water as when it cools it will create a vacuum in the cooler making lid removal *very* difficult.

cheers

I would assume that hot water was hard to come by driving across Africa. But was it hard to open after sitting in the sun all day on the roof in the heat?

dinoevo

Adventurer
I know this is not what you asked for, but someone on here (sorry, can't remember who, so can't give credit) mentioned they use a dry bag. The type that river rafters and kayakers use to keep stuff dry. It has the advantage of taking up next-to no room when not in use.

Just a thought. I've never used either.

That's a brilliant idea and so simple!! Will try that out for sure.

Thanks for all other replies

gjackson

FRGS
I would assume that hot water was hard to come by driving across Africa. But was it hard to open after sitting in the sun all day on the roof in the heat?

When we added hot water it was from the kelly kettle. Again, that didn't work well. It's the water cooling in the container that creates the suction. Heating from the sun on the roofrack didn't hurt the washing and never made it hard to open.

cheers

XJBANKER

Explorer
When we added hot water it was from the kelly kettle. Again, that didn't work well. It's the water cooling in the container that creates the suction. Heating from the sun on the roofrack didn't hurt the washing and never made it hard to open.

cheers

Got ya.

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
5 Gallon Bucket

Just buy a 5 gallon paint bucket from Home Depot, that's what I use for my on the road washing machine. It works great, cheap to operate! Just add water and soap. The sloshing around while driving actually does the washing, when I stop driving, I rinse and dry!

Marcie's Disco

Adventurer

cheers

I imagine if you were to push that little button on the drain, the pressure would equalize making the lid much easier to remove. :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles