Winter Pop-up Camper tips...

Tumbleweed

Adventurer
One tip for the cold temps on the propane tank is to duct tape a hand warmer or foot warmer to the tank. You can also wrap it with a blanket or other insulation. Seem to remember that it was not too bad until it got below about -05 or colder.

Prybry

Adventurer
90% of our trips are in sub-freezing temps.

I think I can help a bit to this topic.

For info about our camper, and just how simple it is, check out this thread.... http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34110

It doesnt take much to make it work in the cold.
This camper is what Id consider a fully functional test mule. Eventually Ill be building a camper to replace it.

Even with the temps lingering about 0-degrees F, one 20lb tank of propane will last us a while. T-stat is always set to 65 degrees.

7-10 days for the furnace, with limited entry and exit of the camper.
5-6 days with the furnace, and daily use of the stove. Traditionally ham and eggs w/ coffee for breakfast, and soup/chili and something hot to drink for dinners.

The tank is located outside of the heated camper, though it is well protected in it's own vented compartment. Never have I had a problem with it. Propane naturally looses energy as the temps drop, but it has never effected us enough to worry about.

The furnace and the stove are the only things that run on propane in our camper.

Condensation is always an issue, but has never been a real problem. We do have CRAPPY windows though. Single pane, with alum frames. Condensation city. And ti starts to build up into ice pretty quick. But Ive never worried about it. I just try to keep things away from it, and try to clear it as fast as it builds. Only real problem area is in the sleeping area. One section of the bed is right against the window, so the sheets like to freeze to the window. I just stay at least 6 inches away, and all is gravy.

QUOTE]

What a great rig! I wish my heater would work without power like that...
You gotta love bringing these old campers back to life:coffeedrink:

My LP tank is in a exterior compartment as well, but it only has a thin aluminum hatch on the outside so very little thermal protection.

I wouldn't even think of running my pressure water system since it uses a 7 gal jug hooked up to the outside of the camper... works great in any weather above freezing. I'll just set a 2 gal insulated water jug on the edge of the sink. I think the sink drain might freeze up so I'll take your idea of a sink pan as well.

thanks!

Prybry

Adventurer
What a great idea!

One tip for the cold temps on the propane tank is to duct tape a hand warmer or foot warmer to the tank. You can also wrap it with a blanket or other insulation. Seem to remember that it was not too bad until it got below about -05 or colder.

A couple of hand warmers tucked in the LP storage bin should easily keep the tank above zero... no concern of open flame either (I think?):campfire:

Thanks....

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Ive had my setup down to -15 or so. No ill effects to report.

Even with the compartment being isolated from the camper though, Im sure it is sucking up some heat.

sisu

Adventurer
Answers to your propane temperature issue. 90F=149psig, 60f=92psig, 30f=51 psig, 0f=24psig,-20f=11psig and finally we get to propane's boiling point -44 f and at -45f you have zero psig.

Prybry

Adventurer
I came up with a way to insulate the sides...

I came up with a method to give the side canvas tops a little more insulation...
I picked up two heavy weight moving blankets and added tarp "grabit" locks to each side of the roof...
So just before I pop the top up I will attach the blankets to each side of the roof. Then put the top up and pop the sides out... the blankets just lay over the top of the side canvas to add a dead air space. Should help keep a little more heat in and cut down on LP use... at least that's the idea.

I'll let you know how they work out...
Busy packing for the trip now...
Prybry

Attachments

• TarpArc438X494.jpg
    TarpArc438X494.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC05795.jpg
    DSC05795.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 133

Terrainist

Explorer
Prybry - that's a good idea with the tarp clips and the blankets. Might even be able to use a couple blankets if you wanted more insulation. I think you'll be pleased with your idea.

Edit: That's your camper in the pic? Helps a lot to see it, pretty neat set up. You can always drape a tarp over the top of the whole thing as well, that does help. Just tie it down good and don't cover any vents. Seal it up good with blankets on the interior walls like you said. You'll be toasty.

Last edited:

wannaby

Adventurer
Yes what kind of a popup is that like the side tip outs... got more picks inside and out please poet...oh and good idea on the clips where can I get some...Den

njtacoma

Explorer
reflective liners

I haven't used them yet, but read about them on pop up explorer and another pop up site, seemed to have good reviews.

Not a direct endorsement, as I don't have them yet, but will be ordering some this year. Not an employee of the company, owner, etc...

Prybry

Adventurer
I picked my clips up at Fleet Farm...

Yes what kind of a popup is that like the side tip outs... got more picks inside and out please poet...oh and good idea on the clips where can I get some...Den

I picked up my clips at Fleet Farm, but I'm guessing any farm or ranch supply would carry them.

Here are some pictures of the inside from an earlier posting...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14615&page=3ctures

My favorite part is the open floor plan and full height door!

Attachments

• IMGP1335.JPG
    IMGP1335.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 112

Lighthawk

cold weather camping

Well here in California we can only brag about camping down to 10F, which was over the Thanksgiving arctic blast. I have two rolls of 24" wide reflectix that I velcro in place (36" apart tabs) for my FWC pop up. There was ice between the reflectix and the vinyl, but the inside stayed toasty with the furnace running.

We found we used .5 gal per 12 hrs. of heating time using the 12k or 16k forced air furnace. Our bottle is 5 gals. so we can go for about a week, depending upon how many hours we run the heater.

Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles