Winter Pop-up Camper tips...

Prybry

Adventurer
I'm thinking about taking my Bethany pop-up camper up to Duluth to work road crossings at the John Beargrease sled dog marathon the end of January...

I've never used my camper in -20F weather... I've been in it at 20F and the heater works great. But -20 is a different story. My back up heat is a Buddy heater.

I'm looking for any tips regarding camping at these temps...
Main concerns are:
1) condensation build up
2) propane use (how long will the 20 lb tank last)
3) remote site requires a generator for power
4) cold effects on canvas (when it's time to pack it up)

Any tips or thoughts anybody can share?

Last edited:

Terrainist

Explorer
Not much to add, but a little bit regarding propane use. I would think the heater that came in your camper would run for long time on a 20 lb bottle, a couple weeks long. But I don't know about it's consumption.

Can you take your camper, set it up, fire up the furnace and leave it running for a few days to gauge the consumption by using a fillable 20 lb bottle? That might be the surest way no matter what anyone tells you... take the bottle and have it topped off (if it's not an exchange bottle, but one that you have filled) use the furnace for some days, then take it back to get filled and see how much it takes to fill it. I've been out of the propane loop for a number of years now and don't know if things are still done that way (filling vs. exchange, etc)

A thread regarding propane consumption in a pop-up camper. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29608&highlight=propane

jarmstrong

We havent used our truck pop up in extreme cold yet but did use our regular pop up several times and I can offer some info.We found the propane tank would last 4 nights running pretty steady and the bateries would last 2. I would imagine that the truck camper would be a little better since it has less canvas.The other thing we found was that the camper folded up much easier if put down when still warm.If you have access to a generator I would think it would help to use a small electric heater and also power lights which you use more in the winter since there is less daylight.We have also used an electric blanket to pre-warm the beds while running a generater.you can also use the electric power to run a Mr. Coffee and keep it in a thermos to further save propane.Have fun,winter camping can be a good time.Hope this helps.
Jerry

Prybry

Adventurer
Other thoughts...

I'm guessing the 20 lb bottle will be fine for a few days... I think it is a 12,000 btu forced air unit. So my calcs figure about 5 days running time. And I will use the Buddy heater for periods that I don't run the generator.

As for packing up the canvas... I figure I'll crank up the heat and get the inside roasting just before I drop the top, that way I minimize the stress on the canvas.

One point to note... The Bethany is more of a pop-up trailer style than a pop-up truck camper so more exposed canvas than normal.

Nothing I've read gives me a clue on how to deal with condensation issues...

jarmstrong

We have found on both our regular pop up and truck camper that if we leave the roof vent or a side window slightly open it helps cut down on moisture dripping on us.We do lose some heat this way but better than waking up with water dripping on your face.

Tumbleweed

Adventurer
Keep in mind that in below zero temps your propane may not function well.
You might have to come up with a way to warm the tank. We had some propane tanks on the Greenland icecap that had insulated covers that helped.
Just something to think about beforehand.

Prybry

Adventurer
Now I need a heater for my heater?

Keep in mind that in below zero temps your propane may not function well.
You might have to come up with a way to warm the tank. We had some propane tanks on the Greenland icecap that had insulated covers that helped.
Just something to think about beforehand.

Great, I hadn't thought about the cold effect on the LP tank... is the problem the tank or the regulator? I will have my Buddy heater for back up so I can use that to warm the tank storage area worst case...
I'll have to do some more research on cold and LP systems.

Prybry

Adventurer
Pre heating the camper before setup is a good idea...

My tip would be to bring more propane.
I’ve run out of propane too many times to risk it.

I can’t tell you how much you will use but for myself, in our FWC, I would be shocked to get 5 days (and nights) in –20F weather from a 20# bottle.
My old rule of thumb for sub-zero (Celsius) was 1 bottle for a weekend. In the past my backup was “we can just drive home”. In the future, if we ever winter camp again, I would bring a 1500w oil filled heater and a generator – although the noise might be too obtrusive for all but an emergency.

One thing to consider is how much time you will be in the camper but not sleeping. Naturally it many be acceptable to sleep in a cold air temperature but uncomfortable to sit around. This is when you will really burn through the gas.

I’ve never had a problem with the vinyl sides although the age of the vinyl may be a factor. I have recently noticed the material is stiffer in freezing weather than I remember (this only in the carport :rolleyes:) You might also want to warm up the inside before raising the roof – if that is possible.

For condensation we just use towels. The trick is finding a way to dry them between uses; clothes lines help.

Good luck and enjoy!.

I have a spare 20lb tank I could bring... sounds like a good idea.

As for pre heating the camper, thats a great idea... I could set the Buddy heater in the camper for a few minutes prior to setup. I was worried about the clear plastic vinyl windows cracking as I cranked the top up, but adding a little heat would do the trick.

Now I had a thought about making some thermal covers out of surplus wool blankets... cut and sew them to fit over each side tent. At least it would give a bit of dead air space between the heated inside and cold outside. I'd have to attach them to the top before I cranked it up, then they would just drape over and around the side canvas. I wouldn't worry about the bottom of the side wings... the 6" futon matresses would be enough insulation.

Prybry

Adventurer
Did you have any issues with LP?

We recently camped in -6 degree temps http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6057 and found that using Thermarest type self inflating, insulated sleeping pads placed around the pop up section worked wonders. It was a huge difference between the Reflectex material and the pads.

Did you have any issues with LP flow? Where is your LP tank stored in your SMB? Inside or Out?

Any problems with condensation buildup?

I like your thermal pad idea, but pretty hard to do on my rig... looking at thermal covers made from surplus wool blankets.

Saline

Adventurer
No problems with the LP, and it was even less than half full when we went camping. It's a 7 gallon tank mounted horizontally on the drivers side frame rail.

zidaro

Explorer
Ive only been in the 0-10 deg. range.
I concur with the est. 3-5 days max of heat with 20# tank. Youll be plenty warm, but will use fuel much quicker.

dont forget a broom to push the snow off your roof and sweep your canvas before up/down. Your canvas will be somewhat supple if your heating the inside.

towels for a quick condensation wipedown in the am work fine. Not sure beyond 4 days buildup. Open your camper during the sunny day to dry out.

lots of hot cocoa and schnapps. freezing water will be an issue if your out for a few days or more. leave some room in your containers to add boiling water to melt. Or bring in at night to have for next day.

a box or small tent to keep snowy/muddy clothes/shoes in outside and covered from snow- dont bring them in. The less moisture you bring in, the dryer your camper will be- like suggested above, a window open when cooking or hanging out (breathing friends).

geovalue

Adventurer
For camping in a pop up tent in freezing condition does result in condensation issues. We solved the problem of preventing any of the moisture getting on our bedding or ourselves by putting silver sunshields used for shading a window between the mattress and the wall of the tent. It is remarkable effective in adding insulation and preventing heat loose and keeping the inside dry. They are also firm so no need to fuss with how to keep them up, just jam them between the mattress and the wall. In the mornings we wipe the moisture up with a towel and hang the towel next to the heater during the day to dry. The shields can be stored flat under the mattress when not needed.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
90% of our trips are in sub-freezing temps.

I think I can help a bit to this topic.

For info about our camper, and just how simple it is, check out this thread.... http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34110

It doesnt take much to make it work in the cold.
This camper is what Id consider a fully functional test mule. Eventually Ill be building a camper to replace it.

Even with the temps lingering about 0-degrees F, one 20lb tank of propane will last us a while. T-stat is always set to 65 degrees.

7-10 days for the furnace, with limited entry and exit of the camper.
5-6 days with the furnace, and daily use of the stove. Traditionally ham and eggs w/ coffee for breakfast, and soup/chili and something hot to drink for dinners.

The tank is located outside of the heated camper, though it is well protected in it's own vented compartment. Never have I had a problem with it. Propane naturally looses energy as the temps drop, but it has never effected us enough to worry about.

The furnace and the stove are the only things that run on propane in our camper.

Condensation is always an issue, but has never been a real problem. We do have CRAPPY windows though. Single pane, with alum frames. Condensation city. And ti starts to build up into ice pretty quick. But Ive never worried about it. I just try to keep things away from it, and try to clear it as fast as it builds. Only real problem area is in the sleeping area. One section of the bed is right against the window, so the sheets like to freeze to the window. I just stay at least 6 inches away, and all is gravy.

We dont even chance the on-board water system in the cold, We pack 1-gallon jugs of water, and use small tubs in the sink to do dishes.

While not an Expedition, we did load it up for new-years. We made it up to Lookout Pass for a ski weekend.

Free RV parking in the parking lot. No more than 150 feet from the chair lift! :victory:

lookout2010.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles