Touring Bikes

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
what about the drop bar on the fargo? drop bars can't be too good in terms of control over rough terrain?
I just channel my inner Tomac and Jacquie Phelan. Both raced world cup XC on drop bars. :)

Jay nailed it. These Woodchipper 2 bars are wide, shallow, and offer ample leverage. Access to the brakes is a bit less than ideal, but I just ride downhills less aggressively than I do with strait bars. I think the drops on the Fargo are what really set it apart. I'd not ride that bike without those drops.

jgolden

Adventurer
Thanks for all the great feedback regarding the Fargo.
I think I would much prefer that bike over a traditional (700cc wheel) touring road bike for these reasons:
1. In planning a road tour, I will ALWAYS look for back country roads, dirt roads, etc to avoid cars and people (picture bikepacking/road touring combo)
2. Even though a skinny road tire is faster, I think a smooth High psi 29er would be more comfortable and versitile over long hauls with a variety of terrian.

Now I need to build one and plan a trip!!!!

Sirocco

Explorer
Thanks for all the great feedback regarding the Fargo.
I think I would much prefer that bike over a traditional (700cc wheel) touring road bike for these reasons:
1. In planning a road tour, I will ALWAYS look for back country roads, dirt roads, etc to avoid cars and people (picture bikepacking/road touring combo)
2. Even though a skinny road tire is faster, I think a smooth High psi 29er would be more comfortable and versitile over long hauls with a variety of terrian.

Now I need to build one and plan a trip!!!!

Sounds more like you need a Vaya than a Fargo then. gravel, dirt etc are what it was designed for and you can get 29 x 1.6 wide tires in there, you may even be able to stretch to Bontrager Jones 1.8s (I have read that its been done).

With a set of woodchippers it is stellar offroad. I have taken it over some rough stuff so, down flights of steps etc.

vaya.jpg

Here is mine with 5L bags in the anything cages, 8L bag on the bars, 9L bag under the seat and a revelate designs tangle bag. Forget the panniers.

G

mikejulietpapa

I have a Trek 520 and love it but sadly I think I'm going to be getting rid of it. I'm looking to get back into mountain biking and my wife doesn't really want more than 1 ride in the stable at a time. Well, truth be told, I don't have the space anyway for another bike (small space living).

I highly recommend the 520 though. It's comfortable, it's customizable, and in the couple of years (but low miles) I've had it, I have no complaints.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
this is my touring bike...
looking to upgrade to a 29er this or next year..

IMAG0185.jpg

Two-Wheeled Explorer

Proceeding on...
It's funny that the first look I've had at this thread is the same time that I am debating (in my head) whether to take my touring bike or my mountain bike with me up north this afternoon. I have to go up to the Chippewa National Forest for work, but I can't let a little thing like that stop me from taking a bike and fishing rods with me. Probably end up on the MTB since it will take me into places that I would likely have to push/carry the Bianchi through. Or I could just take the Pugsley...nah.

That being said, I do gravel with the Bianchi Volpe all the time. (I live in a rural area anyhow.) I have 700X35mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus tire on it and it came with a suspension seatpost. The Volcanic has WTB Nano 29er tires on it, and a RockShox XC32 100mm travel front end. I switched to the 29er about 2 years ago, and will never go back to the 26, and I'm not at all interested in the 27.5/650b.

It's time to get off this computer and ride to a nice fishing spot or two!

Have a great holiday weekend!
Hans

fullyLoaded.JPG

Two-Wheeled Explorer

Proceeding on...
Ended up taking the Volpe, and still got 8 ticks on me on a 1/2 mile off-pavement scouting jaunt. Yep, the snow season is over and the tick season is here in MN & WI.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles