Touring Bikes

Jay H

servicedriven.org
OFF TOPIC: Bills fork question

Bill you are going to need more than just a fork as fork with brake posts are all but extinct. Any rock shox that is not the dart and any fox fork will be a huge improvement. I would recommend the avid BB7 disc brake as it will probably work with the lever you already have. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a disc only up front. Of course the other issue is that you have to get a wheel with a disc hub. Seriously they dont even make good forks with brake posts any more. Dont put a fork with additional travel on as it will effect the geometry and handling and if your happy with it currently why change. Sticking with the same axle to crown height will do you well. You probably need a fork with 80mm travel. Many can be shimmed down to this.

I would not even consider a used suspension fork, I know exactly what the internals look like when they come off my bikes, worn out. Just imagine every used fork as an engine with 120,000 miles and no oil changes at all, not even so much as checking the level with the dip stick, this gets you close to the condition of most used forks, pour some sand and water in and were there. A used fork may look nice but it will be full of sludge that smells like cat crap.

A decent fork is not cheap expect to pay about 400 bucks. Since you probably need a new front wheel for the disc any way dont limit your self to standard 9mm drop outs like the fork you have, a 15mm thru axle is better in every way. A good air fork will allow you to adjust for loaded and unloaded weights. A rock shox solo air is particularly reliable. NO suspension product is low maintenance. Most never do preventive maintenance on forks even thought they typically have a service interval of only 100 hours, I recommend doing the maintenance or having it done.

The cheap way out is to go rigid. This has its own pros and cons.

Sirocco

Explorer
I vote Salsa Vaya.

I commute on mine every day. I have been touring on it and I have done 2 bikepacking events.

Steel frame, Awesome
Plenty of mounts for fenders, racks etc. 3 bottle cages.
clearance for 45c tyres. Im running 40c Smart Sams offroad and commuting on 33C Mud Wrestlers
High(ish) front end - very comfortable
BB5 disks which despite what is said above work really well and are very positive.
Swapped out bars for Woodchippers and its even more comfy

I have basically set it up as a poor mans Fargo :)

Dropped the gearing to 28/39 on the front also.

_0057.jpg

_0056.jpg

G

Jay H

servicedriven.org
Nice VAYA.
Nothing about the Vaya is poor. Its just a Fargo with a lower bottom bracket and a little bit less tire tire clearance. A lower Bottom bracket shell makes for stable road handling, and more pedal strikes in the rough. My mountain bike a very high bottom bracket shell so I find my self bashing pedals on the fargo at times. I guess the new 2nd generation Fargo also has the advantage of being able to run a suspension fork if desired. The Vaya has the same classy cast stainless drop outs. You should get out a dremel tool and polish those stainless rear drop outs. I polished the salsa logo on mine and it really classed it up even more. Salsa should have polished at the logo part of the drops from the factory.

Eventually your BB5 brake pads will wear out, it will take a little while if they are sintered metal, but on the other hand bb5 pads rarely wear straight so maybe it will be sooner than later. You sir are far more patient than I, I found BB5s to work but need frequent adjustment. When they do go look for close out BB5s, I have picked up a set with clean sweep rotors for 50 bucks each, almost the same cost as a rotor and pads. Its great the avid/sram makes BB5s and 7s for short or long pull levers.
I guess I should really put up some shots of my Fargo.

I really do think the OP will be better served with big tires as natural surface paths are in bounds for commuting and general transportation. FOr serious commuting and errand running fenders are good.

Jay h,
Thanks for your reply.
I am moving your reply over to the:
'Thoughts of suspension for an expedition bike' thread so I don't get two threads on the same subject going.
Thanks, bill

ywen

Explorer
I recently picked up a Windsor Tourist for $599 including shipping.. It's the poor man's Surly LHT.. Basically it's Fuji touring bike from like 2008 that they used to sell for $700-800.. Identical bike.. Bikes Direct is now producing the same bike under the Windsor name. Go on crazyguy and you'll find many ppl taking this bike on long tours.

It comes in 700c frame only so if you want 26" then this is not for you..

541150_10101456906509493_2201048_69183885_338075776_n.jpg

556076_10101457220969313_2201048_69186591_333233891_n.jpg

535974_10101436033259653_2201048_69076975_1707807405_n.jpg

Last edited:

whistler110

Observer
There's been some great advice so far, another bike to look at is the Kona Sutra. I has a more mountain bike feel but rides very nice and comes equipped well, jut don't use the front rack with out modification. 2 of us spent 2 weeks riding on the Pacific coast this past Fall and had zero issues.

Fresno

Adventurer
Born for expedition

To me, a expedtion bike must be strong enough to carry all the gear to support a multi week or month trip. Trailers work but, a couple bikes don't need the help.

The Condor MO-93. The real "Swiss Army Bike"
7fb43317.jpg

65534d4f.jpg

31cb7b78.jpg

Designed to carry 300 lbs. Even can carry your bazooka.

515114da.jpg

Runner up: Yuba Mundo

b44db193.jpg

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The ExPo project bike is a Salsa Fargo. It's gone through phase one as a fun singltrack adventure bike set up as a singlespeed. Phase two was the commuter phase. It's soon to be set up as a proper geared touring bike. As a versitile platform for touring off-piste, it's pretty impressive. I just wish I had popped for the Lynskey-built titanium version.

fargo6.jpg

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
By the way, this is my good buddy, Chad.

chad1.jpg

He has ridden the same bike from Alaska to Colorado. He then went from Alaska to Mexico via the Continental Divide. He is currently on his latest ride from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego. He's somewhere in Columbia at this point. That bike burried beneath all that gear is a 2001 Specialized Rockhopper with a retail value of about $750. Pretty amazing, but simple gear can do the trick if you let it.

jgolden

Adventurer
The ExPo project bike is a Salsa Fargo. It's gone through phase one as a fun singltrack adventure bike set up as a singlespeed. Phase two was the commuter phase. It's soon to be set up as a proper geared touring bike. As a versitile platform for touring off-piste, it's pretty impressive. I just wish I had popped for the Lynskey-built titanium version.

View attachment 95679

Looking forward to seeing this write-up.
I'd love to build a Ti Fargo for longer day rides and bikepacking!!!
In your opinion, how would this bike compare with a traditional road bike (like the long haul trucker) for bike touring?
jg

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Looking forward to seeing this write-up.
I'd love to build a Ti Fargo for longer day rides and bikepacking!!!
In your opinion, how would this bike compare with a traditional road bike (like the long haul trucker) for bike touring?
jg
That's a great question, and a tough question, too. The Fargo is a strange beast. It a nutshell, the latest generation of Fargo is really just a 29er mountain bike frame, but tweaked a bit to offer some long distance comforts. The wheelbase is obviously longer than most 29ers. The bottom bracket drop is lower, and the rider position far more relaxed. When I'm on the road riding my Fargo shoe'ed up with narrow slicks, it rolls effortlessly. It's stable, comfortable, and feels like a proper touring bike. Knocking down a full day in the saddle is no problem. On the flip side, if I put knobbiest on it and hit the singletrack, it does unbelievably well in technical terrain you'd think would stop it dead in it's tracks. It's clearly not going to win any XC races, but it's pretty nimble. So, what you want out of a Fargo is largely determined by how you build it.

I think the Fargo is ideal for anyone wanting the most versatile platform they can find. If you want to do a long road tour it'll do it with no problem. If you want to tackle a moderately technical bikepack tour, it'll do it. Even racing the 2700 mile Tour Divide race is not beyond the abilities of the Fargo. Neat bike. Really neat bike.

ywen

Explorer
what about the drop bar on the fargo? drop bars can't be too good in terms of control over rough terrain?

Jay H

servicedriven.org
A road style drop bar would be terrible. An off road drop drop like a WTB, salsa woodchipper or SOMA fabrications is quite different from a road drop. They tend to be
1 wider
2 shallow drop
3 the drop portion is flared outward

Off road drops are also generally set up for on the drops to be the most commonly used hand position. I use the flat part of mine rarely and occasionally use the hoods.

There are a lot of different bars out there now. Titec, Jones and Origin 8 make some odd ones. Bar choice is right up there with saddle choice for being personal as far as I am concerned.

It seems like the new 2nd gen fargo is more suited to flat bars than the first gen. I have seen plenty of 2nd gen fargos with standard mountain bike bars.

The fargo is not well suited to very rough terrain but gets by admirably. On smooth singe track with gently broad swooping gently radiused turns the Fargo shines. But then again I greatly prefer 26" wheels in the rough stuff. WHen I say rough stuff I mean black diamond + trails. I am sure i cound by quite well on the Fargo on stuff like porcupine rim in moab but it would be faster and more fun on other more technically capable bikes.

What makes the fargo well suited to hauling loads and very stable while sluggish when trying manuel, bunny hop, pump or sail over a gap jump is the very long chain stays. Seriously the wheel base is way stretched out its crazy long back there, the rear triangle makes a standard ortlieb pannier look small.

I wish my 1st gen fargo had a normal fork offset so I could run an enabler fork and try out a fat front set up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles