Lipstick on a Pig: The 10 Don'ts of Vehicle Modifications

craig333

Expedition Leader
Great post even if I dont' agree with #8. Some of the things I've seen over years just boggles the mind.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
#12.

Do not paint your car in colors that look like military or camo. You will attract undue attention, especially in foreign countries. When in doubt, reach for ExPo White! :sombrero:

sasaholic

Adventurer
I'm gonna get in trouble.....

1-roof racks
2-bumper mounted spare tire/cooler/gascan swing outs
3-too much lift for too little tire
4-big heavy bumpers, especially front ones.
5-roof top tents
6-heavy steel armor over everything
7-snorkels
8-light-duty vehicles that are 6000lbs+
9-rear heavy weight bias
10-TOO much bolt-on stuff....you know who you are! :)

Ok....I am going to go hide now.....

1. a rig thats so big it cant fit anywhere i want to camp

corax

Explorer
#12.

Do not paint your car in colors that look like military or camo. You will attract undue attention, especially in foreign countries. When in doubt, reach for ExPo White! :sombrero:

At one point I thought 12" round decals that looked kinda but not quite the same as the UN crest on the sides of my expo white Toyota would be a good idea, but then I realized any official logo might raise an opinion or prejudice.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Hey Scott. I hope you'll be popping back on the Portal here soon, I've got a dilemma and need some advice. After reading your thread here I immediately ran out to my Jeep and ripped out the CB. I than made a bracket and installed a brazier over the passenger's seat. Then I got some good coals out of the wood stove and an old army blanket out of storage and gave those smoke signals a go. Practice makes perfect and all that. Should I have used a native American trade blanket instead? Should I have soaked the blanket first? Have you done any articles on overland fire suppression systems?

The reason I ask is that that old army blanket caught fire and with the panicky flogging of it trying to put it out my Jeep caught fire. It's burning pretty good right now and any advice in a very timely manner would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You know, I probably should have pulled the Jeep out of the garage before coming in to post this....:elkgrin:

Ok, this is the post of the year right now....
:xxrotflma:jump::xxrotflma:jump:

theksmith

Explorer
everything in moderation...

new.jpg

TF3JeepRollbar1.jpg

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I can't believe no one has mentioned Truck Nutz....:coffeedrink:

In my rockcrawling days, we had a set between our group, if you broke, your truck had to wear the Nutz (they were blue)until the next guy broke. That was fun, mainly because my Jeep and 4runner, never had to sport them. :wings:

I would also add that starting any kind of trip with suspect parts or with a vehicle issue you hope will go away (it won't).

Jack

maximumrob

Adventurer
I'll throw in my two cents.

A bad mod is a 1,000 ft-lb diesel engine with a stock transmission backing it up.

An even worse idea is a $70k, lifted diesel 4x4 with low-profile street tires and Ranch Hand bumpers but the guy driving it only makes $40k. Just check Craigslist and you'll see a few "need to sell fast" ads on exactly this kind of truck!

chasespeed

Explorer
I'll throw in my two cents.

A bad mod is a 1,000 ft-lb diesel engine with a stock transmission backing it up.

Oh, you've seen those too huh?

Me, I built the engine, trans(NV4500), and all that around a plan.... and mine is reliable.....

BUT, ran outta money before the locker, and paint... so, its a multi colored, powerful all purpose rig:sombrero:

huskyfargo

Adventurer
I drive a JK, so I don't necessarily agree with the part about not modifying the engine. Anything that can be done to produce a few more ponies from the little mini-van engine is a plus as far as I'm concerned. I plan to put in a supercharger someday!

loren85022

Explorer
Maybe it's just me . . . .

images.jpg

. . . . but this add-on is my first clue I don't want to be following this guy down any paths.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94