Aluminum Framed Slide-Ins

sisu

Adventurer
it only took me 2 years to find and buy my truck. Now I am in the camper search. Northern Lite is #1 on my list but even used they are SO expensive. I have been researching campers and found that the industry did a big about face around 2005 or 6 in regards to aluminum frames.(see below)
1) Which manufacturers used aluminum for their TC frames in 1994?
a) Jayco
b) Alpenlite
c) Weekender
d) Four Wheel Campers

2) Which manufacturers use aluminum for their TC frames in 2006?
a) Alpenlite
b) Bigfoot
c) Arctic Fox
d) Lance
e) Outfitter
f) Host
g) Four Wheel Campers
h) Eagle Cap
i) Citation/Corsair

Of those listed so far I found that Lance and of course Bigfoot are don't have rubber or membrane roof material. (I definately want to stay away from anything like a membrane or rubber roof.

thanks Scott

deminimis

Explorer
Bigfoot used aluminum frames in their 3000 series slide-ins only. Doesn't appear Bigfoot offers the 3000 series anymore. The 1500 and 2500 employ a different construction method (two-piece clamshell design, like a boat and, thus no frame/studs in aluminum or otherwise and not needed). I walk on my roof when needed. The thing is freak'n bombproof....heavy, but bombproof.

TBRV

Bigfoot & Northern lite are certainly well built units that are generally superior in duability & quality. Even used they are usually in great shape. I find the owners of these units tend to look after them very well (not sure if it's pride of ownership or the dollars involved).

The conventional camper brands you listed can be very good but are more prone to issues with jack mounts, structural failures in overhang and rear door. If you are considering a used camper the condition can be as important as the brand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior